Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member..now yer posting!

Shed some light?

Buddy of mine picked up a 94 Mustang GT with the 5.0, 5 speed. Put a 70mm throttle body on it, bigger injectors, fuel pump, digital 6 msd, and topped it with an On3 performance turbo kit with a 70mm turbo. Pushing 11psi the dyno he was on says he is pushing 496whp and 567torque. Im not new to stangs but this sounds WAY to high for this application. Any opinions on this?

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Sounds a little high, I'd be a little surprised that his turbo put down that much torque for sure...but I'm not the expert on Mustangs, there are a few on here that put down good numbers.

Fwiw though, that On3 kit is sort of shoddy....you can put it together for about half of what the guy charges....and he sells the Chinese turbos.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Shed some light?

Bone stock internal 302? Or is it bigger? Got a nice top end setup? It seems high for a stock bottom end 5 liter, the torque especially. What kinda Dyno was it on? I know you mentioned some parts, but w/o having even a cam swap, not so sure.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

Shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
    Sounds a little high, I'd be a little surprised that his turbo put down that much torque for sure...but I'm not the expert on Mustangs, there are a few on here that put down good numbers.

Fwiw though, that On3 kit is sort of shoddy....you can put it together for about half of what the guy charges....and he sells the Chinese turbos.
    The hot side looks decent, it's hard to beat the price especially for the 4.6 kits.

The numbers sound high but not crazy high. A stock 4.6, with their kit made
    500+ to the tire at 10psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RirrC...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Bone stock internal 302? Or is it bigger? Got a nice top end setup? It seems high for a stock bottom end 5 liter, the torque especially. What kinda Dyno was it on? I know you mentioned some parts, but w/o having even a cam swap, not so sure.
    bone stock long block. stock h/c/i. I believe it was a mustang dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    The hot side looks decent, it's hard to beat the price especially for the 4.6 kits.

The numbers sound high but not crazy high. A stock 4.6, with their kit made
    500+ to the tire at 10psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RirrC...e_gdata_player
    Completely different motor in that video. Thats a DOHC 4.6. not a pushrod 5.0....

Shed some light?

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
    bone stock long block. stock h/c/i. I believe it was a mustang dyno.
    Heh I'm kinda thinking not then. Dynos can read wrong if shit ain't setup right. That should make like 400-420 in my view of things at best on 11 psi

Shed some light?

Completely different motor in that video. Thats a DOHC 4.6. not a pushrod 5.0....
    Ugh..... no kidding captain obvious! I was demonstrating that it was possible.. not probable.

525/505 @13.5psi ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4eY...e_gdata_player

Shed some light?

Should make like 400-420 in my view of things at best on 11 psi
    Think again..

Ugh..... no kidding captain obvious! I was demonstrating that it was possible.. not probable.

525/505 @13.5psi ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg4eY...e_gdata_player
    Thats not bad for a built 5.0...

heres a reply they had to someone asking about a kit for the 94-95 GT's.. "Its in stock, $1499, made 391/460 8psi on a pretty much stock 94 gt - On3Performance in reply to muscle2imporrt"

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    that motor stock put out about 190 rwhp i call bullshit on 11 psi

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Shed some light?

Thats not bad for a built 5.0...

heres a reply they had to someone asking about a kit for the 94-95 GT's.. "Its in stock, $1499, made 391/460 8psi on a pretty much stock 94 gt - On3Performance in reply to muscle2imporrt"
    Did your buddy show you the dyno sheet?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    that motor stock put out about 190 rwhp i call bullshit on 11 psi
    the esteemed reverernd cooper gets it right.

Everything "stock" (ie heads, cam, intake) with a little allowance for a better exhaust, I wouldn't expect more than high 300's @ 11 psi....though there are those that disagree, it's true...you roughly double hp/tq for every 14.7psi, so were he truly "stock" even 15 psi wouldn't get the numbers he claims.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Senior Member..now yer posting! DNT H8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    I wouldn't expect more than high 300's @ 11 psi....though there are those that disagree
    Im actually going to agree.

Few things... First off the stock valvetrain wont support 496/567. He would have to spin high and valve float would accure, unless he hit 496 at 5800 which I dout on a stock top/bottom end. Also lets not forget thats a stock block lol Ive split a valley at 450 to the tire, but that was spray totaly different situation. Put back the 15% lose and thats a 570/652 at the crank...lol Im gonna call BS as well.... But bang for the buck thats a nice kit.

Shed some light?

Maybe some of the guys on this forum that have ACTUALLY ran a turbo/stock 5.0 long block can shed some light on this.

On3 claims that their kit, on a 5.0 SN95 will make over 400hp to the tire @ 7psi.

So add another 4psi, if the engine doesn't let loose, I think it's possible. The torque number that your friend is claiming seems kind of high to me for some reason, *shrug

http://www.on3performance.com/SN50.aspx
    Last edited by Irish; 09-08-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Shed some light?

I can't imagine something that makes. 225hp at the crank stock making well over 400hp at the wheels, 100% internally stock with something less than 10psi of boost. It probably is possible with alot of boost though.

Shed some light?

I can't imagine something that makes. 225hp at the crank stock making well over 400hp at the wheels, 100% internally stock with something less than 10psi of boost. It probably is possible with alot of boost though.
    Just because you can't imagine it, doesn't mean it is not possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdrks...e_gdata_player

http://forums.corral.net/forums/turb...ng-blocks.html

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On3 claims that their kit, on a 5.0 SN95 will make over 400hp to the tire @ 7psi.
    That's the thing...THAT claim seems implausible.

At a lowish 7psi, the *stock* unboosted car would need to produce ~ 265+hp to the rear wheels...meaning that stock sn95 is making 300ish hp to the flywheel.

If they're making 400whp, then it's producing more than 7 psi (and prob 15ish if one asked me, on a stock 5.0) . If it's producing 7psi, it's not making 400whp.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

You guys need to go back and spend some time on the 8 or so pages of bad feedback about On3 in a number of places. His rep is better on Mustang sites, but turboforums and ls1tech have had some issues.. He's mislabeled and misrepresented parts, kits and numbers on just about every forum he sells stuff on. Sure, for $1500 your not expecting a friggin Heffner turbo setup. The thing is, what he sells can be had cheaper if your really want the same stuff....or you can spend the same $$, and actually end up with a turbo that won't grenade itself or fall in half. He was selling the SAME line of turbo's that were "glued" together from the Chinese manufacturer. Although they don't ship those anymore, he DID sell them and he didn't do SHIT to take care of the customers that ever got screwed. He also won't return phone calls or pm's and complains to mods to have threads deleted if they are "hating" on him.

I'm sure not everything he's sold is junk, and there are plenty of people on the turboforums running ebay variant turbos and home built setups making great power.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Just for a point of reference... I made just over 400 to the wheels at 13psi through an auto. Engine had stock 1983 heads and stock flat tappet cam with an EFI explorer intake.

I agree with the OP that the '94's numbers sound high.

As far as the On3 kits go, I have seen two at oscars. One Sn95 and One Fox. Both owners said that the kit's were trouble free for the most part.
    Last edited by DurtyKurty; 09-10-2012 at 07:30 AM.