Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    The Yellow Tie Fighter
    My suggestion is get the linkage figured out and just enjoy it for a while. Still makes enough power to have fun in a cool car. So at least cruise that bish around for a while then maybe as a winter project or something....

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    and LSx's are kind of played out in the older camaro....

Mark, you've got a very good starting point too...no need to get new headers, radiator, ignition, etc, etc, etc...

Stick with the 383. Upgrade the cam a couple steps, build it so the compression is there, and you'll be fine....
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    My suggestion is get the linkage figured out and just enjoy it for a while. Still makes enough power to have fun in a cool car. So at least cruise that bish around for a while then maybe as a winter project or something....

Yeah that's what I said I was going to do. I'm not rebuilding it until it gets cold out. I was just throwing around fun ideas for the hell of it. I'm just going to throw in a couple parts while I have it apart. Maybe a bigger cam and a couple other little things. I'm going to try to get my exhaust redone also this winter. And yes Chris, I do need a new radiator. I'm still running the original. I want to get an aluminum dual fan setup.

I'm pretty positive it has more in it that what the dyno said because of the blow by.

I'm going to drive it around this summer but it just sucks driving around rolling coal where ever I go.
    1968 Camaro 383

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Or do something real fun with it if you are rebuilding the motor anyways and do a blow thru carb and vortech blower or something
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Or go high compression and e85!

The cause for the crankcase pressurization should be obvious to find. If the dipstick pushes, it leaks from seals constantly something is majorly wrong... If the breathers are working correctly then there is something wrong that needs to be adressed, this could be directly linked to the lack of power it displayed. Just thinking out loud about it... Is the smoke plain ole black or is it blue? Or a combo of the two? Some black smoke at WOT is often the case if you set something up richer than 13.0 afr. but if its excessive, something is not right in the carb tuning setup or something else changed. I read that it smokes out of one pipe more than the other? On a true dual that in my mind would indicate a fuel distribution problem for one bank and is that caused by the intake manifold design or something?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

The smoke is black. The intake is an Edelbrock Air Gap btw. Tony said when I'm driving normally it smokes out of the passenger side constantly, but when I get on it a little bit or even just accelerate, it comes out of both pipes and it excessive.

My guess was that the rings are shot?
    1968 Camaro 383

Ring issues like too much end gap, incorrect size for the bore etcc or piston issues broken lands, piston to wall clearance too great etc. These are the major causes for crankcase pressure on an NA engine IF the breather system is adequate and functioning. You typically wont see blue smoke unless the cyl walls retain too much oil and it gets consumed and smokes accordingly (cross hatch or lack there of). Typical blue smoke issues i find are related to valve guide seals more so. The single side smoke is puzzling to me though? When on it, excessive then there is something wrong with fuel delivery quantity from the get go or the DC losses are so great it wont burn all the given fuel.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 06-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.

lets just say when I get on it, I can see a cloud of black smoke in my mirrors.
    1968 Camaro 383

If you want to know where the engine stands, my suggestion is do a leakdown test on each cylinder. While not a flawless test, it can at lest pinpoint any compression component flaws. If you would like, i can work on having you bring the car back out to verify the AFR at WOT currently with the wideband on the dyno while you are there.

My wife's dad offered to help me with the compression test, so I'm going to take it to his house when we both have time and start from there. I'll keep you updated. I really do appreciate all the help.

I originally thought all the smoke was from it being way rich which is why I brought it in for a dyno tune in the first place. I kind of figured since it was smoking so bad they would have noticed that and said something to me like there were more problems than what I originally thought. Maybe they didn't see the smoke? I don't know.

Quite honestly, I think I wasted $400 since I most likely have to rebuild the motor and didn't know it because I thought I was just running rich.
    1968 Camaro 383

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    If you want to know where the engine stands, my suggestion is do a leakdown test on each cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    My wife's dad offered to help me with the compression test,
    I think both these test will help reveal helpful info...

The leakdown tester will probably best reveal what your problem is here...but the compression tester will give you an idea though of how much compression you're really generating, ie, I would expect probably around 160-170 psi with your combo on the good cylinders with that cam if you're up around 10:1 compression.

I'm trying to remember...when you gapped the rings, did we spec'd for allowing you to run nitrous? I recall that we did...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Well a black smoke cloud at WOT is often perseived as running too rich. The amount of smoke generated is also subjective because what is considered "excessive" by some may not be the same to others. I see cars all the time that for example report 12.6 AFR on the wideband yet fill up the back of the dyno room with black smoke. You cant tune an engine soley off the amount of smoke it produces is what im trying to convey.

Black smoke isnt a symptom of an engine in need of a rebuild either, blue smoke is the typical one. The pressurized crankcase indicates its time to adress something internal, after all the easy/likely things have been tried external to the engine. I strongly suggest a leak down test over a compression test. Compression give you a 30,000 foot view of the compression components health, the leak down gets your clarity of the components integrity down to about 5,000 ft., for lack of better words.

I believe we did too Chris. We installed forged internals for that reason so I believe we did that also.

I actually didn't mean to type compression test.
    1968 Camaro 383

Guess my numbers!

Updates?

No news yet. I just got back to work last month and didn't have a ton of money to do anything with. I plan on tearing it down this winter when I hopefully will have some more time and money.
    1968 Camaro 383

Guess my numbers!

No news yet. I just got back to work last month and didn't have a ton of money to do anything with. I plan on tearing it down this winter when I hopefully will have some more time and money.
    What's your plan of attack?

Most likely going to rip it apart and just do a rebuild. Replace parts as needed lol. Unless I'm working for a decent amount of time this time and I can swing some upgrades. Not too sure what I would do to it though.
    1968 Camaro 383

Guess my numbers!

Most likely going to rip it apart and just do a rebuild. Replace parts as needed lol. Unless I'm working for a decent amount of time this time and I can swing some upgrades. Not too sure what I would do to it though.
    Higher compression? Spray?

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    fuck your motor come swap my trans lol then we can tear apart ur motor lol