Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by frank_zappa_is_dead View Post
    Those old hondas go forever!
    You are correct when you say that it will "go forever," but this bike's engine has lost a significant amount of pressure in two of its cylinders.

I was riding through Brookfield about 3 weeks ago when my engine was running rough. I thought it was a fuel issue, such as air caught in the fuel line. I looked behind me and saw a thick grey cloud, which was coming out of my left exhaust pipe. I rode it straight home and started to perform a variety of tests on the engine and ignition. After checking the valve adjustments, I narrowed the problem down to either worn piston rings or poorly seating/damaged valves.

Time for a tear-down...then a rebuild.

Milwaukee Cycle salvage has a cb1100f engine. I'll start with that and bore it out to accept a set of Wiseco pistons.

PICS FROM THE PAST!!!

A hot evening in July:

Back when I was dealing with 5th gear:

I Could not get the engine in the frame, so I put the frame around the engine. A purist will cry at this.

The Oil Dry bag was comfortable to sit on. I never really had to open it until I knocked a bottle of oil over:

This is a pic of the day I broke down in Villa Park, IL. My stator was grounding and the bike was not charging.

I have NO intentions of selling this bike at this point.
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

I bought the engine. I'll get to tearing Marla down later this week.

I'm looking for an engine shop to bore out my cylinders (possibly sleeve). Any recommendations?

Bump!

Again:
    Can anyone recommend a shop for my engine work?

Check with Mike (whiler?) at SouthEast Sales. I believe he works at the location that sells BMWs.

http://www.southeastsales.com/
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

Competition cycle in butler will do the machine work. Had a cylinder bored by them on a dirt bike and they were super reasonable. It's cool to see somebody doing this. Most people would sell and move on.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

An important detail about this motorcycle is that I've removed the parts, inspected the parts, reassembled them and managed to get the bike running again.

To me, that is something uncommon.

My current plans are to build a wheeled cart to put the bike on. I have some giant locking castor wheels which I picked up at the Buell liguidation sale. This will allow anyone to wheel it around the garage when they need to get to something. It will also help me by getting the bike an extra 18 inches off the ground.

The project is still on delay because I have yet to get my elbow (well, a second doc identified the issue as a spot about 3 inches down from my elbow) fixed. But I did replace my car yesterday...a "granny marquis." That civic of mine is falling apart.
    Last edited by Al; 10-30-2012 at 12:03 AM.

I constructed a special dolly for Marla. The dolly holds on to the frame of the motorcycle, thus allowing me to remove the wheels, kickstand and center stand, as well as half of the frame, when I remove the engine. Also, it allows non-motorcycle-educated family members to move the bike in the garage.

The stand works, but I'll probably make a simpler version soon.

This is my cb1100f engine. It needs an overhaul, but alone will make 25% more power than the 900.

I'm going to frankenstein the 900 and the 1100 with a set of Wiseco pistons and hopefully end up with an air-cooled, shaft-drive, 10-speed bastard motorcycle that scares 600s!

Let's go do wheelies in high range!

Al, Do you need another 1982 CB900?? I have one in storage, it was my stepfather's bike who passed away last year....

No title, needs work....

35,000 ish miles, full vetter fairing and bags. $500

Update:
    Cylinder block has been bored to match a set of Wiseco pistons.
    Competition Cycle did the machine work.
    "Marla" has been disassembled to just the engine and the frame. Getting the engine out of the frame -or- frame off of the engine is the hardest part.