Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    What did they put a six lug 14 bolt in?
    Some of the OBS 3/4 trucks and vans (what rhyme or reason vs the 8 bolt semi? no idea.. looks like most or all gear ratios were available with either hub). Vans are the same width as 4x4 trucks, but spring perches are different width, 4x2 trucks the axle itself is 3" skinnier (as long as you're swapping from 4x4 or 4x2 to the same, the width is the same between 10 and 14 bolt). From the research I did, the only differences (provided you have the 11" drums on your 10 bolt, 10" is an option as well on the 10 bolt) is the u-joint size.. and local auto parts stores stock the conversion joint from 1330 to 1350...

However, the guy I was going to buy the 14 bolt from wants to keep it with the front diff (for $400, not a bad price), but hes also got a 10 bolt locker in the ratio I need for $150. So... $150 to have my truck back running it will be. Upgrades maybe some day?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    din't 3/4 ton of that era suburans have IFS?[/curious]

My truck is essentially a 3/4 ton 2 door suburban (even has the bumper cutouts), with 1/2 ton axles and springs.

So... yes.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-05-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Isn't springs and axles what the difference between half and three quarter ton trucks? this is all so very confusing.

Isn't springs and axles what the difference between half and three quarter ton trucks? this is all so very confusing.
    The majority of it, yeah. But its got a 4l80e under it too (as discussed in another thread). I haven't done any research what so ever on the t-case... From the research I did the front suspensions between half tons and 3/4 tons have nothing in common.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    The majority of it, yeah. But its got a 4l80e under it too (as discussed in another thread). I haven't done any research what so ever on the t-case... From the research I did the front suspensions between half tons and 3/4 tons have nothing in common.

So it's got half ton springs and axles, but it's a 3/4 ton? IDK much about this stuff, i'm just trying to figure it all out.

So it's got half ton springs and axles, but it's a 3/4 ton? IDK much about this stuff, i'm just trying to figure it all out.
    No, its a half ton, It just got the 4L80e because it has the 6.5l. I assume it also go the bumper with the cutouts (shared with the bigger OBS trucks) because the cooling system is weak, to say the least.

My point was only that the interchange for the rear ends with the 3/4 tons (6 bolt) is as simple as a conversion joint because everything was built with common dimensions.

Alternatively, the 10 bolt yoke will bolt to the 14 bolt, but... why?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

No, its a half ton, It just got the 4L80e because it has the 6.5l. I assume it also go the bumper with the cutouts (shared with the bigger OBS trucks) because the cooling system is weak, to say the least.

My point was only that the interchange for the rear ends with the 3/4 tons (6 bolt) is as simple as a conversion joint because everything was built with common dimensions.

Alternatively, the 10 bolt yoke will bolt to the 14 bolt, but... why?
    It's got a bumper from an old style truck on it? Like the old square trucks?

Is your truck and old Army Blazer?

It's got a bumper from an old style truck on it? Like the old square trucks?
    This is still the 89-99 style... not sure what you're referring to.. the bumper difference is that mine has the holes in the bumper like the higher rated trucks. The 1500's without the 6.5 do not. See pic below:

Is your truck and old Army Blazer?
    No. Civilian truck, just with the 6.5 in it. Standard production, they just didn't make too many of them with the 6.5 (plus when they went to IFS they basically didn't appeal to the K5's target market anymore)
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

I thought the bumper holes were specific to the 6.5, even on half tons. I remember as a kid when I would see the bumper holes I'd say, "there's a 6.5TD". I know big block 25-35 k trucks trucks had a conventional bumper with no airdam.

I guess one could say these half ton diesels were the early "1500HD" models like was offered in the GMT 800's.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

This is still the 89-99 style... not sure what you're referring to.. the bumper difference is that mine has the holes in the bumper like the higher rated trucks. The 1500's without the 6.5 do not. See pic below:

No. Civilian truck, just with the 6.5 in it. Standard production, they just didn't make too many of them with the 6.5 (plus when they went to IFS they basically didn't appeal to the K5's target market anymore)
    But it's a 3/4 ton blazer? with half ton axles and springs?

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    I thought the bumper holes were specific to the 6.5, even on half tons. I remember as a kid when I would see the bumper holes I'd say, "there's a 6.5TD". I know big block 25-35 k trucks trucks had a conventional bumper with no airdam.

I guess one could say these half ton diesels were the early "1500HD" models like was offered in the GMT 800's.
    That could be, and would actually make more sense (with the cooling issues they have). I never really paid attention to OBS 3/4 or 1 tons intricacies until this truck started prompting me to borrow parts from them. lol

But it's a 3/4 ton blazer? with half ton axles and springs?
    Like he said, calling it a 1500HD is probably the most accurate description, but no, it is (at least officially) just a 1500 blazer with a diesel in it. I was speaking to a functional level, not the label/badge. To my knowledge there has never been a 3/4 ton 2 door SUV (blazer/yukon/tahoe) on the GMT400 platform. The fact that it was never a factory option on the platform but still bolts in was part of why I wanted to do it.

Here is the best thread I found for anyone working on an OBS/NBS and considering doing some basic upgrades.
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-06-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    You have a 1/2 ton vehicle with a 6.5TD and a 4L80e in it. There is nothing 3/4 ton about it other than it has torsion bars and keys to hold up the engine. It's not even a high GVW vehicle like the 14SF GMT400 half ton pickups (7600lbs GVW maybe? I forget.) It's a far cry from the GMT800 1500HDs with their beefier suspension and 8 lug 14SF. The 1500HDs were basically a wimpy front end 2500LD with a shorty box.

The 14SF is larger than the 10 bolt. I believe it's around 2" longer from tube centerline to trunnion centerline. So, unless you're going to lift it, it will likely need the driveshaft shortened. The distance from the tube centerline to the top of the spring plate will change (resulting in a lifted vehicle). You have to get new spring plates and U-bolts also. Keep the S44 joint and don't run a bastard joint. Most of the time GM used S44 on a 14SF unless it was a manual transmission (then they usually used a 1350). Don't forget to pay attention to spring perch location and shock mount location.

It's easy to swap, but not as easy as you think it is. I have at least one of every GM truck axle sitting around except for a disc brake 7.625, a large pinion 10 bolt (showed up with the 2007+ AWDs), and a 11.5". I may not have an 80s G/P series 14SF van axle anymore but who cares about 5 on 5 crap anyway?

The 8.5" 30 spline 10 bolt is a fine axle. It usually only breaks when it has a grenade-lock in it or when people do one wheel peels on gravel then hit concrete or asphalt. The GMT800 style fixed a lot of shortcomings including larger side gears and a beefed carrier. The 2007+ ones that showed up with the AWD Denalis and Escalades got a larger pinion bearing.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    You have a 1/2 ton vehicle with a 6.5TD and a 4L80e in it. There is nothing 3/4 ton about it other than it has torsion bars and keys to hold up the engine. It's not even a high GVW vehicle like the 14SF GMT400 half ton pickups (7600lbs GVW maybe? I forget.) It's a far cry from the GMT800 1500HDs with their beefier suspension and 8 lug 14SF. The 1500HDs were basically a wimpy front end 2500LD with a shorty box.

The 14SF is larger than the 10 bolt. I believe it's around 2" longer from tube centerline to trunnion centerline. So, unless you're going to lift it, it will likely need the driveshaft shortened. The distance from the tube centerline to the top of the spring plate will change (resulting in a lifted vehicle). You have to get new spring plates and U-bolts also. Keep the S44 joint and don't run a bastard joint. Most of the time GM used S44 on a 14SF unless it was a manual transmission (then they usually used a 1350). Don't forget to pay attention to spring perch location and shock mount location.

It's easy to swap, but not as easy as you think it is. I have at least one of every GM truck axle sitting around except for a disc brake 7.625, a large pinion 10 bolt (showed up with the 2007+ AWDs), and a 11.5". I may not have an 80s G/P series 14SF van axle anymore but who cares about 5 on 5 crap anyway?

The 8.5" 30 spline 10 bolt is a fine axle. It usually only breaks when it has a grenade-lock in it or when people do one wheel peels on gravel then hit concrete or asphalt. The GMT800 style fixed a lot of shortcomings including larger side gears and a beefed carrier. The 2007+ ones that showed up with the AWD Denalis and Escalades got a larger pinion bearing.
    I was planning on putting a 2" block in it because I'm in for U-bolts anyway. All good info though. I still kind wish I hadn't found the 10 bolt for so cheap... but I can always upgrade when I'm not depending on it for daily driver duties.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

If your still thinking about doing this I have the stock 14 bolt out of my plow truck, a 99 chevy pickup, same body style as your blazer. It has an open diff and 4.10 gears, huge drum brakes, 8 lug... Make me a fair offer and its yours.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87 View Post
    If your still thinking about doing this I have the stock 14 bolt out of my plow truck, a 99 chevy pickup, same body style as your blazer. It has an open diff and 4.10 gears, huge drum brakes, 8 lug... Make me a fair offer and its yours.
    wrong gears, wrong lug... thanks, but I'm married to my wheels and tires for the moment. I could go to 4.10 (stepping up to a 285/75/16 tire so it'd almost be a wash), but I don't want to be without 4wd, and I REALLY don't want to screw with doing the front right now.

I'll get ahold of you if this truck ends up staying with me longer than I think and I start considering a SAS. I believe there is a ford dana 44 that makes a nice front axle for this thing. (no research done other than watching the powerblock episode on it lol)
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-06-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

I took a floater today.

I took a floater today.
    Win.

Here are the tires I was picking up when the rear end popped. Got the fronts mounted in optimistic hopes that tomorrow around now, she'll be back in operational form. Notes to self: 1) 4x4 unlocks when the vehicle is shut off, didn't know that til now. Luckily it appears this type doesn't require the wheels to tur in order to engage 2) It didn't leak out of the back of the tcase until I moved it (had to back it up to move the wheel chock)... which I find odd because it is parked with the nose pointed down hill, and I don't think it leaked at all last time I moved it. 3) my duct tape cap on the back of the t-case didn't do SHIT. lol

2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Nice. What size? My truck needs tires, bad. Needs a lot actually; but tires are second on the list. Gonna look for some used rugs until I can sock away loot for wheels and 305's. It needs springs, so I may just lift it and go with 35's. But I don't wanna lose too much towing/hauling ability lifting it, so I may not. I'm unsure of many things at this point.

Nice. What size? My truck needs tires, bad. Needs a lot actually; but tires are second on the list. Gonna look for some used rugs until I can sock away loot for wheels and 305's. It needs springs, so I may just lift it and go with 35's. But I don't wanna lose too much towing/hauling ability lifting it, so I may not. I'm unsure of many things at this point.
    lolz. I wanted to do 305/70's but I found this set of M/T's for $200. With the side biters, they look a lot bigger than 285 IMO, especially compared to the rear tire pictured which is a 265/75/18. And technically its more like $350 if you count the axle I blew in the process of getting em. And I paid 140 for the wheels, and spent probably 3 hours refurbishing them.

wrong gears, wrong lug... thanks, but I'm married to my wheels and tires for the moment. I could go to 4.10 (stepping up to a 285/75/16 tire so it'd almost be a wash), but I don't want to be without 4wd, and I REALLY don't want to screw with doing the front right now.

I'll get ahold of you if this truck ends up staying with me longer than I think and I start considering a SAS. I believe there is a ford dana 44 that makes a nice front axle for this thing. (no research done other than watching the powerblock episode on it lol)
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-06-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

So, the guy I was going to but a 10 bolt from for $150 got plastered last night, and didn't feel like pulling the axle, so he sold me the 14 bolt he had (reported 75K on it) for $200. I'm super happy to report, the 14 bolt is in and running. I installed it with a 2" lift block and at near full droop, it looked like the pinion angle and slip yoke looked good. Did well on a test drive around the block. Truck has a bit of rake now, but I'll jack the torsion bars a bit to balance out some of that.

Had some minor complications which were fixable (broken brake line, frozen rotor, missing 1 u-bolt strap), only open issues are: the driver's side bleader broke off, so its unbled on that wheel and brakes are spongy, and I did not hook up the e-brakes.

That axle is one heavy bitch (I've read anywhere between 330 and 550. I can handle the 10 bolt on my own (those of you who've met me know I'm in the "lanky fucker" category). Getting the 14 bolt under it and bolted up with nothing but a pair of floor jacks (buddy with a trans jack showed up about 2 hours after it was bolted in) on my own was... a challenge.

New tires make for an interesting vibratory sensation at low speeds... so thats cool. lol
    Last edited by Wagonbacker9; 01-08-2012 at 10:10 PM.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car