Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. FORD
    This engine had a great cam-head combo and made 300 to the rear tires. Something wrong here?!!
    It is a great head/cam combo...especially would have worked well for its original purpose. But clearly you believe I am to blame for Mark's engine

And I'm sure you're not alone in that or come to that conclusion by yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    Five rod bearings installed backwards, grinding on the crank chamfer also.
    To explain the crankcase pressure issues-
    when the top ring (compression) and the second ring (scraper) are overwhelmed with oil, they cannot seat. Then add that the rings were eventually washed out by over-fueling, that was the dagger.
    Blame can be placed on the guy that put the parts in the kit, but it doesn't explain the lack of "common sense" that the oil ring package flopped around in the ring groove.
    It WILL have a pcv system in it also.
    Which all shows an inexperienced builder...nor would it have been improved on if I was the only builder.

Here's the thing, I resent the insinuation that this is *my fault.* It's not that I am totally blameless, since I certainly helped....but:

1. My first offer to help was simply put together a recipe of parts that would work well for the goals he had.

2. Mark wanted to build it himself, and my original intent was NOT to help in that endeavor...figuring he would be better served by any number of more experienced guys. It was unfortunate that the help never materialized in the way he needed it to.

3. One of my first suggestions was to take it to a shop and have someone build the shortblock and go from there. Spoke of the advantages of having someone who *knows* what they are doing and does it *all the time* put it together for you...in a clean room and all the proper tools to boot. Yet Mark's desire was to build it himself.

4. Given the direction he wanted to go, and still in need of help (and with plenty of reservations of my own knowing the shortcomings and risk and having VOICED them) went and purchased a book stating that we'd do the best we can following those directions to a "T" really not straying from it at all. That's right...purchased a BOOK...not the stuff of grandiose expertise.

---it's with that that I am still somewhat surprised that 5 rod bearings were installed incorrectly...I cannot recall if I was there to help with all eight, but taking great care in the ones we did to make sure all bearings were placed correctly per the instructions. Just as we had done with installing the rings, oil and otherwise. I do not recall what you speak of in terms of the oil rings "flop[ping] around" in there groove so I can't recall what in your words should have been obvious or not...all I can say was that we followed the given directions using the supplied parts and nothing seemed untoward at that time, meaning that I recall that the oil rings moved freely, but no necessarily flopping around in it's groove.

5. On the issues involving the rockers, *again* I pleaded ignorance. Familiar with mopar shaft mounted rockers, not pedestal mounted rockers I advised Mark to get someone with experience (even if he had to PAY them) to measure correct length push-rods (I had no experience doing so) and adjusting them, since I was clueless...again, no help was forthcoming, tried best as I could to help Mark.

To try and put this in perspective, more than once I told Mark not tell people I'm "building" or even much helping. I didn't want "shout outs" or anything that would give me credit I thought was undue. Success of not, I stressed that this was his baby through and through. All I could claim was to help him with things that were relatively simple and hope better help would come along at the tough spots. I made what I thought the best recommendations, and followed or not, lead us to here.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I DON'T answer everyones automotive questions on internet threads then backpedal when I was clearly wrong or didn't use my head
    Um, but you do state blatant untruths
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    Now we wait for the novel response.

Ah crap 2 min late lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    Now we wait for the novel response.

Ah crap 2 min late lol
    Detailed...hardly even column lengthed.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

LS engine.

That is all.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

What is untrue?
    As far as your response, the ONLY thing I see as not "back pedalling" is the fact that experience and expertise beats reading a "book".
    Keep reaching for BS, it is entertaining.
    I will go as far to say that helping a friend is great, and if there are mess-ups, you still tried to help.
    Your arrogance and "know it all" attitude is what put your tit in the ringer.
    If ANYONE wants to confirm these FACTS, call Clint at C&S who is performing the necessary machine work 262-781-0469.
    Oh, and BTW, you might want to update your computer- in ANY engine when you install main studs, you align hone the block.....
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    LS engine.

That is all.
    They too have rings, rod bearings, etc. that need to be installed correctly.

Blog Entries
    What is untrue?
    "...answer everyones automotive questions on internet ..."

Um, yah...I don't

As far as your response, the ONLY thing I see as not "back pedalling" Your arrogance and "know it all" attitude is what put your tit in the ringer.
    Oh, I know I'm held to a higher standard. I don't mind...

