Senior Member..now yer posting! DNT H8's Avatar

"Team Z" Kmember install on a Fox Mustang: How to and tips

I wanted to record my experience on swapping out a K member and everything involved with it. I really found it hard to find anything on the web to help give me a heads up on any possible issues. I went with a Team Z K, arms, and strange coil overs. I went with them becuse of a few reasons... reputation, PRICE, and I couldnt allow anything other than stock wheel placement due to running a 235/40/18 tire plus a large backspacing rim. I realize this wont have much interest on here, but hope it can add some insight to those with a Mustang who might be considering this project.
    First I recieved the K and arms by fedex, the coils had to be dropped shipped by strange. Shipping was fast btw. When I got home to see my package with high excitement it was quickly ruined by this:

The powder coat was gone and the metal scuffed in affected spots. The K was just put in a box with NO wrap, although the arms were extreamly well packaged...
    Ok time to get to work...

I supported the body by the front frame rails like so to stop any sagging of the front end.

There were no instructions with the package they are on the Team Z website.

Getting the old K and arms etc out is pretty straight forward, do a web search on any how to's.
    FYI there is no hardware included with the K, It says it comes with it in the You Tube video but on the website it clearly shows an option to buy it.
    So I bought all new from the local fastenal, I got all 10.9 or grade 8 everything for a great price.I know Team Z says its overkill but I'm a lil OCD and like the peace of mind it gives me. I had NO clue on the sizes needed and had to call to get them!! Arms to K 5/8 by 4.5, K to frame rail M14 by 4.5, rack do not use the stock bolts way to long. Get M12 by 5.5.

I used washers on everything as well, you need to notch them on the K though.

Ok so now that the old K is out I took this time to clean up the rails. I used rust mort then hit it with professional rustoleum. Never used rusto before but I gotta say I was impressed. Lays down great and its finish seems very durable.
    Before:

After:

I took this time to have the SN-95 spindles powder coated.

And upgrade to ES poly motor mounts from vert mounts. Note: it raised the motor about an 1/8th.

Now I soon realized an issue right away.

So i had too do this. Note: Drivers side motor mount guide pin fits fine.

This is part of the reason Im doing this. I had the damn K in and then realized the above, so out came the K :shifty:. But the K bolted up preatty darn easy. Testiment to the quality of Team Z stuff.WOW got some room to work now lol.

Now you need to run washers on the balljoint to make this work.

5/8th hardened washers fyi.

Time for coil overs :evilgrin:
    The quality of strange was great no issues setting up and came with great instructions. I already had strange 10 way struts.

A lil trick, use a cut up plastic milk jug to put under the CC plates to stop from screwing up the paint during alignment

Now the Team Z instructions said to use offset rack bushing. But I wanted to try without. Its a no
    go... NOTE: You do not have to open up the PS system just unbolt the rack and wire it up to the sway bar

My MM shaft wouldnt match up either.

So in came.... NOTE: The Team Z instuctions have the offset rack bushings in the DOWN position they need to be in the UP position!!

I used cap head bolt (allen) thought it looked cleaner then a hex head style.

All set....

Here are some before and afters to show what a great change this is over stock.

After...

This kit saved me 55lbs over stock. I put it all on a home scale and it comes in at a 55lb savings regardless of internet folklore. I can break it all down if anyone would like. Over all impressions of Team Z kit.... Awesome quality especially for the price!! I do not regret my decision... I would of been a lil bit happier with better instructions, better packaging of product, more adjustment in the holes were the K bolts to the rail. I had to ream a few spots of the K's holes to square it up. This was the Cars fault not the K btw. Hardware should be an option to delete not to buy imo. As I was under the impression it came with due to the youtube video. In the End Team Z gets my vote as a high end player, with real world prices, and quality parts... I have not driven the car yet to give any feedback on the part, I will update this thread once I do... I hope this helps anyone in the future who decides to go down this road.
    Last edited by DNT H8; 10-13-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: ...
    1989 Mustang <--- Stock ; )
    2011 Mustang 5.0 <--- Blown
    2002 Focus <--- Winter beater
    2014 Escape Titanium <--- Family
    2013 Flex Limited <--- Family

During my test drive I had 0 noise, it was very quiet. Car seems lighter on its feet and the front raises effortlessly. Might be just my imagination but the car seemed much more resonsive and sure footed. I went over a few bumps at a good rate of speed and no odd noise. Turning also had 0 noise as well!
    I really feel the 55lbs off the front end too, reminds me how different it feels with or without a passenger... I should be below the 3000lbs mark now. Time for an alignment...

