Thread: Dumb question

Vintage Racer

Dumb question

Looking at buying a cummins with shot motor, are all 6bts the same? I know they have different HP figures and probably some small parts, but are all blocks the same?

For example a guy is selling 190HP take outs from buses, would that have same block as the 180HP out of the 3/4 ton truck?
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

Vintage Racer
    Nevermind mods lock it up. Ass hat sold the truck without the courtesy of letting me know so i didnt lose an hour and a halfs pay to go look at it. But if someone feels like responding still it's handy information.
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

the blocks are interchangable from 89-02. 03 up has different front gear case holes but generally the same block. the HP differences come from the injection pump. 88-93 they had the bosch "VE" pump. in 94-98 they went to the bosch p7100 aka ppump.(the pump still kicking everyother manufactures ass in every diesel orginization out there) 94/95 was a 160hp 96 they had the 175 and 180hp 97/98 they had 180/215 automatics gettin the less horspower pumps. the horspower rating is based on the cam profile in the pump. all light truck pumps have 12mm plungers for fuel feed. the 190hp pumps (medium duty truck, heavy equipment) have 11mm plungers and are basically good for cores in the HP world. the 215 is the most desirable for high performance "street trucks" because the cam profile advances timing with rpm. so u can start with less timing (less haze at idle from adv timing) in 98.5-02 they went to a bosch vp-44 which was electronic and a piece of shit. LOL and once 03 came around it went to the high pressure CP3 injection common rail.
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package