Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zx14r opinions?

Zx14r opinions?

Looking at a new zx14r. What do you guys think compared to the busas? All the magazines seem to rave about them since they came out. I am not in love with the styling of either but like them both. They both seem comfortable for the street. I would be probably taking it to the grove and hopefully grow into racing it and making it faster (ext swingarm, pc, etc) is this an ok choice all around? Any opinions?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Crawlin would be one to hit up on this

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    Brother had a 2010 was a bad ass bike. tons of fun to ride.

Senior Member..now yer posting! buttersgt350's Avatar
    my buddy had one and regrets getting rid of it.
    1984 MUSTANG GT350 #1801

Good to know! Looks like I will be picking one up on Monday.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Ok, there is a HUGE difference between a ZX14 and a ZX14r

ZX14 - 2006-2011

ZX14R - 2012 newest version.

It's taken Kawi what, 12-13 years to finally reach the front of the pack? And that's over a 4 year old design.

The bikes are big and powerful and comfortable. Resale on them sucks ass.

So you are looking at a brand new ZX14R right? For 15,000 and change? For $3000 less you can get an '12 Busa and have something that the aftermarket has fully supported and lots of parts for it.

Honestly, its all a personal preference. I'm a fan of the times they are running. However I am not a fan of the nutswinging that is happening with them and the commercials that make it seem like its this huge better option over the Busa, when again, the Busa is 4 years old design.

Tuning, sucks ass for the Kawi as well. Always gotta use the power commander. Busa's there is the ecu editor that allows you to make changes and the software is free, and the cable is 200. Kind of like HPTuners for a Busa. And can control air shifters, nitrous, etc... All without extra devices or kill boxes or progressive controllers, etc.. And the swing arms cost more for the kawi's as the bearings are different too.

Stock for stock, yeah the Kawi is gonna be faster, but its $3000 more.

And whatever you do, don't believe the mag hype of the Ricky Gadson times. While yeah he's running it, your normal guy is a full second off in most cases. Just like the BMW S1000rr's were. Schnitz came out and ran those 8.44's and no ones even close to that for similar mods ridden by a "normal" racer

Busa's on the street are very comfortable. My '04 and my '08 were great, even with the swing arm and the lowering. This 2002 I just picked up is great, but till be SWB racing (stock wheel base) until after I graduate.
    Last edited by Crawlin; 05-12-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Thank you for the useful information Chris! I was actually looking at a 11 zx14, so yeah not "R". The main reason I was looking at that is because I refuse to pay full price for a new model when you can get a leftover for much less. I would be open to a hayabusa for the same price, ($10,xxx range new). I realize the aftermarket is obviously going to be much greater for the busa. Find me an '11 leftover? Haha.

I have never raced a bike, and don't know if I will be good at it, but I want a bike that I can love on the street and give a try at the track. Think the zx is not what I should be looking for? If I buy one of these, will you be at the track with yours and mind if I tag along?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Damnit Chris now you have me looking at the 12 black busa...Nobody around here has any leftovers. Is it worth the extra $4g's?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    Damnit Chris now you have me looking at the 12 black busa...Nobody around here has any leftovers. Is it worth the extra $4g's?
    I checked every where for a leftover 2011. I then went to Cycle Trader.com and looked up every place within 400 miles and emailed them asking for their best price on a black leftover 2011. Of the 15 I sent out, only 4 responded and ALL of them were still higher than this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...item5649f7b46a

Just the 89 doc fee, but no freight or setup fees. That's $1500 cheaper than most wanted for their leftover 2011's and a closer distance.

This is a Ford vs. Chevy debate.

But, if you are looking at a 2011 ZX14, then its still the old style and still FAR behind the Busa's in performance and opportunities to go fast with. I will say it is slightly more comfortable for longer rides, however, not enough to justify the loss in performance.

I don't know what a leftover 2011 ZX14 is going for, but it'd have to be $10,000-10,500 for me to even consider it.

I will say the clutch set up is better on the kawi's for a beginner to get used to (in my opinion and some others) but that shouldn't sway your opinion. They all still require clutch plate setup at $150 for racing and a clutch mod to get rid of the slipper action.