Stance Before:

Stance After: Note: I used 12/170 springs

Interesting write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I've always tossed around the idea of replacing my stock K-member

nice write up. looks good!
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

I would have been calling up Team Z and bitching about the shipping damage. Those are expensive K members and if your going to spend that kind of money you should get damage free goods.

But nice write up. I like how you built a engine support and also how you protected all the painted surfaces.

Are the ball joints threaded or press in?

Quote Originally Posted by smokin'red35th View Post
    Interesting write-up. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I've always tossed around the idea of replacing my stock K-member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    nice write up. looks good!
    Thx guys thats half the point of these forums right... spread the knowledge and helpful tips.

YooFormula a visit to you is next on the list actually. Just need to pull the intake to get the runners cleaned up a lil, port matched them but want them cleaner then shes all yours.
    Last edited by DNT H8; 10-14-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    I would have been calling up Team Z and bitching about the shipping damage. Those are expensive K members and if your going to spend that kind of money you should get damage free goods.
    But nice write up. I like how you built a engine support and also how you protected all the painted surfaces.
    Are the ball joints threaded or press in?
    I did call them to speak my mind but was met with "ya we are not responsible for how the shipping Co ships the box, but well have to do better on that in the future". I didnt feel like dealing with shipping it back (although that was not offered), I just wanted to get it in. Thanks and ball joints are press-in.

Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar
    I just picked up a 87 vert gt with coil overs and a tubular k member. And it is hands down the best driving fox I've ever owned. No more creaks or rattles when hitting bumps and with the bigger slotted rotors this thing stops on a dime. I would suggest this mod to anyone who owns one after spending some seat time in mine and feeling how much better it makes the car handle and ride

Yes deff a great mod especially on a vert! Great way to shed the extra weight they bring to the table... And the edition of coil overs (jumping it into the 21st century lol) really improves the ride quality in ever aspect.

Typical BS from a company, Shipping company's don't pack the items, so that excuse would just add more fuel to the fire.

The ball joint/ spacer issue can be fixed by going with Steeda X2 ball joints, or Moog 94-95. Had to do that with my old Mustang. I went with Steeda and it was a noticeable difference in bumpsteer.

What color is that?

Nice work! I think I like the new slightly raked stance better.
    "LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT"

'95 Rio Red Cobra 347 stroked SOLD!!
    '73 Mach 1 351 2v mostly stock
    '07 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200XLN SOLD!!
    '06 GMC Envoy (wifes DD)
    '03 Ford F150 XLT FX4 (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Typical BS from a company, Shipping company's don't pack the items, so that excuse would just add more fuel to the fire.

What color is that?
    I know thats why I just moved on....

Its a custom color but the origin is from saab... plus played with the value shade to get the flip flop effect under certain light.

Quote Originally Posted by 73MACH View Post
    Nice work! I think I like the new slightly raked stance better.
    Thanks bro... from ground to fender im at 25in front and 26.5 rear. The back looks a lil higher than it really is in that pic. I think my air bag in the spring still has some air in it. But ya with the offset of the rims, a light rake, and lowered give a nice look.

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    Car is sharp looking. The way it sits now is down right sexy

All team z stuff on my car, always a great product that works. Nice write up!

Quote Originally Posted by That_Guy View Post
    Car is sharp looking. The way it sits now is down right sexy
    I appreciate that brother... Means a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    All team z stuff on my car, always a great product that works. Nice write up!
    Thank you... BTW they just came out wih new upper and lower control arms last week.

Very nice car and a great write up. I might get around to putting a tubular k under my fox at some point.