Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My "new" Truck!

My "new" Truck!

Almost a year since I picked up my '06 F-150, I was ready for another truck. I have been eyeing up a truck that was about a mile down the road from the house. He was looking for a grass cutting garden tractor and I might have 5 .... or 20 of those laying around. Arrived home on Friday after work and found this in my yard!

1947 Ford 1.5 Ton with a stake bed. Bed tilts too, well it should anyways. (:

(no worries, cutting grass later today)

woohoo, 60 mph!

mmm... flathead

Started working on it yesterday. Finally got spark. It has a dual ignition system and the points were stuck.

Should be fun and keep me busy this summer. Plenty to learn about 1940s technology.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Looks like it needs a can of degreaser or 20. I like it! What's the plans for it?
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

As of now, just get it running smoothly, get the brakes working (pedal just goes to the floor, but the emergency/parking brake works great!), rewire it, clean it up, and then see what I have to work with. The tires are going to be a big expense, but are obviously very important. And probably have to get new wheels since I doubt I can find anybody who wants to dismount and remount on wheels nicknamed the "widow makers".
    --Michelle--

Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Nice find. I can't believe it isn't mangled from 50 "farmers" cobbling it together. Modern rubber isn't bad to mount on those wheels.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

2 speed rear axle?

Very cool find, fun old truck

wtf is 1940 technology? Is that like 1 step up from steam engine?

Very cool truck though. Is that flat bed hydraulic? Is it operational?
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Quote Originally Posted by WickedSix View Post
    2 speed rear axle?

Very cool find, fun old truck
    How would I identify if I have that?
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    wtf is 1940 technology? Is that like 1 step up from steam engine?

Very cool truck though. Is that flat bed hydraulic? Is it operational?
    It's supposed to tilt. Haven't tried it yet, but will try once it's running. Need to rebuild the carb and that should help get it running for more than a few seconds.
    --Michelle--

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well, 1930's era technology at least

When people say "rides like a truck!" this is the era that they talk about...today's trucks, even 3/4 and 1 tons, all pretty much have ride and handling that's not too far off the pace of cars...heck, many prefer the rides of trucks to cars. But in those days trucks rode worse than semi tractor trailers of today.

You know Adam is eyeing that thing for how many tractors he can get on the rear of that thing, don't you
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 04-30-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Its been so long since I worked on the one a friend had... I believe it has a lever on the rear axle that operates the two different ratios. There is a photo of the rearend here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-of-model.html

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Is there a floor mounted push button? (like the old high beam switch of old days)

You would double clutch the truck while pushing the button and it would shift the diff. I can't remember but I think once you went below a certain speed it would downshift itself. (trying to remember an old 50 era delivery truck I used to drive)

That's a cool truck! I'd look into putting in modern axles to get your self modern brakes and rubber. I'd find out what rear axle ratio you have and take some width measurements and look at some bread trucks/top kicks/f700's in junk yards. What size tires are on it now?

Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    Is there a floor mounted push button? (like the old high beam switch of old days)

You would double clutch the truck while pushing the button and it would shift the diff. I can't remember but I think once you went below a certain speed it would downshift itself. (trying to remember an old 50 era delivery truck I used to drive)
    This is what I have.

I have these levers, but I think the other two are for tilting bed and the other being the emergency/parking brake.

--Michelle--

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

That button on the floor below the clutch is probably the high beams switch. (The truck I drove had a button similar but it had a pedal to it and it was located next to the gas.
    One way to really make sure is just crawl underneath and see if there are any cables/rods or wires to a solenoid on the rear diff. The truck I drove was an International Harvester about 1955ish or newer (it was almost 30 years ago LOL)
    This truck might not be heavy enough for a 2 speed rear axle. Plus, I think it's too old to have an electric switch actuated solenoid type.
    Your best bet is to follow those levers and see where they go.

I did find this interesting link regarding 2 speed axles.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/20...axle-work.html

Read the post from this guy: 59_F-700 Pretty interesting.

That's a cool truck! I'd look into putting in modern axles to get your self modern brakes and rubber. I'd find out what rear axle ratio you have and take some width measurements and look at some bread trucks/top kicks/f700's in junk yards. What size tires are on it now?
    7.50 x 20

Another old Ford guy confirmed I didn't have the "widow makers" and my rims are still usable. I still don't want to spend $1200 on tires, but I have thought of your idea about doing some swapping. I'm sure others have done it, so I will have to look into what works well.
    --Michelle--

that pedal to the right of the gas pedal? the one your talking about?
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

nvm that is the gas pedal

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    nvm that is the gas pedal
    Haha, I know. It doesn't have much travel, but then again it has a top speed of 60 mph according to the speedometer...
    --Michelle--

we'll see about that

Vintage Racer
    If you need help or advice with the engine my dad is a Flathead fanatic and has done many high performance and stock builds with extensive knowledge and resources, shoot me a PM if you want his shop number and what not. 60mph is very optimistic, my dads 36 panel truck does about 50mph and thats cookin pretty good for that. Willing to bet 45-50mph will be where the truck is most comfortable. Cool truck though, not many people like the bigger trucks of that era. We have a few here if you want more =P
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan