Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

05 Focus ST 2.3L engine noise - Video

Help!

http://youtu.be/qzuA9c5UKAM

Name this noise. happened on the freeway over the weekend, got to a gas station, dip stick was dry.. added oil, got home, added more, and this is how it sits.

Beginning to think it is now a top end noise, but unsure.

Just took the valve cover off, and to me nothing looks odd to the eye.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Nick
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

For Sale - Enkei Kojin 18x8.5 5x114.3 +35 wheels/Hankook tires

PS3 tage: DSMDuDE

Determining the specific cause of a noise like that is very difficult from video/sound.....

How long was the noise audible on the freeway - do you know why there was no oil left - was there an issue with abnormal oil consumption before this happened?

I hate to say this but my money is on that engine is not worth attempting to fix.....
    Last edited by Car Guy; 02-27-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    I hate to say this but my money is on that engine is not worth attempting to fix.....
    Dido.

Even if you fix the noise, which I think has something to do with the timing chain, you still have an engine that eats oils. Find a new engine or sell the car.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-28-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Head will be off today. I plan to have to keep the car for awhile longer. Common problem with these Duratec's consuming oil is the PCV system that is hidden underneath the intake manifold. That will be replaced, as well as a new timing chain/tensioner/guide.

But, we shall see once the head is off.
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

Quote Originally Posted by xxtremeteam View Post
    Thank you, I just sent them a text asking what size the engine is.. I am guessing it is a 2.0l D though and not a 2.3 D
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by xxtremeteam View Post

He got back to me. It's a 2.0. Thanks for looking out though!
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

u said the dip stick was dry? how much did u have to add? i know the oil filters on duratecs hang down right in front off the block and if you use the wrong filter its too long but still screws on and works it just hangs WAY too low and get hit by things and leak. thats my guess.

duratec engines are strong as hell and have one main ladder cap on the crankshaft and are timing chain. you ran it dry of oil for sure tho. its fucked.

theres a 2.3L duratec on craigslist in MKE for like 400$. i tried to scoop it for 100$ but the guy was being a turd. its been listed for 6 monthes now. go buy it. cuz u need a new engine

its very common on focaljet.com to see posts about duratec people getting the long filters put on at jiffy lubes and smacking them off and leaking all the oil out. search around its common issue.

Post whore
    How does the pcv system use up quarts of oil? The baffles in the valve cover prevents any actual oil from flowing through the pcv system into the intake. In fact if this is what is really happening then you have way too much crank case pressure and other problems. I've fixed the pcv rubber elbow on a bunch of those and even the 3.0 and is more for a clasped rubber elbow. Your intake would be just covered in lots of oil creating a very poor running condition. I don't buy that one. Probably the rings, now that I've ran across on the 2.3 engine as wel as the 2.0's.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-28-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    How does the pcv system use up quarts of oil? The baffles in the valve cover prevents any actual oil from flowing through the pcv system into the intake. In fact if this is what is really happening then you have way too much crank case pressure and other problems. I've fixed the pcv rubber elbow on a bunch of those and even the 3.0 and is more for a clasped rubber elbow. Your intake would be just covered in lots of oil creating a very poor running condition. I don't buy that one. Probably the rings, now that I've ran across on the 2.3 engine as wel as the 2.0's.
    Thanks for your info!

I searched and couldn't find it.. Do you have a link for the motor? By tomorrow we will have the head off. I didn't have enough compressor to get the crank pulley bolt off.

More info i hate hearing.. lol

If anything the pan is easy to pull, so we might do that as well....
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

Post whore
    I'm not sure what link your referring to. I'm just going off memory from working on these cars more than I cared to. I think there is a TSB's about the rubber pcv elbow and excessive oil consumption.
    I would def drop the oil pan just to make sure. You could at the same time throw a new set of rings in it. Just flex hone the cylinders then put the rings in. When I worked for Toyota and the 98-02 Corollas had ring glazing issues I would just pull the head and oil pan, check the cylinder walls for damage like piston skirt scrapping and also measure each cylinder three times, top, middle. Bottom with a bore gauge. This step is to make sure the cylinder is not out of round. Almost everytime i could still see the cross-hatching still on the walls so just new rings were in order.
    So if the cylinder walls still look good just deglaze the cylinders(use flex hone) and install new rings. GL.
    Last edited by spooln30; 02-29-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spooln30 View Post
    I'm not sure what link your referring to. I'm just going off memory from working on these cars more than I cared to. I think there is a TSB's about the rubber pcv elbow and excessive oil consumption.
    I would def drop the oil pan just to make sure. You could at the same time throw a new set of rings in it. Just flex hone the cylinders then put the rings in. When I worked for Toyota and the 98-02 Corollas had ring glazing issues I would just pull the head and oil pan, check the cylinder walls for damage like piston skirt scrapping and also measure each cylinder three times, top, middle. Bottom with a bore gauge. This step is to make sure the cylinder is not out of round. Almost everytime i could still see the cross-hatching still on the walls so just new rings were in order.
    So if the cylinder walls still look good just deglaze the cylinders(use flex hone) and install new rings. GL.
    Sorry - Stolle was talking about the link to the engine on CL MKE

Do you know what year 2.3's i would be able to use if i were to look for an engine?
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

92 Bimini Blue Coupe ZZZZzzzzZZZ
    2003 DSG Cobra

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
    Function:Error
    IF IT DOESN'T HAVE TITS, A TRIGGER, OR THROTTLE I'M NOT INTERESTED

Thanks, I saw that one last night, even know everything looked right. I was not sure about the "ZTS" Even know it is a year older, guess i could find out how many miles are on it, and if compression is known...
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

Did you inspect the engine's internals yet?
    Last edited by Car Guy; 02-29-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Not yet, that will happen this evening/tonight

Saw your post about knowing the seller of the motor. It all depends on what the outcome of this motor is. Also what the specs are of that motor on CL MKE

Thanks
    Nick
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

He is a good friend of two very good friends of mine......
    Last edited by Car Guy; 02-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Emailed me back saying this:

Don't know the compression numbers but engine has 79,000 miles on it. We also guarantee the motor is good and return your money if not completely satisfied.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Nick Andersen
    andersen.nickj@gmail.com

2011 Volkswagen GTI
    2002 Lexus IS300 - Sold

i say do it if it's a good price. I'm sure you got more then enough people on here willing to give you a helping hand if it's needed
    92 Bimini Blue Coupe ZZZZzzzzZZZ
    2003 DSG Cobra

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude
    Function:Error
    IF IT DOESN'T HAVE TITS, A TRIGGER, OR THROTTLE I'M NOT INTERESTED