Lightbulb 2009 avalanche tune?

so i sold my diesel and bought a '09 avlanche... my question is, would it be worth it to have it tuned? its bone stock and will prolly remain that way. im looking for better fuel economy and posibly better performance. How about a aftermarket intake and tune? im not up to par on my late model chevys so any other ideas would be helpful!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Does it have the A6 (6 speed auto) or is it a 4 speed yet? 09' was the year thse things start to migrate to a 6 speed but not all got them.

Either way, driveabilty can be improved above all else. Fuel mileage... well thats alot to do with the driver and the driving conditions... These things have that AFM (4 Cylinder mode) and is more of a marketing gimic than anything else as it really only works when coasting or going down hill. Ive played with the settings for the AFm on my old monte ss to get it to stay in longer but the thing was so underpowered that it was counter productive.

Relaxing things like TM and improving the transmissions shift quality and schedule makes the thing alot easier to drive... Timing well you cant feed too much into it at WOT on 87 octane and really u are just picking the AFR up out of the high 11's. Factory timing advance usually comes in pretty healthy portions on anything 07' plus ive found. Cant really feed more into it for cruising speed or launch as then it will audibly knock - they are pretty good from the factory timing wise on 87!

The intake and a proper re-calibration of the MAF table after may yield some slight MPG increase. But to say there is a worthwhile amount of fuel economy improvement left in the stock tune would be bullshit, not for the amount of money spent to attempt it. Unless the calibration is fubar due to a bunch of aftermarket parts its not going to be a real improvement.

If you feel you want to do something with it for a general improvment, hit me up on the pricing.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 08-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

thanks for the detailed explaination! and yes its a 6speed auto. wasnt sure if these were like earlier obd2 cars where you could really clean up the tune and make a decent difference. im on the fence right now about having it tuned.... i hate the way it shifts and where it shifts. seems like the 2-3 shift is way too soon! I might look into getting a intake and at that time i would prolly go for a tune. i really dont want exhaust on it, i travel down the freeway alot and hate annoying rumbly drowny exhaust! another thing im contiplating, which i shouldnt be lol, ive got a vortech sitting here just screaming avalanche!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

I have gotten every truck I have had in last couple years tuned, 03 Silverado ss, 07 gmc crew, 98 silverado. It has made a difference in each. Better mpg (if you dont floor it alot) power seemed noticeable, shift points and firmness improved, which is better for the transmission anyway. I'd say do it. The SS was tuned in person, the rest were mail order but still helped alot IMO

Do any mods you plan to first/or same time like the air intake ect.

edit the 07 had the 4cyl mode BadLS1 mentioned, it was pretty useless for me too.
    Last edited by WI_Dave; 08-17-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE