┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar

A not so cool noise.

On my truck (99 silverado 1500) after about an hour or so of driving a weird rubbing noise starts and gets really bad. It almost sounds like two pieces of metal touching but it's not a grinding it's more of a "whirling" noise. I'm thinking it might be a hub but it doesn't change pitch when I turn left or right.

It also comes and goes, it isn't steady.

I know its not the best description but any ideas?
    1968 Camaro 383

my first suspects would bearings or possibly a race spinning in its housing...come under load? unload? off the gas? on the gas? front of vehicle? rear of vehicle?

Sorry yeah its the front. It really doesn't matter if it is under load or not, it just starts all of a sudden. It's like it heats up or something and does it since it takes an hour to happen usually.
    1968 Camaro 383

but it is a rotational noise that varies with wheel speed and not engine rpm? points toward the front diff... even though 4wd isn't engaged the cv axles still spin in the diff housing and one actually drives the spider gears in the differential itself...lots of possible metal to metal contact under heat....check your fluid level first, then the color, and the smell...burnt gear lube smells even more accrid than regular....

Yeah I was worried about that. Honestly if this is anything that is going to be too expensive I'm going to sell the truck and get something else. I'm due for a new vehicle lol.
    1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by WickedSix View Post
    .burnt gear lube smells even more accrid than regular....
    no, just a different flavor of "the most awful smelling shit in the universe".

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    Yeah I was worried about that. Honestly if this is anything that is going to be too expensive I'm going to sell the truck and get something else. I'm due for a new vehicle lol.
    Hah... I wish. Thats almost as good as my friend who trades in so he doesn't have to buy new tires.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-10-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Sounds like a hub to me, my old S10 started doing that here and there after long trips, right before the front hub started grinding.

The first time I heard it I thought it was a tornado siren, I pulled over stopped, it went away and I thought wow, that was an odd time to do a siren test, lol. Mine would always go away after stopping for a min, but like I said it wasn't long after that when the front hub started grinding pretty bad.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

LOL yeah it does kind of sound like a siren. It's just weird to me that it does it only after like 45min to an hour and then when i stop for a while and drive again it takes that long again. Never heard anything like it before.
    1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    no, just a different flavor of "the most awful smelling shit in the universe".
    Incorrect, as noted on the bottles...GM synthetic gear lube has "new grape scent"
    GM World Class Certified Technician

A buddy of mine did a diff fluid change in my garage 2 weeks ago, and it STILL stinks in there.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car