Thread: Stave!

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Stave!

I just wanted to point out....
    Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    For a walk-on status player, I'd be really surprised if he's a starting QB for them anytime soon.
    Well, he didn't start the game, but it looks like he'll be finishing the game...and not because they're way up either

Okay, so he's not the solution to the badgers problems....BUT...it's good to see a local boy making good

The first few minutes of the video is him tearing it up against the Greendale Panthers, the team/school I work for. We'd win the game easily...but it was something watching in HS.

Still the best QB I've ever seen at either college or HS level (previous were John Navarre who'd make it to some third string jobs in the NFL, and Zak Kustok of Notre Dame/Northwestern, the latter employed me as an ATC intern for a season).

On another note, I may have watched the next Russell Wilson last week too...Conner Senger of PiusXI is a WI recuit...same basic built/type QB that Russell Wilson is (shorter, great arm, dangerous runner and a hell of a field general).
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I remembered that old thread early this season as well. Cool to see if he gets the starting nod but the other side is that it's really only because this offense has been miserable. Hopefully he can be a spark if given a chance.

I would like to say I saw/played against Romo play in HS, he played us but I didn't pursue football after freshman year. Oh well .
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First start today...against an "okay" team...12-17, 215 yds, 1TD/1INT. But looked much better than O'Brien doing it imo.

They're also getting significant time to another area player, Derek Watt (JJ's younger brother) and also another "preferred walk-on "red-shirt FR. Another guy I've watched as he came up through Pewaukee. Same with Melvin Gordon of Kenosha Bradford who got a TD today as well...a fair amount of FR's were out there.

It's fun to see these guys as they come up through the HS ranks and get some time playing D1.

Funniest thing I saw was on the sideline, a former GDHS player was suited up (but redshirting) who walked on (not preferred, either)...but hey, to even suit up is a big deal.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 09-23-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

He did pretty good, however, big10 season starts next Sat night the Badgers will be lucky to win 3 more games this year. They need a coaching change.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

I think Stave overall did good. I have slightly more confidence in him than O'Brien, plus I favor Stave because then we can develop a 4 year starter instead of getting into a 1 and done routine with transfers. There were plenty of passes late/behind receivers but overall I think he deserves to keep the starting job. Goal #1 is to always protect the ball, turnovers will make fans hate you faster than anything. He got hit pretty good a few times but held on to the ball so that was good to see.

I love Gordon. There are no concerns with Montee Ball getting hurt as White and Gordon can easily pickup the slack. I think the Badgers offense has a decent future if Stave and Gordon can stay healthy. Now we just need to continue working on that O-line and find some WRs besides Abredaris (probably spelled wrong).

I see us going .500 in B10 play.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    He did pretty good, however, big10 season starts next Sat night the Badgers will be lucky to win 3 more games this year. They need a coaching change.
    If you are referring to a head coaching change, you won't see it for at least a few years. Remember, the Badgers won the B10 two years in a row (1st was a share) so he isn't going to get axed simply for not winning the conference for a third year in a row. Also, he is replacing 6 of 9 assistant coaches. Any time you have that much turnover in a program, there will be a drop in performance as everyone makes adjustments to what they have to work with.

Don't get me wrong, it's frustrating as a Badger fan to see Bielema's trademark "wtf?" facial expression every time the camera pans to him during a game. But with the amount of talent on the field and in the coaching box we lost, the drop off this year isn't necessarily a surprise. If he goes sub-.500 2-3 years in a row then he will probably get bounced. However Barry hand picked him as his successor so he's going to give him more time.

Blog Entries
    I'll say 5-3. We'll beat everyone from our leaders division except for Ohio state (so beating Purdue, Illini, Indiana, and Penn State). In the cross division games, we'll drop to Nebraska and Michigan St, but beat Minnesota.

The weird thing is, really, to get to the conference championship game, all one has to do is beat Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. That's it! Ohio St. and Penn St. are both ineligible to compete (Ohio can be division champ, but can't compete in the Big10 conference champ game).

As far as how Stave did, I really liked his composure. He made more than a few mistakes, all are correctable. Despite having played in intra-squad scrimmages, there is nothing like being in the real games though...you don't get hit as hard, and the defenses aren't schemed as well...this was his first true live experience, and it wasn't horrible. A couple of times he was flushed out and got his feet back and made good throws for completions. He also had a couple decent runs, gaining 23 yds on 4 carries (sacks and fumbled hand off left him with negative yds rushing though). You could tell that he needs more fine tuning for the deep ball...he's got the arm strength to throw beyond the receivers easily, so that wasn't the issue...my guess is just getting used to throwing deep balls in games/not practice will help there.

But I agree with Brian...you're not going to see Brett go anywhere for a while. Especially the way the conference is divided up for now they'll consistently do pretty good.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Stave had a good first half but like the entire Badger team, they fell apart big time in the second half. It didn't help that our kicker cost us 4 points and most likely the game. Still, being 12-23 I think Stave still has to be more accurate. 50% throwing percentage isn't going to win you games (most of those being under thrown). If he can get that up to 60-70% and not turn it over, we should be good the rest of the year. Tough loss.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomPshhTsi View Post
    Stave had a good first half but like the entire Badger team, they fell apart big time in the second half.
    I was at my 20th HS reunion last night, so I didn't get to watch them blow it...iirc, they were up 20-3 when I last saw, and they were looking like they were in control and liked what I saw. Not terribly worried about how they were falling apart at the moment, since they (the whole team) are still relatively young, and that's not uncommon to see of young teams who don't know how to react (they get excited and play not to loose, or worse, like THEY are down)...be it in football, basketball, baseball, etc...

It'd worry my more if they continue to do this late in the season, or in a couple years when many of these freshmen/sophmores are junior/seniors...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

I wish Stave well but...man it's hard to watch him play. Pretty bad that he is the best option. It shouldn't be this hard to recruit a legit QB for a program like this.

Yes I realize this is an old thread .
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

He sucks!
    1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build