Flywheel Selection

So I plan on replacing my flywheel in the next month, ordering it in the next few days....

I am looking at either the SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel or a SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel...

Pros/cons with both.

Please no sarcastic comments. Just want the facts. Pics will follow when it arrives...
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

From what I know Aluminum flywheels do not help the 1/4 mile, but assist with quicker rev matching for autocross and such. For a street car I heard to stay steel. I also heard that aluminum is "higher performance" which means "higher maintenance", which makes sense because all the factory flywheels are steel.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Well I'm not sure about higher maintenance because I believe some come with a steel insert where the clutch disc makes contact. From what I know the steel would give you more inertia for launching or taking off from a light at an intersection. I dunno if it's harder to drive on the street or that people just have to get used to them and not jump to an early conclusion.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    Well I'm not sure about higher maintenance because I believe some come with a steel insert where the clutch disc makes contact. From what I know the steel would give you more inertia for launching or taking off from a light at an intersection. I dunno if it's harder to drive on the street or that people just have to get used to them and not jump to an early conclusion.
    you mean an aluminum one. I have heard that it costs you a little bit of tq, but that it will cause the car to rev quicker.

I think it's more the lost rotating mass then an actual drop in torque output from the car.

Here's a pic of a spec alum with the steel center:

All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    I think it's more the lost rotating mass then an actual drop in torque output from the car.

Here's a pic of a spec alum with the steel center:

That is it. Both the steel and the aluminum one have the replaceable friction disc

why didnt you get a fly wheel when the trans was out last year to get a new clutch? this seems like unneed work since you had the current one resurfaced then? I would think you could spend this money else where but maybe im wrong
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    a real one,aluminum,fidanza with replaceable insert

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xxtremeteam View Post
    why didnt you get a fly wheel when the trans was out last year to get a new clutch? this seems like unneed work since you had the current one resurfaced then? I would think you could spend this money else where but maybe im wrong
    I agree. Also I have heard of people having issues with the car stalling out because to the flywheel. When you buy a clutch don't they all come with a flywheel? Mine did.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthy1ss View Post
    When you buy a clutch don't they all come with a flywheel? Mine did.
    Unfortunately not. I know I wish they did when I replaced the clutch in the TDI.

I dont think you will notice much difference at all. For what it's worth, I have a Fidanza billet steel in my car with the replaceable insert. The heavier cars like the extra inertia that comes with the steel wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by xxtremeteam View Post
    Well considering that the clutch replacement was due to a faulty throw out bearing that went suddenly, was done in a town roughly 1500 miles from here, unexpected, needed to get done right away so that we could get back on the road, I was only concerned about getting fixed what needed to be fixed. Sure I dont have any problems now, however I dont want to take a chance with something failing premature. Plus, by getting a Flywheel with a replaceable friction plate, it saves time and money if I need to have the King Cobra Clutch that I have in there replaced or I decide to go with a stronger one.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    a real one,aluminum,fidanza with replaceable insert
    Why Fidanza with the replaceable insert? What makes it better than the SPEC one?

Quote Originally Posted by stealthy1ss View Post
    I agree. Also I have heard of people having issues with the car stalling out because to the flywheel. When you buy a clutch don't they all come with a flywheel? Mine did.
    That is something to be considered in the decision, however I dont think I will have much of an issue. As far as a Clutch/flywheel combo........you must be the lucky one, as I have not seen anything like that for a Mustang.

BCM Cruiser
    Depending on the clutch chosen, I have found with my 240sx that it's much easier to drive on the street with a steel flywheel. The light flywheel was nice, but that combined with a sprung 6 puck made for a more difficult drive. I went back to the steel wheel when I replaced my clutch last time. Having a light flywheel does not cause the car to "stall" the driver not being used to a lighter flywheel causes the car to stall. You learn how to drive it, and it's not a big problem at all.

Scott Walker for President. SSmike1's Avatar
    Steel = More Weight, Better for Drag Racing.
    Aluminum = Less weight, Btter for Quicker RPM Changes, My Choice for Road Racing!
    2000 SS camaro