Condo association doesn't like my Satellite Dish... 5 years after it is installed!

So get this. I've been in my condo over 5 years now. When I bought the place the Association and Board was nothing more than the developer and the Property management company. I want DirecTV, so I work with the Construction company who's there, the developer, and the management company. They come out and show the DirecTV guy where it is to be installed. Everything is fine.

Flash forward to yesterday I get a letter from the new management company who took over the place a couple years ago. The letter states that they're a new policy that all satellite installations need to be approved in writing by the board of directors, and if I have one currently installed I have 2 options.

1.) pay the association's contractors to take it down and "repair the roof" (the thing is screwed to the roof using 4 screws.)
    2.) pay the association a $300 deposit for future roof repairs when the dish is removed.

What the fuck?

So I called them and told them that the previous management company approved it, they bought everything that went with this place. Including the Clubhouse and Pool that they were supposed to be building but lied to us about... that's another story that I need a good lawyer for... any property / real estate lawyers around?

advice on the satellite situation?

In the fcc rules.
    Last edited by noeggs4u; 08-11-2012 at 07:27 AM.

where can I find something in writing to show them, this management company is terrible. Camco MGMT btw. there's some terrible stories about them in some online reviews.

I believe it should be grandfather in. I will try to remember some lawyers names that deal with condo law.

You need to find state condo laws on line. Use to live in one at one time. Was the association from hell.

thanks lmk if you can think of a good one. I heard there is president for what they did about selling us this place with a condo clubhouse / pool and then never following through on it. I have stuff in writing on it too so I think I stand a good case there. I had someone review it in Illinois (friend of a family) but he's not licensed in Wisconsin

sounds like it would have been in the best interest of them to shut the hell up about your satelite dish. LOL (I'm of no help, sorry)
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Sounds like some bullshit. Get a lawer and take them for everything you can. Two can play their game.

Last edited by noeggs4u; 08-11-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: add

http://www.deutch.com/ Theses guys are good at condo law.Helped out some people i know.

Sent some other things to your in box.Hope this helps.

LoL @ Camco... I heard nothing but bad about those guys back in the day. I see they haven't changed.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    While I agree that it is such a shitty position to be in, and they definitely are on the wrong side of the situation in my opinion.... Do you really feel like spending $300/hour to save yourself $300 ? Honestly don't know what a condo style attorney costs, but I know what our family's corporate contract attorney charges per hour.

I hope you are able to fix this situation without having to go that route, and without having to give up any money. I agree something like that should be grandfathered in. Just make sure to choose your battle. Definitely not saying just roll over and take it, just be prepared for costs

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    It's called the OTARD rule.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

If you would have ignored the letter they probably wouldn't have done anything (because I'm relatively certain they aren't sure whose dish belongs to who).

If the antenna is on *your* roof they can't do anything about it. If it is on a common roof they can make something happen, but not for an unreasonable cost ($300 would be considered unreasonable).
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Post whore
    Chris, working at CC back in the day I remember when Direct TV came out the law stated that any dish 18" and under no one could say anything about it. By law. Who ever sent you that letter tell them to go eat a fat one.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    ^ End of story right there.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.