Went to the range for the first time today

Never fired a gun before in my life(I am 23). I purchased a new Springfield Armory XD 9mm last week. Went to the range today. :hp:

Put 150 rounds through my new xd. Also put 16 rounds through my friends glock(which I didn't like nearly as much as my xd. And not even because it is my gun. The glock felt shitty in my hand)

Here is one of my papers. They say most times when you will need your firearm your target will be 15ft away. All the head shots are 2 magazines(16 rounds each) at 30ft. The very bottom right shot was when I had one round left. Chambered it and sent it back to 75 ft aiming for the bottom target. Hit the target and was damn happy with that. Obviously not the tightest grouping in the world but for never having shot a gun before in my life I am happy as hell with it. Only gets better from here.

My new pistol

Opinions preez
    2000 Dodge Neon...Low and Slow
    2010 Dodge Caliber...Daily/Winter
    1994 Honda CBR600F2...Go Fast toy

Nice shootin!

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Great shooting Dan, better then my first time
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    You shot him in the ear!
    Not bad at all for your first time.

Was anybody shooting that target next to you? There was one hanging in just about the same spot when I went friday and nobody was in that lane...lol.
    I figured either the motor burnt out or somebody had the shits.

In that lane it was an indian couple that were renting and were more scared of the gun than they were using it haha.

My buddy was in the other lane next to mine. We did a little contest. He used his Reuger. 16 rounds at about 40 yards. All middle target. Tightest grouping wins. I killed him.

I shot his glock. And the grouping was about the same but not as tight. Plus a little to the left.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    I remember my first gun

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

Looks great!
    I was there yesterday with my (CCW) Kahr CW9 and my results were similar. (not my first time though. LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    I remember my first gun
    Still own mine...

Good shooting for a greenhorn! Hell not bad compared to some experienced shooters I know...

Thanks guys. Any hints on how to keep a tighter grouping? I know practice is the answer but does anyone see anything that could definitely be a problem? I Plan on getting out there at least once every 2 weeks.

I think it's safe to say he's dead.
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

nice job...I've had my XDm 45 for a while but haven't had a chance to go to the range...I've shot M16s and such just never a handgun. Should be fun lol

Vintage Racer
    Honestly practice is all you can do, focus on your fundamentals. Biggest thing I've found for shooting handguns has been trigger squeeze and proper grip. Proper grip helps a lot but I would argue trigger squeeze is more important, you can have a great grip but if you jerk the trigger you'll throw your shots every time.

Great shooting though! My first time at the range wasnt that good, then again my rear sight almost fell off (damn Taurus didnt send the proper sized allen wrench to tighten it down)
    Beater: 96 Dodge 1500 5.9 4x4 trans fixed!!
    Toys: 70 Saab 99 GT3/GTU, 54 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

It doesn't look like you're doing any one thing in particular (i.e. you're not consistantly shooting left, right, very high or very low) so the only real thing you can do is practice. Remember to focus on the front sight- not the target. Keep a firm grip and squeeze the trigger with a consistant force, it should "surprise" you when it shoots (i.e. don't "expect" recoil and try to compensate for it).

Once you get the feel for it try doing the same 30ft target with both eyes open. If your in a home defense situation like you mentioned with the 15ft your not going to close your eye to aim, your just going to bring your hand up and let it rip.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    I remember my first gun
    I still own mine. Sitting on my coffee table at the moment. Good shooting! I'm hoping to get some trigger time this weekend and take the girlfriend shooting. She's never shot a pistol so this should be interesting.

The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar
    Nice grouping!!! Glad to see your enjoying the new firearm
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

Post whore
    Damn good for a first timer.