The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Computer "scrap"

So I have 2 laptops with lots of good parts, but one has (i think) a failed motherboard and the other was either a board or a hdd failure. I also have some old boards and hdd's for desktops.. Is there any "Scrap" value on computers? Both are 2-3years old, ones a 17" toshiba, the other an MSI netbook.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

How much for the one with HD failure? :p
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

There is a value, but it's hard to measure. Best way to measure it is to do exactly what you're doing... engage potential buyers and see what they'll give you or if they'll take what you're asking. Selling it on ebay (via auction) can be another option. People are often looking for LCDs from dead devices to salvage and put into ones with cracked/broken displays. If you part it out, often the value of the individual components doesn't justify the added work of parting it out. Say hypothetically you could get $125 for one of the computers selling it parted out, but only $75 selling it whole. Much of the $50 differential is likely to be eaten up in shipping/packing costs and hassle. Again, in finding the value... eBay can be very helpful. Search completed listings and see if you can find some dead systems that are the same model or comparable. Then if wikked doesn't buy it, throw an ad up on Craigslist for a touch under the eBay selling price and you should be able to unload them without a lot of dickering and still get rough "salvage" market value for them. If that doesn't work, throw it up on eBay at auction starting out at $.99 and see what happens.

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Thanks guys.
    Wikked, I don't remember which is which, one might have both failed.
    I guess I'd be looking for like $45 for the 17" toshiba and $35 for the netbook.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e