That said, I still stand by the events as I told them. If anyone says I was the builder or pretended to know everything during the build or otherwise, they're wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. FORD
    Oh, and BTW, you might want to update your computer- in ANY engine when you install main studs, you align hone the block.....
    Um, I know. Mark bought the block pre-machined and had it "checked out" by his girlfriend (now wifes) dad. But, if I am to blame for *everything* that's wrong....then that's on me too I guess.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

You seem to have skipped over the "arrogance" and "know it all" attitude comment.
    THAT is the only standard I hold you to....

its almost that time again Ricky Bobby's Avatar
    I would have helped by telling him take it in and not continue the build its only gonna screw u in the end. Friend or not I would have walked since I wouldn't have wanted my name anywhere near it. Help here was convincing him to take it in and not touching a wrench and not building a stroker motor out of a "book".

Oil Leak, carb tune, etc....

Purely because I enjoy engine failure analysis... Can we get pics of the rings and cylinder walls if any were taken?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Blog Entries
    You seem to have skipped over the "arrogance" and "know it all" attitude comment.
    THAT is the only standard I hold you to....
    Well, it's because you think these things of me, you therefore hold me to a higher standard, hoping to gloat if I fail, for real or not. Trust me, I get it...nor does it bug me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
    I would have helped by telling him take it in and not continue the build its only gonna screw u in the end. Friend or not I would have walked since I wouldn't have wanted my name anywhere near it. Help here was convincing him to take it in and not touching a wrench and not building a stroker motor out of a "book".
    Hindsight being perfect, yep...should have been what I should have done. He didn't know better, and I should have.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 02-11-2013 at 05:20 PM.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Well, it's because you think these things of me, you therefore hold me to a higher standard, hoping to gloat if I fail, for real or not. Trust me, I get it...nor does it bug me.
    Well, that is the arrogant way of looking at it, but it couldn't be farther from the truth.
    The truth is that I do not hold you to a high standard. I think that you are arrogant, you believe that you "know it all" because you give text book answers to everything to feed your need for attention, acceptance and self worth, and I find pleasure in the fact that I am correct in my thoughts.
    Thank you for confirming this.

Blog Entries
    I think that you are arrogant, you believe that you "know it all" because you give text book answers to everything to feed your need for attention, acceptance and self worth, and I find pleasure in the fact that I am correct in my thoughts.
    In my personal defense (not to you though) I am tired of the tripe I "think I know it all"; believe me, anyone who knows me knows that's far from true. There is a lot I certainly do know...and I also willingly share that there is a lot I don't know. Hell, the biggest part of my job is ensure that the things I don't know is accounted for and covered.

As far as what *you* think of some random dude that you don't know on the internets, I could care less. Think whatever you like
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Well this escalated quickly.

My father-in-law had nothing to do with the block, so don't bring him into this.

I've thanked you for the help tons of times and I still appreciate it since nobody else really wanted to help. Back then I thought you knew more about it all since you knew what I all needed and it seemed as though you knew what you were doing and continued to help me. I THOUGHT everything was right because I've never built one before and you seemed to know what you were doing. I remember a couple times when you said you weren't sure on some things but then you looked it up and we did it that way.

When it comes down to it, it's my fault for trying to build it myself. I'm not blaming you for everything but you could have easily said that you were over your head and to just take it somewhere instead of continuing to help. Overall it's just a shitty situation.

I really don't know what to think at this point and honestly I just want my engine the way it was meant to be for once.
    Last edited by Korndogg; 02-15-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    1968 Camaro 383

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar

This is frustrating to read.

One side:

I think it's the intent of this board that we all help each other where we can. Chris' personality and or like/dislike or his character aside - he tried to help and that's more than what I, personally, could have done regarding the construction of a motor.

But:

I also understand the frustration of (literally) disastrous help, fault aside. We've all tried to do things on a budget or put our own sweat into a car and this time it ended up not being worth it.

Either way it'll be nice when Mark's car makes some great power.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    If that motor made 300whp hurt and running like shit it is gonna be a monster when it's put back together correctly. Mark is a good guy. Looking forward the 2nd go-round of his 383. Better watch out tho Mark, Jim might try and paint a big inch Ford motor Chevy orange
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    My father-in-law had nothing to do with the block, so don't bring him into this.
    Sorry, My mistake. I just recalled that you had him do some measurements related to the stuff you had, block included. If I misremembered, my bad. That said, I had nothing to do with studs in the block...and Jim, every block of mine that has had studs installed has been aligned honed

But there were plenty of times I said I didn't know and suggested help (even specifically mentioning to pay ron for help with the valvetrain)...left with none, I felt obligated to give it my best shot. My mistake...though I thought we got it right. This is also why I would read it, you would read it, then we'd do it. I don't want it to seem as if I was pulling anything out of thin air.

Though I am still confused on the rod bearing alignment, since I recall being meticulous every step of the way and I'm fairly certain I was there for all 8 cylinders, and that was one thing we paid close attention to.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 02-11-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar

Yeah... I'm interested/excited to see what his motor puts down in a few months.