Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The term "sloppy" is relative... this is because "mil-spec" means there is a max and minimun tolerance for the machined parts. Take this example, ABC pin fits into XYZ hole, mil-spec on the pin is .250" +/- .003", mil-spec on the hole is .257" +/- .003"....Now if you have a pin machined at the max. tolerance of .253" and a hole machined to the minimum spec of .254" you wind up with .001" clearance... a tight fit. Now on the other hand, if you have a pin at the minimum, .247" and hole at the max, .260" you have .013" clearance, and a "sloppy" feel. So you could take your upper and go around to different lowers and custom fit them, or just buy an accu-wedge and tighten things up.

I have a DPMS 24" rifle, bought in 2005 and shot at least 2000 rounds per year, at least. Thats 14,000 rds... the rifle started out with a decent fit between the upper and lower, now it has a little more movement. Does it affect the accuracy? Nope, not at all.

Also, none of my DPMS fire control part broke either...

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

^^^ correct again, simply looking at the design of that firearm tells you 100% of accuracy is related to upper. upper alone.

My annual question now that I see the prices dropping: How much for the cheapest, ugliest, "dont care what its made of" AR10 lower?
    I've seen some kinda reasonable 260 uppers, just need a cheap azz lower to mate it too....mate I always get warm saying that!
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    Here's the parts kit I'm thinking of buying. I can upgrade any of the parts if need be, like the trigger pin if thats a problem. Btw this kit doesn't come with a lower so getting a better one from another manufacturer should fix the sloppyness? I'm looking at the Oracle kit. I think for the money and how I will use this gun, it should work out great for me. Do you guys think this would be worth the time and money? Thx guys.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...-56-ORACLE-KIT
    I wouldn't hesitate in picking up a Delton lower from Brian. I have two of them that fit well with my various upper assemblies. I'm sure Reaper Tacticle would be a find choice as well.
    Delton makes a variety of rifle kits that can be customized and it should mate up great to a Delton lower. http://www.del-ton.com/ar_15_kits_s/1.htm
    The Brownell kit looks like you'll need to do the barrel assembly if you have the tools and are comfortable with that. Getting an assembled upper that comes with the bolt carrier group usually means its been head spaced and test fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops Brother View Post
    The term "sloppy" is relative... this is because "mil-spec" means there is a max and minimun tolerance for the machined parts. Take this example, ABC pin fits into XYZ hole, mil-spec on the pin is .250" +/- .003", mil-spec on the hole is .257" +/- .003"....Now if you have a pin machined at the max. tolerance of .253" and a hole machined to the minimum spec of .254" you wind up with .001" clearance... a tight fit. Now on the other hand, if you have a pin at the minimum, .247" and hole at the max, .260" you have .013" clearance, and a "sloppy" feel. So you could take your upper and go around to different lowers and custom fit them, or just buy an accu-wedge and tighten things up.

I have a DPMS 24" rifle, bought in 2005 and shot at least 2000 rounds per year, at least. Thats 14,000 rds... the rifle started out with a decent fit between the upper and lower, now it has a little more movement. Does it affect the accuracy? Nope, not at all.

Also, none of my DPMS fire control part broke either...
    Many things about the AR platform are relative. Somebody asked for an opinion so I gave mine. Course, you know my feelings about DPMS. That doesn't mean every rifle they sell is going to fall apart with the first pull of the trigger. I've simply heard industry rumors about the direction they are heading with their manufacturing outsourcing practices that bother me so I avoid them to play it safe. Doesn't mean it's true or everyone else has to follow my lead.

Back to the original topic, Del-ton makes a fine lower. I have no complaints, I was simply giving Brian shit.

Regarding manufacturing tolerances, there are companies that hold tighter than milspec tolerances, therefore you get a more consistent fit. For example the manufacturer that cuts my receivers holds tolerances to +/- .001".

In the end (like already said), the accuracy of the rifle lies in the upper. Some hobby builders want tighter tolerances and if that's what you're looking for spend more money. In the end almost all of them will propel a projectile.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Post whore
    Yeah I've assembled 2 AR 15's already. So I know how they go together and I also have the barrel wrench and other tools to do so. I also have a go no-go set in 5.56.