S10 running problem

96 S-10 4.3L vin X 5 speed. New injector, new tune-up parts (cap, rotor, wires , plugs), newer fuel pump, new distributor with module. Compression is fine, fuel pressure runs around 50 (calls for 60-66) I ran a stand alone fuel supply bypassing the pump and ran it at 65 psi with no change. Scanner shows multiple cylinder misfires with 20000 plus on cylinders 1 through 3, nothing on 4 through 6. Cat is hollow so O/2 in the rear shows no activity. Truck has lack of power and misfires (popping noise) off idle and under load. Not consistent enough to be an engine noise. Thought maybe t-chain jumped but with little to no misfires on 3 cylinders...same thought with ign coil. Internal issue should show with compression unless maybe a worn cam? Maybe faulty cap? I dont know which way to look anymore...
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    2003 Duramax Dually Silverado 4x4
    1986 442

ignition module? bad hall effect sensor in distributor?

when did it last run right? miles? vacuum leaks?

Did you use a GM distributor cap? The Vortec 4.3, 5.0 5.7 and 7.4 are very picky about the distributors. A lot of the aftermarket ones that you get at auto zone are aluminum posts vs the GM brass posts. Also check the shaft play in the distributor, if you grab the rotor and can move it side to side its junk. If you need a new one look on ebay, there are companies selling the aluminum bodied distributors with the brass point caps for about $70 which is far less than the stocker and a ton better.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

I've had 4 of these, between s10's, Blazers etc. Twice I have had to return dist caps to Napa because they were made almost 1 position entirely off. Never sat clocked right, even when it looked on correctly. When I exchanged it, the part looked the same but was different when you look at the underside.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Tested compression or leakdown on the offending cylinders? Not that it has a bent/broken pushrod being a 5 spd and all... Maybe broken valve spring worst case? If all else checks yeah, the above statements about caps are good possibilties. Un-plug MAF sensor too and let it run in SD and see if that helps to smooth anything out. If it gets noticeably better, there is an airleak after the fact it doesnt like. How do the long term fuel trims look? Extreme + or -?
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 11-23-2011 at 10:30 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

God damn thing....put another new...and obviously better...cap and the damn thing runs great. Thanks everyone for the help and advice!
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    1986 442

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

^ the chevy shitcap strikes again. Glad it worked.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Me too! lol. Thanks for all the input.
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    1986 442

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87 View Post
    Did you use a GM distributor cap? The Vortec 4.3, 5.0 5.7 and 7.4 are very picky about the distributors. A lot of the aftermarket ones that you get at auto zone are aluminum posts vs the GM brass posts. Also check the shaft play in the distributor, if you grab the rotor and can move it side to side its junk. If you need a new one look on ebay, there are companies selling the aluminum bodied distributors with the brass point caps for about $70 which is far less than the stocker and a ton better.
    That's me
    -Nick Chandler