Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    LS swap.

Tehe.
    Best idea might as well get a t56 at the same time
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar

Oil Leak, carb tune, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by wagonbacker9 View Post
    ls swap.

Tehe.
    x2

Just get it over with already.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    kind of think he was looking for cheap, lol
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    It doesn't need an ls motor. That's giving up. He just needs to fix what's wrong and his 383 should run great and make a ton of hp with those heads etc
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    I was actually thinking about putting a bigger cam in it. I was also thinking about having someone do a custom grind.

I'm going to do a lead down as soon as I get a compressor at my house. I'm going to hopefully borrow my dad's tomorrow.
    Last edited by Korndogg; 01-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    1968 Camaro 383

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

Doing an engine swap is not cheap but would be very cool.

Cammed LQ4 (with a/c ) T-56, 4.10 gears.

That would be fun annnnnd you'd have a different (newer) platform to build from!

I wonder what it would cost you if you went the budget route?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    I'm going to do a lead down as soon as I get a compressor at my house.
    Probably could reasonably cheaply get your current cam reground....150-300 bucks usually. Feed an old hand cam grinder your current specs and he'll probably come up with a good set of specs for you. You'd need to buy a new set of lifters too (70-100 bucks) to go with the cost.

But there are plenty of off-the shelf cam AND lifter kits that will also get you what you want for 200 shipped to your door.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Yeah.. just ideas lol.
    1968 Camaro 383

Blog Entries
    And of course, another option is just getting the blow-by issue fixed as cheaply/easily as possible and get it back together....get a new carb and see where you're at. You can always re-do the cam at a later date, and it saves the hassle of rebreaking in the cam when you start her up for the first time. Less hassle NOW and less worries. Then getting the cam you want in the future....
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

I just figured since I was taking everything apart anyway, I would upgrade it a bit.
    1968 Camaro 383

Blog Entries
    Where should I take the block and what should I have done to it?
    Go to a couple places and tell them what's going on...swing by C&S and others, tell them you're looking what to do on a budget, how few miles, etc and get a couple quotes. The issue to focus on will be the blow-by (leaky valve covers, dipstick)...they won't give a rat's ass about the black smoke, and if you focus too much on that, they'll tell you its a tuning issue.

The cheapest way out is disassemble, have it honed, and then reassemble yourself. But the BETTER, and typically not terribly too much more would be take it to them for disassembly, honing, and reassembly. Probably save yourself a few bucks by just taking the short block to them and having them reassemble the short block too. If you reuse the cam, probably save a few bucks right there...don't forget, you'll probably pick up a good bit of power just by dealing with the blow-by issue and new carb.

Even though it may be cheaper do do as much yourself, you'll probably come out ahead by having a pro in a clean room assemble it. That's what I did for my short-block, had them degree the cam too...turned out great.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 01-27-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Blog Entries
    Another possibility is to enroll in a class at MATC.

Friend of mine does this seemingly every year. Class doesn't cost a lot, you get to use the latest machining equipment, have a pro help out, etc. The only downside is that it takes a while because it's one night a week. But you bench start it, etc, and it'll be ready to get back in the car by early May.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Another possibility is to enroll in a class at MATC.

Friend of mine does this seemingly every year. Class doesn't cost a lot, you get to use the latest machining equipment, have a pro help out, etc. The only downside is that it takes a while because it's one night a week. But you bench start it, etc, and it'll be ready to get back in the car by early May.
    Pshh who has time for all that crap?
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

Quote Originally Posted by Josepy View Post
    Pshh who has time for all that crap?
    Wait...isn't that how everybody pulls their motor?? No wonder it kept costing me so much.

"LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT"

'95 Rio Red Cobra 347 stroked SOLD!!
    '73 Mach 1 351 2v mostly stock
    '07 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200XLN SOLD!!
    '06 GMC Envoy (wifes DD)
    '03 Ford F150 XLT FX4 (DD)

Blog Entries
    Get the heads off yet? What did you see?
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Im not taking the heads off. Jim is.
    1968 Camaro 383

Engine was fucked from the beginning. I'm lucky shit didn't break from the start. I'll let Jim explain more if he feels he wants to. I could have had a supercharged/turbo motor with all the money I'm putting back into this thing. Should have just did it right from the start and had someone that knew what the fuck they were doing build the engine.

I'm trying to be really fucking calm right now so I'm just going to try to forget about it for the weekend and go get drunk.
    1968 Camaro 383

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar

Engine was fucked from the beginning. I'm lucky shit didn't break from the start. I'll let Jim explain more if he feels he wants to. I could have had a supercharged/turbo motor with all the money I'm putting back into this thing. Should have just did it right from the start and had someone that knew what the fuck they were doing build the engine.

I'm trying to be really fucking calm right now so I'm just going to try to forget about it for the weekend and go get drunk.
    Who built it originally? Who is going to build it for you now?

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    WOW. This is going to get good.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Re: Oil Leak, carb tune, etc....

[QUOTE=Josepy;747355]Pshh who has time for all that crap??

Guy at work tried removing a tailgate that way at work. Or maybe he was trying to remove the crane from the ceiling, I'm not sure; but it didn't go well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2