Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    I just can't help but wonder if there were a few errors made in calculations or something which is contributing to the low HP number on the dyno?? IE its nowhere near 10.8:1 and rather 9.8:1 or similar. If the compression is smallish, the cam is smallish, the loose torque converter etc might be exactly why the car isn't making the power like it should. Because I still think that even a mild 383 stroker with 10.8:1 compression and those heads etc should do WELL more than 315whp!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    I just can't help but wonder if there were a few errors made in calculations or something which is contributing to the low HP number on the dyno?? IE its nowhere near 10.8:1 and rather 9.8:1 or similar. If the compression is smallish, the cam is smallish, the loose torque converter etc might be exactly why the car isn't making the power like it should. Because I still think that even a mild 383 stroker with 10.8:1 compression and those heads etc should do WELL more than 315whp!
    I agree! I was thinking it would produce 1hp per cubic inch at the tire.

I agree it should be more too! But the afr is right, timing were not certain about where it's at right now, but I only think there is 10 more max left in the Timing.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    I agree it should be more too! But the afr is right, timing were not certain about where it's at right now, but I only think there is 10 more max left in the Timing.
    That'd put him at 380, at the crank right?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't know...I mean, say the engine is making 400hp crank and he's losing 20% to drivetrain losses (why people assume 15% irregardless of the type of trans and torque converter, rear-end, etc, I don't know)...that puts him right at 320hp...

As far as compression, peak power gains via compression is usually not that impressive...if say it IS indeed down a point of compression (9.8 vs 10.9...not sure if 10.9 was what we actually came up with, or if it was simply 10+ or whatnot), this usually translates to ~ 4% power difference per point of compression gained. Still, at this level, you'd expect perhaps another 12-16hp at peak with another point of compression.

Where low compression really shows itself is area under the curve...while peak rpm power might not be affected tremendously, lower/midrange power might be 10% or more in terms of power/torque difference in those ranges.

edit: kinda cool we're talking bench/racing cars
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 05-12-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Is there a 12 bolt in it too? Those are good at sucking up another 15 over a 10 boly on a 4th gen anyway...

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    I agree! I was thinking it would produce 1hp per cubic inch at the tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    That'd put him at 380, at the crank right?
    OPTIMISTICALLY we were looking at 420-430hp at the crank...which should put him on the low side assuming 20% loss 336hp and high side assuming 15% loss 365hp...which is why I guessed 350hp initially.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Blog Entries
    Is there a 12 bolt in it too? Those are good at sucking up another 15 over a 10 boly on a 4th gen anyway...
    I believe camaro's of this era did use 12 bolts, but I'm not sure what mark had originally...I'm pretty sure his was a lo-po 327 car originally with a 2 speed powerglide...so likely had a different rear-end than it does now.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    His is probably still the 10 bolt

granted the difference between 9.8:1 and 10.8:1 won't make an insane amount more power it will affect how the parts "gel" together. IE if the cam is too big for how "mild" the motor is etc. Take my 409 for instance. It has the cheapest ($200), most overlooked heads on it, it utilizes the stock stroke yet (3.5") and uses a solid cam rather than a more radical solid roller. The naysayers had a field day guessing my HP numbers prior to it making a pull. In the end, it has the RIGHT parts for the combination. There just might be a few fundamental issues with why the motor isn't making HP. Like bolting on a set of CNC ported Mondello racing heads onto a 9:1 compression 305 cu in SBC. Will the motor all the sudden make a huge amount more HP if all else is left untouched? No probably not.

My thinking here is Mark has really good heads. The short block just might be a bit mild to make use of them perhaps. What we are discussing here isn't one major culprit to the low numbers but rather the compression might not really be 10.8:1 which costs him some HP. The cam is a bit small yet the heads flow quite well which might cost a few HP. High stall costs some more HP and so on. Granted Mark has aluminum heads so they should work well on premium pump fuel even if it does have 10.8:1 but what is the total timing? Has it ever rattled if you lug it up a hill or anything?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    According to my paperwork, timing @ idle is 19 degrees and timing full adv is 35 degres. Brian said the timing is perfect and that I shouldn't touch it. He also said he played around with it and when he set it where it is now, it went up a whole 8 hp. If he moved it, it dropped.

I have a 12 bolt btw.

And yes, my car was a base model 327 with a powerglide from the factory.
    1968 Camaro 383

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    Looks as though you need a Tornado in your intake...would probably see the #'s you wanted with that for sure.

LOL but in all seriousness some cars just dont throw down #'s. I have seen 600hp pulls out of 7-8 second cars with silly converters. Doesnt mean they are not rocket ships
    Last edited by BigSnailBuick; 05-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

Oh that reminds me, I was going to say what converter it was.

It's a Precision Industries 2400.
    1968 Camaro 383

have you verified it is getting full throttle?
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Aside from the dyno #'s, how does it drive?

Do you want to change anything in the setup, or are you comfortable with where the car is at?
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

New covers paired with the best gaskets I could get. If it leaks now there are big problems.

It drives great Andy. I'm good with the setup for now. Mostly because I can't afford any upgrades haha.
    1968 Camaro 383

I need to pick up new covers for my truck.. what'd those run you?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

$145 for the covers.
    1968 Camaro 383

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    mine will have to go soon to get tuned and be disappointed after lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    mine will have to go soon to get tuned and be disappointed after lol

There are always those places around that gaurantee you wont be dissapointed with the numbers afterwards, but how the car runs overall afterwards is another story!

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    It drives great Andy. I'm good with the setup for now.
    There are always those places around that guarantee you wont be disappointed with the numbers afterwards, but how the car runs overall afterwards is another story!
    exactly
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)