habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

LT1/T56 clutch issues

Long story short, I picked up a cam/heads 95 Z28 that supposedly had a blown trans. After having the T56 rebuilt, I found that the actual problem was a shredded rear end. Put a set of Motive 4.10's in, all good.

Now since getting it all together, I've had nothing but problems getting the clutch to disengage. The car starts fine, but once it's running, the clutch doesn't seem to be disengaging completely and I have to force it into gear. The car had a Spec stage 2 clutch when I first got it which was way too aggressive for this car. The throwout bearing was also loose since the retaining clip had broken, not sure how long he had driven it like that. I bled the the hydraulics, no change. Replaced the hydraulics with a pre-bled factory linkage, no change. Replaced the clutch/pressure plate with a factory style part from NAPA, no change. New throwout bearing, no change.

Before replacing the hydraulics, I thought the problem was either a bad master or slave. I was able to take the slave adapter off and close the gap about half and inch and was able to get the clutch to release and drive somewhat normally. Figured a new linkage would fix it but no joy. After installing the new linkage, I also noticed that the strap holding the cap on the slave rod did not break after depressing the pedal the first time, as it is my understanding is supposed to happen. Another thing is the clutch fork, it's super loose. I know it's supposed to pivot on the t-bolt, but even after engaging the throwout bearing, it moves over an inch, really sloppy. I've ordered a new fork and pivot, but I want to know that might be the issue before I take this transmission out for a third time. I don't think the fork can be slid onto the throwout the wrong way, can it? It's either on or off I would think. Could the pivot be bad/worn and cause this? Could the fork be bent? I'm at my wit's end with this car. Any help is much appreciated.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Wow, what a mess. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

Every transmission I’ve had apart, the clutch fork will only fit the pilot bearing one way. (So the fork , not the bearing, would be pressing on the clutch if it was installed backwards)
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    1986 Mazda RX-7 13B Turbo
    2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, low, slow daily
    2000 Saturn SC1 - RWD project, broken
    1996 Suzuki Bandit 600
    1997 Golf GTI mid engine vr6

Judging by what you posted I agree the next thing I would try would be fork and pivot... Shouldn't be much if any play in there really, maybe the agressive clutch caused the fork and pivot to wear, or get bent, etc.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Kill it with fire.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

All the feedback I've gotten points to a worn fork and/or pivot. And since everything else except for the pedals is brand new, honestly, what else could be wrong? Trans is coming out one more time this weekend and the fork, pivot and bolt are getting replaced with new factory parts. If that doesn't fix it, I give up.

So no dyno today I take it?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

It wasn't going on the dyno anyway since I had no time to break in the new gears and clutch. At this point, I just want to DRIVE it before the snow flies...

Ended up being a combination of worn out hydraulics, worn fork/pivot, loose throwout bearing and a warped flywheel. Took it apart one more time today, had the flywheel resurfaced and put the Spec clutch back in it and it's all good. Finally get to put some miles on it before storing it for the winter.

For those keeping score, the T56 was in and out four (4) times during this shit show. I can do it blind folded at this point.
    Last edited by Mr. Brett; 10-09-2012 at 06:53 PM.