Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homelite chainsaw, two thumbs down.

They may make heavy duty models but the 14" I bought 2 years ago from Home Depot was trouble since day one. I bought it and had a hell of a time getting it started the year we moved in, wrote it off. Last year masterd starting it after 50 or 60 pulls but would get fuel starved and die during use. This year with a whopping 30 minutes run time since new the F-er locked up solid, expect rings melted during lean fuel. Sitting in my garbage can, $150 wasted.

Just a heads up for home owners, Homelite has plenty of hate words online now that I researched.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Heavy duty my ass. The stuff you buy at Sears/Home Depot/etc is not the same shit that you get at an implement store like Speedway, Olson's,

Buy yourself a Stihl Farm Boss (18" chain) or man up and buy a Stihl MS 660 w/ 24" and 36" chain for big jobs.... or both

-Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

I have a Husqvarna 455 rancher with a 20 inch bar......badass. I put it through some stuff since I bought it. 30 some trees in my yard, 4 years of cutting fire wood which is about 8 full face cords a year plus cedar cutting for deer stands or furniture. You have to go with quality and background on these things. I wish I would have gotten a little smaller one and then put a bigger bar on it. Mine is heavy as hell after awhile. I love the Stihl's also. Both are reliable. Remember, as with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Hope your next one treats you better. Any warranty??
    "LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT"

'95 Rio Red Cobra 347 stroked SOLD!!
    '73 Mach 1 351 2v mostly stock
    '07 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200XLN SOLD!!
    '06 GMC Envoy (wifes DD)
    '03 Ford F150 XLT FX4 (DD)

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Buy yourself a Stihl Farm Boss (18" chain)

THIS^^^. I bought my father one of these years ago and used it a few times. I knew Stihl was seriously nice stuff but was not expecting it to do what I was doing. I was like a kid in a candy store dropping and chopping 50ft+ hard and softwood trees like a hot knife through butter. I remember paying $240 and thought that was a steal for what I was able to do......

I have a Rigid electric chainsaw (lulz), but I'll be damned if that shit doesn't cut through whatever I throw at it.
    Still runs great after ~5yrs.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

The homolite my dad bought a couple years ago is dead now i was tying to cut some trees down in the back yard that the snow dragged over and it wouldn't stay running to save its life finally have up after it flung the chain and dug around the back of the garage for the old swedish built jonsered i knew i had stashed back there been sitting fr about 6 or so years brand new bar and chain and still full of gas oops. That fuckers got more compression than my dirt bike lol got her fired up on aybe the 5th pull (no prime bulb) and barely had to touch the throttle to cut the thing was acually torqy if you reved it quick. i don't know if i'll be able to find parts for it any more since i don't know how old it is but thats what i'de use looks just like this http://www.best-chain-saws-reviews.g...aw-chains.jpeg
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Should have bought the Husqvarna 235e/240e. Worth the $200 it costs (can get it "on sale" with a carrying case for the same price). 346xp (2lbs lighter than a 460 rancher) is a nice saw also but I prefer my little 235e. Emissions make it a pain to start but it runs whether it's 0 or 80 outside. Plus I don't care if I hurt a $200 saw.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Homelite was bought out by Ryobi. I had to order some gaskets for my Homelite Vac Attack blower and saw the Ryobi name in with Homelite.
    I have a Poulon Wild Thing chainsaw and it has been a good saw for the little that I use it. Lots of the Sears chainsaws are also Poulon.
    1980 Z28 Convertible project
    LM1 350, 700r4, 3.73 posi

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Husqvarna, which used to be owned by Electrolux owns Poulan and Jonsered. Many of the Sears outdoor equipment are either Electrolux or Poulan.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

too clarify the above post electrolux got bought out by ayp who husqvarna then bought out

husqvarna has been making everything from guns knives chainsawas sewing machines u name it since the 1800 a great home owner/semi comercial saw is a 45 -460 ranger it will handle just about everything the normal person would throw at it. russ if ur interested in a nice husqvarna or echo saw give me a holler got some great deals going on at my work

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Just a side note that my Homelite gas weed wacker sucks major donkey balls also. WILL NOT stay running no matter what you do to it. Cleaned carb, adjust carb, choke, no choke, doesn't matter runs exactly the same. Will idle but then you give it throttle and it dies. Serious pile of shit. Probably 3 years old. Works great when new and then deteriorates immediately after each use. Going to buy a commercial string trimmer this weekend.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

see ya again

hope you will do same things again

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    Just a side note that my Homelite gas weed wacker sucks major donkey balls also. WILL NOT stay running no matter what you do to it. Cleaned carb, adjust carb, choke, no choke, doesn't matter runs exactly the same. Will idle but then you give it throttle and it dies. Serious pile of shit. Probably 3 years old. Works great when new and then deteriorates immediately after each use. Going to buy a commercial string trimmer this weekend.
    I own a Stihl weed wacker too. Destroys everything even at half throttle. I've already been through this owning crap that lasts a season or two.
    -Andy

^ I was looking at the Stihl weed wackers online and they get good reviews. I have a nice landscaping equipment dealers near me that I am checking out tonight after work to see what he's got. Carries Husqvarna, Stihl, Toro, Poulon. I'll pay $250-400 for a string trimmer if the thing lasts!

455 Rancher. Best Chainsaw I've ever owned. I have a Stihl trimmer that was decent, now a Honda four stroke trimmer that rarely gets above an idle for grass, its a beast.
    03 Audi RS6 -v8 twin turbo-
    02 Crewcab Dually -dropped and smoking on semi wheels -
    02 VW Jetta -1.8t will nevar lose-

I got my homelite Weed Wacker at the direct tool outlet, it's on season #4 without any issues... I feel like the refurbished stuff is better than the original... Maybe they work the bugs out? LOL
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

^ that thing is on borrowed time. One tank of bad gas or anything and it will destroy the carb making the unit junk. I found a replacement carb for my Homelite on Ebay that I have picked up so I can replace it and get the thing running again but I'm buying an Echo string trimmer to replace this one.

BCM Cruiser
    I had an older echo string trimmer and hated it. I think it was realistically 15 years old but I remember that stupid thing being impossible to start from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    ^ I was looking at the Stihl weed wackers online and they get good reviews. I have a nice landscaping equipment dealers near me that I am checking out tonight after work to see what he's got. Carries Husqvarna, Stihl, Toro, Poulon. I'll pay $250-400 for a string trimmer if the thing lasts!
    Go all out and get the stihl weed wacker that you can change the implement on the end... so it can be a weed wacker, an edger, or small till.
    -Andy

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Joe View Post
    I got my homelite Weed Wacker at the direct tool outlet, it's on season #4 without any issues... I feel like the refurbished stuff is better than the original... Maybe they work the bugs out? LOL
    operator error i have one that was given to me starts on 3rd pull everytime and gas sits in it yr round have had it for 7yrs, not the most powerful bugger but starts and gets the job done. Wish it would blow up so i can get a new nice one but damn thing wont die. Only thing is i run synthetic oil in the gas(was given to me by a neighbor for his racing boat that he sold)