Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    After having to mow every 3 days now, how can we return our lawn to the low maintenance burned look? lol

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    My yard is still fucked since I pulled out the bushes but I went back to work and I've been working 4 10's in Madison so I get up at 330 every morning and don't get home till around 6. No energy to get my yard ready to put the fence in. I still need to get 3-4 yards of dirt back there to level out the yard. I'm thinking about possibly having a landscaper do it for me since I don't have much time anymore. I just don't want to pay a crazy amount just to level it out.
    1968 Camaro 383

I have the greenest weeds on my block. I have been watering and Milorganiting, it's nice and green but it's not good grass, alot of weeds. Never did overseed, don't know the best time to overseed now, do I wait until spring or do it now since weeds should be starting their dormancy soon?

Jbiscuit, I'd really like to see pics of your lawn. I'm down here in Missouri and its still dry as fuck right now. Everything is dead, but being that I just bought my first house, once it starts raining again (if ever) I'd really like to spend some time on my lawn. I know nothing about it but this thread really helps.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Here is my backyard from about 5 minutes ago. Applied 6 bags of Milorgonite about 2 weeks ago. Its thick as hell! Remember this lawn isn't even a year old yet. There are a couple random weeds that are hanging on after the drought of May-late July but not a big deal. My neighbors have some crabgrass and clover shit. I have neither of that. I cut the lawn last night and from the looks of it today it will need to be cut again in a few days. Jackson is having a great time running around on it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Nice. My neighbor has creeping charlie and its taking over my garden. It's pissing me off. I'm going to redo the garden anyway though and make it smaller but the guy is a VP of a landscaping company FFS, you would think he would like a nice yard.

Oh and tomorrow my dad and I are going to go get fill and level out the yard. I'll post pics of the progress.
    1968 Camaro 383

Looks nice. I was at Lowes yesterday and they have milorganite so as soon as this draught is over I'll pick some up. My priority right now is getting rid of the poison ivy that's surrounding my entire property. I spent all morning with a sprayer, trying to get as much of it as I could, but its so think I might have to do this in phases. my property is surrounded by a shitload of it. Last thing I need is my dogs running around in that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    doing nothing have lawn care maintenance technicians

Yes how are the illegals doing? Your lawn always seems in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post

Nice lawn, ours is next year project after we replace out driveway, regrade, level out or side yard, rip out all the railroad ties.

Here are a couple pics from yesterday.

Took two 1 yard hauls from Sievert in Oak Creek to my house in milwaukee. It was riding on the bump stops the whole way, rofl.

Backed her right up into the yard. This is why I just didnt get a dump truck to drop it off. It was easier this way.

Two yards and a bunch more to go to get it somewhat flat.

They were only open till noon yesterday so I couldn't get more loads. I'll continue working on it on Friday.

Here is a couple before pictures for reference.

1968 Camaro 383

Our grass is starting to come back to life. Patchy in areas where weeds definitely took over. The backyard hasn't been touched, but hoping to get it back to looking like this again. This was from last year around this time. No chemicals have been put on it. I like to keep it cut, but it still takes a long time. All I have done this year is a path around the perimeter for walking the dogs and a path for the neighbors to come over in their golf carts and gators.

--Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Was almost done cutting the back when I got the second dose of rain. But look at the pretty rainbow(s)!

--Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    I have the greenest weeds on my block. I have been watering and Milorganiting, it's nice and green but it's not good grass, alot of weeds. Never did overseed, don't know the best time to overseed now, do I wait until spring or do it now since weeds should be starting their dormancy soon?
    I would aerate and overseed late Sept, early October..
    2007 Lexus LS460
    2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    2011 Toyota Camry SE V6

Re: The BCM Lawn Thread

I have a lot of thatch, should I dethatch first? If I wait until late September to seed that means I could fertilize now as well?

Yes I would remove thatch 1st.
    2007 Lexus LS460
    2013 Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior
    2011 Toyota Camry SE V6

Good time to start overseeding! I put down 8 more bags of Milorgonite this afternoon. Will start watering again here soon as my lawn has dried up quite a bit this past week

What do you guys use to cover your seeds with. Straw or the mat? I went to 4 stores looking for the matting and none of them had it. But don't worry! They all had plenty of halloween and christmas stuff out!

If you get straw, where is a good place to get it around the southeast milwaukee area?

I bought a couple bags of Milorganite and some seed. I'm going to get the new seed in the spots that I leveled and then I'm going to overseed right away.
    1968 Camaro 383

Any farm down this way Mark should be able to help. Straw will work just fine if you can't find the mat

Ok, I am trying to help my parents get their front lawn into shape. Have a couple issues at play, and I am not sure what is best.

1. WE Energies did a gas line project and ripped up half the lawn.First time they seeded and none of it grew at all. After making them come back and redo the lawn again its finally actually growing. Well half of it anyway. One half grows super fast and thick and the other half is spotty and half dead.

2. The yard has a ton of trees for its size. Including a super thirsty Birch Tree and an City Tree (Elm,I believe) with a ton of big roots. The part that is growing well is mostly shady. The part that is spotty is in alot more sunlight consistantly

We just had the lawn aerated last week, They have had Weedman coming out all year long. But I can't get the existing lawn and bad areas of the new lawn to grow anywhere close to the same rate as the new lawn in the shady areas. Since my parents prepaid for the years worth of service from Weedman, what can I do to get this lawn growing again without going overboard with Weedmans treatments. I believe they are still going to do a fall fertlizer application yet. They just did the fall weedkiller application last week and say we need to wait two more weeks before doing anything to the lawn. I have also been watering the hell out the lawn as much as I get an opportunity too. It isn't really helping much

Any suggestions? Where should I start?
    Last edited by 03CVLX; 09-17-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

You have a challenge on your hands because seed WILL NOT grow when sprayed with chemical treatments. Weedman doesn't care that you are trying to grow grass, they just want to get paid for putting chemical down. Weed prevention applications are especially harsh on the new seed. How is the soil condition now that you have been watering without much growth? If there is grass growing it should be fine. I would suggest you lightly rake the area to loosen the soil, throw down some NEW seed and toss a light covering of straw over the top of it to help with moisture retention. Regardless, it still might not grow if Weedman comes back in a few weeks to treat the lawn again. If you started like TODAY you might be able to get some new seed to germinate before they come back. Mid-Sept is PRIME TIME to grow grass! Good luck!