BCM Cruiser

AR-10 or M1a thoughts

I got rid of my Armalite AR-15 years ago with the intention of getting an AR-10. Well, I figure now is a better time than any so I'm looking at them again. This time though I've also started to look at M1a's. I've been reading around and it does really seem split (.308 AR v M1a). Any thoughts?

I was leaning M1a but started back towards the AR (maybe a Bushmaster .308?). It would only be for going to the range once in a while but I'd still like something reliable, accurate, etc (easy to clean?).

I also said what the heck, maybe an AR-15 sooner than later too. Any thoughts on a Colt 6920? Seems like a good gun with a random "your paying for the name". I'd like to buy a complete one now and maybe try building one in the future.

I gotta try buying online. Seems that all the local gun shops are pretty high lately (at least on handguns). I like the Dam Road Gun Shop so I may have to stop out there.
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    m1a... in a heart beat.

BCM Cruiser
    Also, on the M1a, is there any issue with the Scout (18") over the standard (22")?
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I second the M1A. No real issue 18" vs 22" except some lost bullet velocity. But at the distances you'll be shooting you'll likely never notice it.

If you're willing to drive a little I know a guy!!! VVVVV

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

I have an AR-10 (Armalite) that I bought off a member here for a good deal. If I was going to buy one myself it wouldn't have been an Armalite only because of the mag issue (they only accept Armalite mags). I have an ACOG on it and I love it.

Any thoughts of the FNFAL? She's a heavy beast, but also a great platform. I have one, a DSA STG-58 with all Austrian parts, great rifle as well, and the adjustable gas port makes finding your empties very easy!

+1 for the M1A
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

I have a socom 16 version of the m1a with a leupold scout scope. Its super sexy in an old school kind of way, but also super sexy in a modern tactical kind of way, not to mention super sexy in a big dick 308 caliber kind of way. The scout scope mounted forward is pretty nifty allowing for open field of vision and is plenty good for hitting a target 100 to 300 yards out reliably.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

My personal opinion is that there are so many AR-15 variants and calibers out there that its REALLY hard to justify and AR-10. You can bascially pick what you want to chamber your AR-15 in based on your application of choice, so if theres a particular cartridge you prefer, go that route. If not.. M1a.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    My old man had a POF Ar-10...Was my favorite Assault rifle to shoot thus far. Bummer he traded it. POF makes a quality piece!

I would like the gun he had in FA mode :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka5NKnBN1js
    Last edited by BigSnailBuick; 08-02-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

If you want something easy to clean, the AR platform is not for you. I dont shoot mine as often as I'd like because cleaning it is pretty time consuming. Lots of parts to disassemble. Of course you already know that having owned an AR in the past.

I am not personally familiar with the M1a, but as far as reliability, I would think having fewer moving parts than the AR would put tip greater reliability on the side of the M1a. Thats just my personal thoughts, not based on personal experience.

If you have the money to do it, I would get the M1a, and a stripped AR lower for later.

I have a M1A Socom II and an Armalite AR-10. They are both awesome to shoot. Never had a problem with either one. They are both really accurate. So I'm sure I didn't help, but I would just go with your gut feeling. Two awesome guns you really can't choose wrong. I wasn't sure either so I got one of each lol.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

HK91/G3, oh wait that wasn't a choice
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

AR10 chamberd in 6.5 creedmore, accuracy and options that will never be rivaled by any gun much less the classic M1A.
    Swap a 243 upper and you dont need a second AR15, laser flat and reasonably cheap to fire, squirels or deer same gun.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

I'm lovin the 6.8SPC AR15. Great platform lots of caliber options.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    AR10 chamberd in 6.5 creedmore, accuracy and options that will never be rivaled by any gun much less the classic M1A.
    Swap a 243 upper and you dont need a second AR15, laser flat and reasonably cheap to fire, squirels or deer same gun.
    I would argue that for the same investment you can get just as much out of a 6.5 grendel out of an AR-15. That said, arguments could be made against me..
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

I love the Grendel and SPC but they are not even in the same league, comparing kittens to lions
    Think of a 6.5 Creedmore as a turbocharged 260 or a 308 that is faster and bucks wind better.

I think the Grendel and SPC are great ar15 rounds, for blowing thru car doors or deer at outer edges of humane shots 308 parent cartridge is a must.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

BCM Cruiser
    Thanks guys. I did end up getting an M1a standard with black synthetic stock. I think it'll fit my purpose just fine. I also picked up the Colt LE6920MP-B for the AR fix. I want to end up building an AR but that will be in due time.
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrab View Post
    Thanks guys. I did end up getting an M1a standard with black synthetic stock. I think it'll fit my purpose just fine. I also picked up the Colt LE6920MP-B for the AR fix. I want to end up building an AR but that will be in due time.
    Show me yours and Ill show you mine LOL..I Went with a Springfield Socom II. Let's see some Pics!
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSnailBuick View Post
    Show me yours and Ill show you mine LOL..I Went with a Springfield Socom II. Let's see some Pics!

Last edited by davidrab; 08-20-2012 at 12:38 PM.
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That's exactly what my M1A looked like when I got it. I added a GI walnut stock, bedding, NM flash supressor with bayo lug, unitized gas system, hooded NM rear sight (yours most likely already has a NM front sight), a little trigger work plus handloads makes that thing one of my favorite rifles to shoot. Very accurate too, around 1 minute is fairly common.

As said already, you realy can't go wrong with either choice.