Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think it goes on today.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    It went on today. Apparently my piece of shit valve cover is still leaking and oil is hitting the header like it was so he only took it up to 5800. He left a message on my phone but they were closed before I could call back.

It's all tuned and ready to go. I'm friggen pissed that leak came back and I couldn't get a full dyno pull.

Going to call back tomorrow and see what's up...
    1968 Camaro 383

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    What did it do at 5800?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

I don't know. He didn't say on the voicemail.
    1968 Camaro 383

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If power numbers were still climbing at 5800rpm, then this likely bodes well for being on the higher sides of the guestimates.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

it should do better than 5800! I spin my big slug 409 higher than that!

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    it should do better than 5800! I spin my big slug 409 higher than that!
    ^^^^^ racecar.....
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

PPPPPPPPPFFFFT! Its got a car seat in the back and bald tires!

Had to stop it at around 5800 due to the oil leaks coming back. Ordering new valve covers today.

1968 Camaro 383

Looks like it will end up about 315-320 by spinning it up over 6k judging by the ramp up at the end.

Ouch. That sucks Mark. I know you were hoping for a lot more than that

AFRs are pretty rock solid.. no way theres anything left on the table in timing? Tq falling like that makes me think theres some advance to be had.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Something seems off...

What did it trap in the 1/4?

Are u positive on the compression? The cam is a bit on the small side like I mentioned on Facebook. The motor has all the right parts to make power but it seems way low. How was the cam installed? Straight up? I think there is 60hp missing somewhere??

Torque drop is engine dynamics more then timing. It looks like the car is an auto? Judging by the Sig pix with cooler right behind grille... I can tell you autos with looser converters do not make dick for power! 0transam0's car with a 3800 stall only made 390 and 354 thru an unlocked converter. Thy same combo makes 430 all day long on a 6 speed.

Or am I all wrong and that's a engine oil cooler?

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    You're about 70hp short. Something is amiss. I made 372rwhp with a Summit el-cheapo 383 as I called it. Eagle cast crank, Summit's version of a 272H cam, ARP studs on crank and rods, 20 hours on a die grinder with carbide burrs on some mediocre 70s truck heads, cheap Speed-pro hypereutectic pistons, and a Quadrajet through a TH475.

Are you getting enough advance?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Let's not forget that a Dyno is a tuning tool... I'm sure with one call one can find the amount of advance it has currently to decide if it can handle more... But I would highly doubt 50hp plus worth! Either the converter is really loose or it really is a way mild combo?

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Let's not forget that a Dyno is a tuning tool... I'm sure with one call one can find the amount of advance it has currently to decide if it can handle more... But I would highly doubt 50hp plus worth! Either the converter is really loose or it really is a way mild combo?
    Based on the available information, what would you guess his crank hp to be?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Either the converter is really loose or it really is a way mild combo?
    It's probably a little of both...but I do think it should be making 350 to the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    what would you guess his crank hp to be?
    I had always guesstimated that the crank HP should be b/w 420-430hp if built correctly.

The AFR's 195 that he purchased flow approaching 270-280cfm. The cam is a milder one (I'm not sure what he pulls for vacuum at idle, but I would not be surprised if it was around 13-15 inches in gear) specing around 232/240 @ .050 w/ a 112 LSA and "aggressive" ramps giving ~.500/.530 lift (being a lunati voodoo, it has similar ramps to the comp xe series). Performer RPM (can't recall if it's an "air gap" or not, same basic design though), eddy 750cfm, and a HEI ignition.

The combo was put together with it in mind that Mark would be running a mild torque converter through a 4 speed automatic and mild 3.42 gears. So the idea was that with a carb, the thing should still like cruising at 70mph while only pulling around 2000rpm for decent mileage, but still make decent enough power to put the thing in the 12's... (ol' rule of thumb is that your TC should not stall higher than the rpm's the car would turn at cruising speed, a real challenge using a 4 speed OD)

...since the mild TC was required, that was as large a cam I felt comfortable with while living with a TC stalling around 2000 rpm, and the eddy carb was specified not because you can make more power with it...but because for low throttle cruising the part-throttle characteristics using metering rods are far more tuneable and efficient than the power valves of the holley's.

The hope was to have a classic that could run 12's yet still return 20+mpg while still using something as cheap as a carb. If this thing does indeed produce 320hp (or more with through a different TC/trans), that still is likely sufficient to hit the time goal and with the old trans it's likely it could have hit it's mileage goal.

BUT, the combo is different now...the front pump broke on the 4 speed and mark has since made a switch to a 3 speed auto and iirc, 3000rpm stall TC (still using 3.42's though). Given that, the cam IS small for the amount of torque converter, and he could probably get away with an even a mechanical secondary carb...and certainly use more gear...

I would be curious to see what cranking cylinder pressure of the car is...certainly would think that it should be around 170psi...the head volume was on the higher side (72-74cc) but when we ran the supplied numbers, it cam out 10+:1....but it's not like we actually measured out the head volume and what not.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    It's probably a little of both...but I do think it should be making 350 to the wheels.

I had always guesstimated that the crank HP should be b/w 420-430hp if built correctly.

The AFR's 195 that he purchased flow approaching 270-280cfm. The cam is a milder one (I'm not sure what he pulls for vacuum at idle, but I would not be surprised if it was around 13-15 inches in gear) specing around 232/240 @ .050 w/ a 112 LSA and "aggressive" ramps giving ~.500/.530 lift (being a lunati voodoo, it has similar ramps to the comp xe series). Performer RPM (can't recall if it's an "air gap" or not, same basic design though), eddy 750cfm, and a HEI ignition.

The combo was put together with it in mind that Mark would be running a mild torque converter through a 4 speed automatic and mild 3.42 gears. So the idea was that with a carb, the thing should still like cruising at 70mph while only pulling around 2000rpm for decent mileage, but still make decent enough power to put the thing in the 12's... (ol' rule of thumb is that your TC should not stall higher than the rpm's the car would turn at cruising speed, a real challenge using a 4 speed OD)

...since the mild TC was required, that was as large a cam I felt comfortable with while living with a TC stalling around 2000 rpm, and the eddy carb was specified not because you can make more power with it...but because for low throttle cruising the part-throttle characteristics using metering rods are far more tuneable and efficient than the power valves of the holley's.

The hope was to have a classic that could run 12's yet still return 20+mpg while still using something as cheap as a carb. If this thing does indeed produce 320hp (or more with through a different TC/trans), that still is likely sufficient to hit the time goal and with the old trans it's likely it could have hit it's mileage goal.

BUT, the combo is different now...the front pump broke on the 4 speed and mark has since made a switch to a 3 speed auto and iirc, 3000rpm stall TC (still using 3.42's though). Given that, the cam IS small for the amount of torque converter, and he could probably get away with an even a mechanical secondary carb...and certainly use more gear...

I would be curious to see what cranking cylinder pressure of the car is...certainly would think that it should be around 170psi...the head volume was on the higher side (72-74cc) but when we ran the supplied numbers, it cam out 10+:1....but it's not like we actually measured out the head volume and what not.
    Oh great... A Mopar guy helped build a Chevy... No wonder! Lol

J/k