Anyone know the Ford 4r70w or 4r75w?

I had my 2004 Mustang 4r75w transmission rebuilt by DirtyDog Performance in Ohio. But after a shady deal, lots of lies and other BS I don't trust his work. Is there anyone in WI or even IL that would know the 4r70w or 4r75w? Don't waste your finger typing to posting Marv with C&M, that's another story right along DirtyDog. I need someone to check over his work and give me the ok to drop it in the car. If someone knows a thing or two, I'll pay for gas and a six pack of beer to visit my house in the Falls.

Thank you,

Josh
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Message Fritz aka Portponies. He is the only one I would trust to go through a Ford Transmission right.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Re: Anyone know the Ford 4r70w or 4r75w?

Josh, share me your story with Dirty Dog. I was wanting a converter from him but I haven't spent any money yet.

I am wrapping up a build on a 4R70 right now. I am not a guru but I am pretty familiar with these transmissions. To "check over" a transmission that is previously unused (i.e. recently rebuilt) is kind of a loaded request in that there are a lot very small things that can cause major issues. And so, for a guy to be 100% certain and sign off on a transmission, he would have to take it damn near completely down. And that can actually take a significant amount of time.

I mean, we could crack it open, look at it and say, "yup, it's got new clutches in it..." and put it back together, but to verify that he didn't roll a lip seal or make sure he hit all the clearances etc.... can take some time. You need to decide how much time/money you want to spend on investigating it. Think about it and let me know.

You are in a tough position with a potentially sketch trans,a very expensive converter, and a t-bird that is a bitch to change transmissions in. If it wasn't for those last two, I would just tell you to throw it in and see what happens... it's probably be fine.

Otherwise, if your looking for a shop, I saw a built 4R at Late model throttle that was going in a car and they said ATD in Germantown built it. From what I hear they have a very good reputation.

Dirty Dog and Silver Fox both have quite the shady reputations. There is at least one other person here that has a bad experience.

Here is my complaint I filed with BBB and TCCoA.com

OxmanWI complaint:

On April 24th I sent Alan $445 via PayPal for a Dynotech driveshaft. I give him an extra $20 for taking the time to order it for me. I could have done this on my own, but I thought I would be nice from one member to another so he could make a little profit.

I also asked him about the price and what I could get for my 1996 transmission and TC’s.

On May 10th I emailed and PM’d him about the status of my driveshaft:

“I will call them Monday and see where it is they said they had to order one of the parts I guess I ran them out lol”
    During this time, I was planning to have my 1996 Thunderbird and 2004 Mustang transmissions with torque converters freight shipped to him in Ohio.

On May 11th I had a freight shipping company ship both transmissions and TC’s to his house in Ohio .

On May 15th Alan sent me this email to inform me that he received the shipment:

“I got your transmissions; I will never accept freight I did not arrange again I should have refused it. I had to unload the whole damn skid by myself into the family bus and all the transmission fluid ruined my carpet. The driver was a jack ass and the cleaning bill is going to consume my profit”
    So I thought he was a business? Does he not have a loading dock or fork lift? He should have told me that he needed a lift gate so I could have put that on the shipping order. He should have refused and asked for a lift gate or contacted me first. He also said the driver was an a-hole and didn’t help him. Then he should have called me, I would ***** at the company and then he would get his help.

I called him that afternoon after the email. Alan talked to me for two minutes, telling me, “The wife is pissed about the carpet”. I drained both transmissions before shipping, but it’s my fault you loaded dirty parts in your family car? I told him I would cover the damage of the carpet to keep things claim. After he basically hung up on me, I sent him an email to call me back when he is ready to talk about the rebuild and TC for my set up.

Couple days after that, On May 17th I called DynoTech to ask if Alan had ever placed the order for the driveshaft. I talked to a Randy, and he said Alan had never called or email them about any orders this year.

So he basically lied and held on to my money, NEVER bought my driveshaft.

On May 17th I sent Alan an email to have the transmission rebuilt and buy a Dirty Dog TC

His response:

“I will try to assemble a list in the next few days on the transmission just trying to get caught up. I just started a new helper so hopefully it’s getting better. I have a few tricks for these transmissions I don’t mention in public”

On May 30th no response on the rebuild or TC. But I did send an email to let him know that he could just hang on the driveshaft since it was never shipped to me.

His response:

“I will be in touch at the end of the week, I spoke with Jim at dynotech a few minutes ago so it’s all being taken care of. I got a helper here to help me for the week so maybe I can get bailed out of this rut"
    This was yet another lie; I called Dynotech right after he sent that email. Randy and Jim said he never called or emailed about a driveshaft.

On June 4th I sent an email asking about his True Cooler and line set up to see if he could make me a set and add that to the bill.

His response:

“Yes I can do that, I’ll have to get my car in the shop this week and build another set on it”
    OxmanWI Complaint page 2...

On July 2nd I sent him an email asking about any progress.

His response:

“I have been meaning to contact you and find out what day you would like to come get this so I can try to set it up for then. I have been getting beat up by a problem child mustang but as of yesterday it is done (6 months of computer related aggravation) it took half an army to figure it out but it’s done Nothing worse than a car that can only be scanned by a high end sct dealer after converting the binary editor file and installing it onto a chip. What a nightmare, all because the guy brought it here with no fuel and a busted gauge. It ran out of fuel pulling it out of the shop after repairs and it backfired when it ran out of fuel, pinning the IAC valve wide open. The PCM does not respond to a scanner with the ship installed. The 50lbhr injectors require the chip (SC motor ) . I am just glad to be done fighting it I lost my tail on that one in hours.”
    What have you been doing in the past month since I last emailed you? I’m sorry hear about your problem child mustang, but what does that have to do with my Transmission, TC and Cooler with lines???

