Recommendation for scope

Hey guys!

I’ve never used a scope before on any rifle, well maybe a couple times up north, nothing I owned. I have a S&W MP15 Sport and I would like to get something that is user friendly and easy to use at the range. Any recommendation would be great.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Thanks,

Josh
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Magnification or no magnification? If you want magnification get a low power Leupold and call it a day. If you don't, get an EoTech or an Aimpoint (I preffer EoTech, although I have both). If you're not sure, get an EoTech/Aimpoint and try it out, if you decide you want magnification you can get a magnifier, just make sure you have enough rail space for the magnifier, red dot, and BUIS.

Is there a good online store that you recommend or around here in person?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Like Sean was saying it really depends on what your shooting and what you want to do.

Just plinking? You can get by on the cheap as you never realize the value of a $350 scope.

Long distance shooting? You might be looking at the $350 and up scopes. (Leupold)

Tactical shooting? The Eo tech or the Aimpoint could be what your looking for.

I've always been in the plinking/hunting category and have been very satisfied with scopes under $150.

I have a $100 Simons 3-9 x 40 on my 6.8spc AR-15 for whitetail hunting and she knocks em down just fine and holds her zero for the 100 yard or less conditions i encounter.
    The .223 is my plinking gun so again the 3-9 X 40 under $150 works just fine.

Rock River Arms has a great mount for $50 with free shipping.
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=385

Optics planet has always been good to me.

For a really cheap plinking scope, I like the walmart ones with illuminated reticles (red or green adjustable) but on anything I want to be reliable I have Leupold and Nikkon scopes. I do not own any really high end stuff and I don't want to try them cause then I will want them lol
    2002 F150 supercrew- st8 pipe, SCT-3 w/custom tunes
    1999 Yamaha RoadStar Silverado
    2002 Honda vtx1800 - exhaust, programmer, hypercharger, lowered
    97.5 Regal GS - some small mods. (Grandpa's Sleeper)
    52 MG TD Replica VW powered ​FOR SALE

Vintage Racer
    If you want a good scope that I find and personally like far better than any leupold I've ever shot for about 1/3 the price and is every bit as accurate and reliable go with the Millett TRS line of scopes, TRS2 is fixed power, TRS1 is adjustable 4-16x50 with 30mm tube and iluminated mil-dot reticle. I've shot this many times accurately at 500 yds on my DPMS LR-308. Holds zero very well with the higher powered shell, built like a brick shithouse, good clarity, and can be had new for about $300 roughly (probably about $280 on ebay)
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

I have an Aimpoint on one of my rifles. I just picked up some Primary Arms optics so I could stock some things in the inexpensive category. Their red dots (Aimpoint clone) get good reviews. I grabbed two scopes from them, one 1-4X24 and one 3-9X40, both lighted reticles. Jury is still out on those. I put the 3-9X40 on a 6.8 rifle I'm building and there seems to be a lot of distortion.

As said before, what you get depends on what you want to do. Close to medium range, a red dot or holo sight with magnifier should do well. Long range I'd consider a scope. I've sold the Hilux CMR scopes to a few people and they seem to be a great product. They are a Close to Medium range scope in 1-4 power with 24mm objective lens.

I can get you optics in any of the configurations talked about here.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Great info guys, I'm going to shop around this week.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Nikon fixxed 4x on my MP 15-22, never miss. There is a pic in my signature, get the rimfire scope verion obviously.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Redfield scopes are nice for the money. I'm looking to pick up an aimpoint soon as well.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

I finally bought a scope this week. I've always liked the red dot. And after qualifying with the M4 at base last week I knew that I wanted one for my MP15.

Burris XTS-135

Now the only thing left is the mounting ring. How high should I go?

http://www.burristactical.com/xtrrings.html
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I have the exact mount you need. It is designed for an AR and puts your optic at a height that allows you to use your iron sights without removing the optic (Lower 1/3 co-witness). It's made by Primary Arms and fits 30mm or 1" tubes. Price is $20-5%+tax, and $5 to ship, unless you want to take a trip up here.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."