I felt this title better than "budget sniper rifle" since I didn't feel like mall ninja commnents. Basically, after working with my bipod and scope on my AR I'm starting to think I should really build a "distance" gun. The AR in .223 is tons of fun and cheap to shoot, but with an 18" barrel isn't really setup for anything over 300yd I'm guessing, and my shooting ability won't be helping it Plus I kinda want another gun in the collection.
I was thinking something bolt action, but I hit a wall at WHAT? and in WHAT CALIBER? I've perused some threads on THR etc, and it seems like 7.62 and .308 are better choices in the 400-1000yd range (NO I don't claim to be able to hit a wall at a 1000yds, just a point of reference) I know 7.62 is usually a bit cheaper, but .308 is readily available anywhere. I don't want to go with some crazy wildcat or mystic round.

Then comes the gun itself. Savages and Mosin's have come highly recommended as a cheap starting point. I'd consider an AR conversion, but don't want to sacrifice the one I have, and I'd think the cost of a loaded AR conversion would be pricier than a dolled up...anything else.
What do you guys think?