Thread: Helicopters

Helicopters

So it all started when my stepson got a Syma S107 RC helipoter for Christmas. I was instantly hooked with these things. There small, cheep and easy to fly. After a week I ended up buying a second one so that we could fly them together. Since then I decided to step it up and get a Arrow Missle Hawk which is bigger, but is esentially the same design, but it also has missle launchers on the sides (small spring loaded, soft tip missles) In the near future I plan on mounting a small Airsoft gun to the bottom of it to give it a little more punch.

Anyone else here hooked on RC helicopters?
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

completely agree! I got a phantom 2 rc copter from brookstone then my daughter got an air hog heli cage copter. Both are completely addictive! every chance I get, I am messing around with either of these or my old air hogs bi-plane.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    i got them two christmas' ago from my dad. he always buys some toys like that so we have something to play with since us kids aren't really young anymore.

you know you can mod those things too right? That s107, if its what i'm thinking of, then you gotta take the front body piece off and make sure the battery is placed properly and seated all the way down. Then take the weights out of the counterweight shafts that spin with the blades. Then add the "bonus" tail rotor to the existing one in the shape of an X on the back motor. Then tape a paperclip or two to the front nose to make the nose a little heavier. Only takes enough weight that when you try and move the helicopter backwards, it very slowly goes instead of equally as fast as going forward. At this point, the fucking thing will FLY!!

Yeah, I broke one of them the first week we had it, when I took it apart to replace the main shaft I took the rear stabilizer fin off, moved the battery, put more weight in the nose... haven't taken the weights out of the balance bar yet, have to try that. But it flies way faster than the stock one.

Between christmas and new years I brought the one into the office and let a couple other people try it, now we have about 5 or 6 people here that have helicopters. Lunch time and friday afternoons get a little crazy, lol.
    Kevin

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    haha, sounds awesome. I actually replaced the side metal pieces that house the gears and motor with flat pieces of the lexan from the clear part that holds it in the box. that ended up not working too well since you need it perfectly matching otherwise it doesn't fly. But yeah, remove that plastic tail piece, I trimmed the landing bar pieces right at the angle. So much fun like you said!

never played with the smaller Helicopters. My smallest one was a Raptor 30. And was saving up for a Xcell 60 before I was layed off. It was just so damn expensive. Had about 3000 in the setup. Crashed once and sold it all.

3 seconds of mistake = $300 repair.

http://www.thundertiger.com/product/4839-F.html

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    completely agree! I got a phantom 2 rc copter from brookstone then my daughter got an air hog heli cage copter. Both are completely addictive! every chance I get, I am messing around with either of these or my old air hogs bi-plane.
    I loved those Airhog bi-planes!! I wish they still sold them.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I started looking at the big ones, just way to much money for a toy. These little guys are great, $30 on ebay, and parts are cheap. My kid flies it into walls and stuff all the time and it holds up pretty good. Even if he breaks it parts are dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
    never played with the smaller Helicopters. My smallest one was a Raptor 30. And was saving up for a Xcell 60 before I was layed off. It was just so damn expensive. Had about 3000 in the setup. Crashed once and sold it all.

3 seconds of mistake = $300 repair.

http://www.thundertiger.com/product/4839-F.html
    Kevin

I'd love to get a helicopter, something good but easy enough to fly. I'd really like a Chinook lol