Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSDude View Post
    Bad wire or plug you'd have a noticeable miss.
    Correct. The air-fuel actually looks pretty good. Hmm. The plugs suggest a little lean however tho that could be from cruise. Perhaps that's a bit lean. The plug wires in good shape? No cuts or anything in them specifically the wire for that cylinder? What about the cap?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Wires are fine. I'll take another look tomorrow. I didn't look at anything with the ignition yet. I did my compression test and was done for the day. I understand the one plug possibly being an issue but wtf is with all of the black smoke if the afr looks fine?

For the record, I have and MSD HEI distributor with a 6al box.
    1968 Camaro 383

Another thing is, if my compression test turned out fine, I shouldn't really have crankcase pressure, especially with my two breathers correct? So how was oil spraying out of my old valve covers and my dipstick popping up?
    1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    So how was oil spraying out of my old valve covers and my dipstick popping up?
    It magically turns into a 4g63 when you close the hood?
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another thing is, if my compression test turned out fine, I shouldn't really have crankcase pressure, especially with my two breathers correct? So how was oil spraying out of my old valve covers and my dipstick popping up?
    Because racecar.

You DO have high crankcase pressure...there really is no doubt on that. It's VERY possible to have good compression test results and crummy leakdown results. Tom has talked many times about this occurrence.

BUT the compression test was VERY instructive here...surprised with the results actually. Essentially that is a very stout bottom end. More cylinder pressure than I would have expected with those large chambered heads...but that's good, it says the basic parts are there to work very well imo.

If you've got access to the leakdown tester, try running that. If you're seeing 25-30 percent or more, then be plan on redoing it. If you don't, try a PCV valve routed to the rear vacuum port on your carb...the vacuum will actually help end the leaking valve covers/blowing of dipstick.

With the fairly high stall TC and decent gears you've got in that light car, maybe ask around if it's feasible to do a mechanical carb...much better throttle response. Fuel mileage and low rpm cruising w/ the OD trans is no longer a concern anymore as it was when specifying the carb, so why not go with the one that could give you the best power? Like I said...ask around. If you had a 4500rpm stall TC, 4.10 gears in a light little nova, I'd say do it, no doubt. But you're definitely closer to still wanting a vacuum secondary...but I don't think it's beyond the scope of plausibility to suggest you could probably do a mechanical secondary either...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    Just rip the fucking motor out and get it fixed already. There problem solved.
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

1968 Camaro 383

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    LOL I am not mad. Burn the fucker to the ground. That is what old camaros are good for. Bwaahhhhhh
    2009 Infiniti G37x

You're drunk aren't you.....lol
    1968 Camaro 383

You're drunk aren't you.....lol
    LOL Surprisingly not at all. Actually at work fixing some laptops.
    2009 Infiniti G37x

Well then just fuck you then....hahaha
    1968 Camaro 383

Oil Leak, carb tune, etc....

Some engines do pour black smoke at wot though the afr says otherwise. Not sure why that happens, could be two of the same kinda vehicles, one will do it, other not so much. Sounds like the lack of power made too is being over looked?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    I haven't forgotten that point either Tommy. This thing is waaaay down on power. That one plug is either not firing or intermittently firing...which would contribute to the lack of hp obviously. Miss mistaken for lumpy cam perhaps lol
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Agree with Prince, you obviously have blow by. Leak down test will confirm. Probably some sort of issue like bad rings with whatever cylinder had the wet looking plug in it. Really nothing else will make your dipstick blow out, not to mention the oil leaks, smoke, other symptoms.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Well I guess I'll start tearing it down tonight if I have time. Otherwise this week for sure. I'll probably have a ton more questions since this is only the second time I've done this lol.

Where should I take the block and what should I have done to it?

Also Tom, I didn't forget about the lack of power, I just thought maybe it would have been carb related. This thing idles with black smoke. Either way though, I'm getting a new carb no matter what I do.
    1968 Camaro 383

Just for fun. Lets come up with some (reasonable) ideas that I could do while I have this thing apart. For instance, I thought about lowering the compression and eventually throwing a supercharger on it. I'm getting rid of the Eddy carb no matter what.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up changing stuff up.

Here's what I have now.

383 stroker

10.5 compression

Lunati Cam - Duration - 276/284, Lift - .504/.525

AFR 195 Street heads 74cc

Edelbrock 750

1.5 Comp Gold rockers

Ohio Crankshaft 4340 3.75" crank

6" H-beam rods

SRP flat top pistons.
    1968 Camaro 383

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Still say do the leakdown...don't rebuild unless you get over 20% leakdown on one of the cylinders. Nothing hurt by seeing what you've got.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Blog Entries
    Just for fun. Lets come up with some (reasonable) ideas that I could do while I have this thing apart.
    As for the "for fun" ideas, I'd consider getting a bigger cam.

Let's not forget, the cam selected was supposed to work with a vehicle utilizing a lower stall torque converter and a 2.39:1 final drive ratio (0.7:1 of the OD trans w/ 3.42 rear). The carb was too (eddy's in general have far better tuneability for part/low throttle settings)...and since you now have a decent stall T/C and three speed non-od trans, might as well loose the remnants of your current engine that were specified for those narrow objectives. Bigger cam, more serious carb...though either way, it may be wise to consider going to a deeper rear end in the future...3.90+ gears would work best.

But even with the 3.42's and the loose T/C, you should be able to be pretty happy with something in the 240-244 range duration @ .050, sticking with a HYD flat-tappet cam. Keeping the LSA narrow too around 108-110, no more...
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

LS swap.

Tehe.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    LS swap.

Tehe.

I have been trying to get him to do this.
    2009 Infiniti G37x