Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Building a "distance" gun, on a budget that doesn't cost a fortune to shoot.

I felt this title better than "budget sniper rifle" since I didn't feel like mall ninja commnents. Basically, after working with my bipod and scope on my AR I'm starting to think I should really build a "distance" gun. The AR in .223 is tons of fun and cheap to shoot, but with an 18" barrel isn't really setup for anything over 300yd I'm guessing, and my shooting ability won't be helping it Plus I kinda want another gun in the collection.
    I was thinking something bolt action, but I hit a wall at WHAT? and in WHAT CALIBER? I've perused some threads on THR etc, and it seems like 7.62 and .308 are better choices in the 400-1000yd range (NO I don't claim to be able to hit a wall at a 1000yds, just a point of reference) I know 7.62 is usually a bit cheaper, but .308 is readily available anywhere. I don't want to go with some crazy wildcat or mystic round.

Then comes the gun itself. Savages and Mosin's have come highly recommended as a cheap starting point. I'd consider an AR conversion, but don't want to sacrifice the one I have, and I'd think the cost of a loaded AR conversion would be pricier than a dolled up...anything else.
    What do you guys think?
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    7.62 ammo i in abundace,.308 is not hard to get,myself i would go .308 jmo

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

what would you pick for a base gun to work with? Kinda would like to build something with a bit of a modern look, but I'm ok starting with a cheaper gun and upgrading the furniture/optics and all that.

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    get a mosin and get a stock kit. there are so many parts and they come crazy cheap.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FT-MOS...-p/400-258.htm

+1 on the mosin

Armailite AR-10 and done
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Uh ya a ar10 308 game set match

AR-10 style rifle is nice. Your looking at $1000+ to get into one. The savage and mosin are a cheap way to get into a longer distance gun. The 7.62x54 the mosin shoots is not as common az 308WIN/7.62NATO

I do build AR-10s as well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

but the AR10 will take his attachments as well,you gotta be happy with the build in the long run and not look at it as i got it cuz it was cheap and now it was a waste of money you could have put towards the right weapon.

I like the ar10 but I'd like bolt action. I looked at a Savage Axis in 308, for about 319 at Cabelas. I know with an AR you can just the the reciever which qualifies as the "gun" and piece the rest togther...can you do that with a bolt action? Can you buy the bolt/reciever itself and kit a gun round it? It seems like I've seen that with rem 700's etc.

and I say "Cheap" for the base gun, I want to do a full custom job, since thats the fun part for me. I see they have some really cool stocks for the savage guns, everything from "Sport" to "sniper" styles. I had seen a Savage 110 for $185 used a year ago but wasn't looking for one at the time. I have a hard time paying $500 for something that I'm only using a tiny but of.
    Example; looked at the Savage Axis for $319....but would have to get the accutrigger seperate....then the stock style I like....then the heavy barrell etc.
    I was hoping armslist might have a used savage for under $250-275 to start.

get the remington bolt action then

1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD - Broke

6.5mm bullets are the flattest shooting, no arguments there.
    Savage accu trigger/stock bone stock. 6.5x284, 6.5 Creedmore are a couple 1000yrd out of the box rounds.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

I've seen the ammo, but went to 3 gun stores this weekend and didn't see anything in 6.5 in the savage's

Again, is it even possible to just buy a reciever/action and build it "kit" style like you can with all the AR stuff? I can find the stocks, barrels, and trigger assemblies all day long.

Vintage Racer
    Send it to Gunsmoke their work is the best rofl. Personally with regards to ammo go .308, you can get good match grade ammo for $17 a box. I use Prvi Partizan 168gr BTHP match $17/box at cabelas, cycles my AR-10 excellent, consistent hits. Only had a couple problems with it with a primer falling out after firing, only happened with one bullet out of the 300 I've shot. Good brass to reload too.
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

A Savage 116 is a nice gun for the money. Stainless action, synthetic stock, muzzle brake & accu-trigger. Armslist has them starting at $345.

Any link on that?
    I;ve been looking through armslist alot the past few days, but everyone wants STUPID money for what they have. Sig .22 mosquito for $50 more than NEW, and treated lke shit? wtf

I think I've spent more time flagging things as overpriced than I have actually finding decent guns.

Here's one in Illinois. Not sure if this one has a muzzle brake, but many of the magnum calibers do.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/331651...vage-116-30-06