During the dates of July 2nd and July 17th we swapped emails to plan a pick up date. So I could drive to Ohio and pick up the Transmission, Driveshaft, TC and Cooler with lines. We finally agreed on July 26th for pick up in the afternoon.

On July 26th I drove to Ohio to pick up my 04' Transmission, TC, driveshaft and True Cooler with lines. Alan only rebuilt my Transmission and had my driveshaft. He never built my TC or ordered my True Cooler with lines. I was very upset about this. From my emails and private messages asking him a few times about having a TC built! He said he never got that email, but responded to it!

One excuse that just infuriated me was the “Junk Email Excuse”. Alan said sometimes email messages will get sent to his junk mail. Then why wouldn’t you check your junk folder? If you’re a business why wouldn’t you check your junk folder after your inbox? I do this every time I check my email. Piss-Poor-Excuse if not a bull faced lie.

The bill was $900. He printed out a bill that did not explain what I was paying for. On his website the 4R70W rebuild kit is $390, so he basically charged me over $400 in labor. I was nice enough to throw in $100 for the damage to the carpet in his family van that was never shown to me. When I asked him about buying my old parts in exchange for a reduced total bill he claimed he never said that. He lied; I have the private forum messages saying so in the beginning of my complaint.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...64/alanRAT.jpg

One other thing, he spray painted my transmission black. Never asked me if I wanted my transmission painted black. To be honest, I wish he would have asked first, because I DID NOT want it to be black. I like the stock grey aluminum color. But that is ruined now.

I have proof of all the emails and PMs. I can print screen any email mesages if needed.

In conclusion, I’m disgusted and very disappointed in Alan. My experience has been very frustrating and I will never do business with him again. He sat on my transmission for two months until I finally lit a fire under his ass to get him going. I don’t know how he has managed to stay in business this long while treating me and others with such poor customer service. The worst part is now I have this transmission that is rebuilt? How do I know he didn't cut corners or screw me out of new parts for used ones. I just don't trust it...I don't know what I'm going to do with it now.

I hope that he will clean up his act and make things right with the people he has done wrong with.

Thank you,

Josh
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I'll check with ATD they are a few minutes away so that would work I guess. I'll get a quote from them and I'll get back to you. What would you want for your time? Maybe you could teach me a thing or to about 4r75w, because I don't shit when it comes to a trans or TC. You can PM me if you want.

Thank you,
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 09-13-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

You should post that to Click Click.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

Anyone know the Ford 4r70w or 4r75w?

Damn Josh that sucks man! I hope you get it sorted out!

Holy shit. Thanks for sharing, it's good to know.

BCM Cruiser
    I got about 3-400 miles on his converter between rebuilds .....(twice)

I took my transmission to ATD Inc. in Germantown, WI last week. I asked them to tear it down and look over Alan’s work from the rebuild kit I bought on his website. Fix any issues and dyno the transmission with my Circle D torque converter.

I get a call yesterday at work. “We need you to come in so we can explain some issues with the rebuild kit you got from this guy.”

If you look at his rebuild kit from his website you can clearly see that the kit comes with 4 raybestos reverse clutch frictions, 6 raybestos forward frictions and brand new steels.

I went to ATD today and took pictures of the forward and reverse clutch frictions as well as burnt used steels. I’m missing one reverse, one forward friction and have used BURNT steels. See pictures.

The other thing was the clearances. The 5 forward clearance was .072, the reverse was .062 and the 7 direct friction was .015. I was told this was off and was bad. I have no idea what the clearances are supposed to be, but I was told this was not done right.

Other than missing the clutch frictions, used burnt steels and off clearances everything else checked out. But I’m missing parts, have used parts and clearances were bad. Does that sound good to anyone? I think not.

Here is Alan's rebuild I bought. Copy and pasted everything to fit in a picture file.

Here is the mechanics notes on the missing parts, have used parts and clearances. I blocked out my number.

5 Forward

3 Reverse

USED BURNT STEELS!!!

-Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

You need to post this on clickclick and bust him out on it.

Clearances, should be .005-.010" per clutch on all except the Direct Clutch which most shoot for about .010-.015" per clutch.

The 0.015 total on the Direct is the biggest offence. Those are the ones that burn up the easiest, and with that little bit of clearance, it'd be guaranteed. Should be 0.07-0.105. That's just bad.

The one less reverse clutch and five forward is really no big deal. But, I understand. That's not what you thought you were getting.

The intermediate steels... ALL the steels should be new, so to have used steels is bad enough, but to not even scuff them...jeez.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    holy shit, just read through this. Hope things get sorted out for ya, even thoguh it looks like a huge mess at this point.

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

What is clickclick? Can you post a link? I tried to search for it on google.

Thanks for that info, like I said before I know nothing about transmissions.

Right now we are going back and forth on TCCoA in the moderator forum. I haven’t posted anything public yet until we reach some sort of agreement. But like I expected he is lying and acting like a little shady bitch.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Clickclickracing.com. I assumed that is where/how you heard of Dirty Dog. I didn't know he was active on other forums as well.

I see what you're talking about. I'm not a forum member there, but if you want to post my complaint there you are more than welcome to do so. I'm not going out of my way to join a forum and bash him just for joining. The 5 five forums that I'm a part of should be enough exposure. TCCoA, SCCoA, Corral, LightningRodder and already made a case on this forum.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird