R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar

Question Replacing AC components on a 2003 Accord. Anything to look out for.

My unit safety/enviro officer asked me to work on his wife's accord. He already bought a new compressor, condenser, filter/drier, and expansion valve. I can do the job at the autocraft here where they can evac the system/pressure test and refill. I've never worked on a honda before. Is there anything to look out for in replacing any of these? From what I've read I'll have to remove the front clip to get to the condenser.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Post whore
    Question, why are all of those parts being replaced? Seems like a little overboard. It's usually replace the failed part and clean the expansion valve then put a 10-15 min vacuum before a recharge. I will say if the car has high miles or the system was left open for a while then its a good idea to replace the drier as well.

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Nan, nothing to worry about, just a little tight. The front clip comes off easy after you remove the plastic fasteners and there should be a screw in the wheel well right at the corner of the bumper cover.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    Question, why are all of those parts being replaced? Seems like a little overboard. It's usually replace the failed part and clean the expansion valve then put a 10-15 min vacuum before a recharge. I will say if the car has high miles or the system was left open for a while then its a good idea to replace the drier as well.
    I have no idea. He took it to the dealer and was quoted $1500 for everything. The problem was compressor would kick on run for about 4 seconds then shut off and start blowing hot air. On their sheet I guess it says "all components recommended to be replaced" Parts have already been ordered so it is what it is. Would be shitty if it turned out to be something small that's causing the compressor to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay View Post
    Nan, nothing to worry about, just a little tight. The front clip comes off easy after you remove the plastic fasteners and there should be a screw in the wheel well right at the corner of the bumper cover.
    Thanks homes. I didn't think it would be to bad. I just did a similar job on my VW.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Post whore
    What the car does and what the dealer recommend doesn't make sense. I would check the power going to the clutch when the cars runnin and the AC on. If the power at the compressor stops after 4 seconds then you have another problem. If the power remains then the clutch might be bad.

^ When do dealers usually make sense? It's something I will definitely take a look into once I see the car. I saw the receipt today and it literally said "replacement of all AC components recommended."

Had about 5 mins to look at it today. The AC works for about 3 mins then the compressor shuts off and blows hot air. Wondering if the system is building up to much pressure and automatically shutting the compressor off.

It actually works just the opposite. The low side pressure has to be high enough to start. Then once it's running the low pressure side drops and if it drops to far, it switches off. It's very easy to watch this on a manifold set.

To be completely honest, your problem sounds like it's simply low on refrigerant.

Post whore
    If the AC system was below a 1lb it wouldn't even kick on the compressor. I would check power to the compressor as well as having it on a manifold gauge to see what the pressures are. Most AC systems will work with about a 1 lb of freon. It won't be super cold but it will kick the compressor on. With the car running and AC on max you should have the HP side below 300 and the LP side around 30-40. GL.

Turns out the filter drier pissed all the desiccant pellets into the condenser. I'm pretty sure there's wasn't much refrigerant if any moving through the system anymore. It ran a total of $80 bucks for the time at the shop, tools, evac, and recharge. Made $200 so I can't complain and the AC works great.

Post whore
    So that's why they said replace everything.

Senior Member..now yer posting! Z06 KID's Avatar
    honda has junk a/c compressors. not saying thats the problem but from personal experience if the compressor goes bad, you gotta buy a compressor kit which is everything in order to get a warranty. just sucks cuz everything is so tight on them cars.
    2009 toyota corolla XRS (trade in)
    2012 SWP STI W/nav
    1972 chevrolet nova (dad's, but i found it)

Wasn't to bad I guess his AC works great now.