Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My "new" Truck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    Nice truck.

Get those brakes working and take it for a spin.
    Having some issues with the clutch. Seems a bit.... stuck. The PO said they have a tendency to do that when sitting for so long, but that it would "free itself up" over time.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    just think how many tractors can fit on the flatbed at once!
    or SHO's or parts

Got some new (well used) inside door handles today. Should prevent me from getting stuck inside the cab now.

Delilah likes to sit shotgun in my other truck. Will be pretty cute to see her in this beast.

--Michelle--

Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Dogs shouldn't be in the front seat...
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Dogs shouldn't be in the front seat...
    Backseat was full at the time. Only way to transport both of them. The only thing I miss about the big conversion van was the room in the back for both!
    --Michelle--

So what are some tips to free up one of these old clutches?
    --Michelle--

Google returns this "solution":

I have a car that sticks after sitting.
    The way I get it loose get it warmed up good,then aim the car in a safe direction and crank it in 1st gear.
    When it starts,it will take off!Keep the clutch pedal to the floor and bounce the throttle.
    Does it every time.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

The PO's idea was to tow it around to try and play around with it to break it free. No such luck last night, but we'll keep trying.

Another idea was to jack up the rear, have it running and "driving", and then drop the jack. Didn't seem like a super safe plan...
    --Michelle--

Did you check any cables or similar to make sure they're moving and not broken? I'm not too familiar with 40s technology, but from a troubleshooting standpoint that's where I'd start.

Oh and btw, sweet ride!
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    The jack idea for some reason does not sound like a good idea.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

one way or another, you basically have to shock the clutch. I don't really know that a 'safe' way to do it without a lot of wrenching exists.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Still having clutch issues. Pulled stuff off today and looked around. These pieces fell out after removing the inspection plate from the bottom. Oh fun!

--Michelle--

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Could be pressure plate pieces. Either way small metal pieces in there probably means there's a piece stuck between something and has it locked. When the spring broke on my TDI the clutch was locked.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I will talk to a friend of mine that specializes in that vintage of old truck. There has to be a safer way to do this task.

Transmission has to come out. Just need to figure out the best (easiest) way to do it.
    --Michelle--

its just like any other trans removal except you can unbolt your floorpan to get more access. Your gear box is bolted from the inside like a C4. (Divorced Bellhousing) So you will need to yank it all at once.

Talked to my friend about the clutch and when he drove his for the first few times he drove it around a farmers field till the clutch free'd up. It took a few weeks of shocking the clutch and spraying down the linkage with AC Delco Heat riser pentrant spray.

He went thru Coker for the tires.

Pardon the spelling way over tired.

Adjusted the clutch pedal today and I can shift gears! Drove it around the neighborhood a few times under it's own power. And the best part - I have a working taillight! Ah, the little things. (:
    --Michelle--

It always feel good to get something running again. Was the linkage froze up or did it just need adjustment?

Needed adjustment. Big relief not to have to pull the transmission, that's for sure!
    --Michelle--