Anybody experience a carbureted motor conversion to Fuel Injected?

So, i am getting a new motor for my car, its likely going to be ..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-SBC-40...&forceRpt=true

Now, considering that is Carbureted, would that work in my (formerly TPI) camaro? Its the 92 Z28, All I have is to put on there is TPIS' Miniram Air Intake manifold and my computer harness is still in the car.

My understanding is
    1) Making sure i have the proper distributor that will plug into my wiring harness.
    2) Re-map computer, via dyno tuning at WBD or ?
    3) I kept sensors out of the old block/cylinder heads, they should fit right in.
    4) The Intake manifold I have has a dual - bolt pattern that will fit both pre-87 heads & newer style heads.
    5) Have a transmission/converter that will handle that, which I do. Not too sure about my 10-bolt though.
    6) Bigger injectors, not sure what size though???

Anything else????

Thanks for your input...

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 67-400 View Post
    Now, considering that is Carbureted, would that work in my (formerly TPI) camaro?
    My initial gut reaction is no...but I could be wrong of course. Don't view my post as authoritative by any means.

Would it physically go in, everything bolt-up, and actually run? Sure...but on the running, not very well I would imagine. That's a lot of engine for that older fuel injection to work with. I've personally have never seen anyone using the older FI stuff make that much power, which isn't saying it couldn't be done or hasn't been done. It just probably isn't very practical to do....since it's a very burn-and-try-and-burn-and-try proposition that may never yield the desired results, yet cost considerable amounts of money to accomplish.

My first reaction seeing the price of the engine is that for less money you could probably source an engine/trans and buy the wire-harness adapters to get a good running 6.0 truck engine/etc or even an all AL LS1/2/etc that for all intents and purposes makes similar power, far more driveable and tuneable using the stock FI set-up...and is far more modable in the future....again, while being cheaper.

Or going with that engine and purchasing an aftermarket FI set-up from the various manufactures...I know wayne (gramp) uses an old mopar, 416 ci, radical heads, big cam, etc that makes grossly similar power and has a very nice MPFI set-up on his...actually has a multi-throttle-body too, and it gets him all he wants from FI in that it's very driveable, easy starts, etc...so much so that I might make a similar change to an aftermarket FI set-up to the LRT (I'm hating choke-adjustments right now, lol).
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 09-24-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Thanks for that briefing, did you mean that it won't work with the TPI? Or the computer & harness itself? The TPI Manifold I have eliminated and got that miniram intake, similar to the Holley Stealthram. A bit more flow-friendly.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 67-400 View Post
    Or the computer & harness itself?
    My understanding would be the computer. It's not that it couldn't do it...it's that the tuning to get it there would be the hurdle, since it's not a very tune friendly set-up.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    You can definitely get it to work. You're probably going to have to swap a fuel pump/lines too.

I'd just get a Megasquirt and be done with it.
    2008 Saab 9-7x Aero
    1986 Mazda RX-7 13B Turbo
    2002 Saturn SC2 - Clean, low, slow daily
    2000 Saturn SC1 - RWD project, broken
    1996 Suzuki Bandit 600
    1997 Golf GTI mid engine vr6

I would buy all new sensors, they're cheap and can be a pain in the ass to chase a bad one. Your going to need a 38-42lb injector for 515 N/A HP and I would think a 255lph intank and stock fuel lines would support it.
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    I would buy all new sensors, they're cheap and can be a pain in the ass to chase a bad one. Your going to need a 38-42lb injector for 515 N/A HP and I would think a 255lph intank and stock fuel lines would support it.
    Just what did NOT want to hear. lol, thanks. Anyone ever drop a gas tank in a 3rd gen before to get to the pump? Simple? I suppose if I can pull the motor/trans out I could probably figure it out but, any tips?