The reason I am seriously considering it is because the price is $10,300. When I say I want to race it, I don't mean I want to race competitively, I just wanna legally take it to the track and test my limits, and try to better myself. I wonder if I could get a new busa around here for the price of the one in your link?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

that one in my link is up in Kaukauna, WI. So about an hour and a half away. Not a bad trip at all.

At 10,300, thats a hard price to beat for a leftover 2011 zx14.

I'm not racing mine competitively. Its just for fun too. But I like simplicity. And simplicity to me is buying wiring harnesses that plug and play for anything I want (air shifter - $50, nitrous - $50, tuning - $200). That means I don't need a $400 power commander. I don't need a $200 kill box for the air shifter nor do I have to splice the wiring into the fuel injection harness, etc... Thats' the big reason I stuck to being another busa even over a gsxr1000. Just the simplicity of those options.

That and used parts are dirt cheap too, haha.

I am really contemplating just hitting the buy it now button on that one. If I do, can I get financing squared away there, or how would I go about it? (I ask you because I know you know the ins and outs of that dealer stuff)

And I don't know if you saw it in the other post, but would you mind if I tagged along to the track sometime to watch ya and maybe get some pointers? I have ridden motorcycles for 6 years or so but am not really good with the launch.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

no, not at all. its always fun. and watching will get you all hyped up for it.

i would just call them and say that since you are local what would they do for you for the bike. If they honor that price, then submit the credit app through them and go from there. Suzuki may still have the 0% for 60 months thing going on too. I'm not 100% sure. But they can get you all squared away, or you could just go through landmark and have that dealer fax them the purchase contract down to them, landmark will print you up a check for the amount financed and you can go pick up the bike.

i wouldn't hit the buy it now, I'd let them run that auction out but call and explain the situation like I said above. Save the hassle of the ebay auction crap

Sounds good. I am going to be calling them tomorrow. You talked me into the busa. I wasn't partial to the kawi, but like I said, it was cheaper and I couldn't find anything similar in the busa. Most of what I like in the busa is that like you said, it is proven out, and used parts are probably everywhere. The tuning can't hurt either.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    And whatever you do, don't believe the mag hype of the Ricky Gadson times. While yeah he's running it, your normal guy is a full second off in most cases. Just like the BMW S1000rr's were. Schnitz came out and ran those 8.44's and no ones even close to that for similar mods ridden by a "normal" racer.
    That name sounds familiar.

[looks around room, notices magazine on desk]

The cover of Cafe Racer Magazine states "Drag King: Rickey Gadson's Ten Second CB750." The article says he only hit 12.356.

Meh. Whatever. Sorry for hijacking the thread for a few lines.

edit: How tall/heavy is Rickey?
    Last edited by Al; 05-13-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

Is Ricky gadson the guy with no feet?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the help Chris. I am going up to Kaukauna after work today and picking up that black one. They gave me the ebay price, and I got 0% financing so after that there was really NO reason to buy the zx. Not to mention insurance is going to be $34 a month full coverage instead of $80 for the zx (why the huge difference I am not sure.) Can't wait to see what a busa is like, and I will be posting pictures soon.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

i'm useful for something, hahaha.

you'll like it alot. they are both great riding bikes, I just have a preference. I'm glad they got you that same price, hopefully everything works out for you on that.

Insurance is always fun on these bikes. They are always REAL cheap, haha. For some reason the busa gets put into the sport tourer ranks where the zx14 ninja gets lumped in with all the other ninjas and that boosts the insurance costs. Who knows why, sometimes you don't want to ask, haha.

Chris

Well 120 miles on it now and I really love it. The dealer was fast and there were no hidden fees. Not a single complaint here! I wish I had done this years ago.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

yeah, just take it easy, enjoy it. get all that grease off the tires and have some fun. after the break in you can get the ecu editor and raise the rev limiter and if you get anything else on it you can get it tuned. just sucks locally no one can tune it. have to go to chitown area.

and awesome to hear that everything was straight forward and easy