The T3/T4eclipse broke 2much:P BigSnailBuick's Avatar

Businesses and CCW

So today I went into Pat's Rib Place and was sad to see no guns allowed signs. Now I am quite a regular there and expressed my opinion on the matter. I told the owner that not only will business decline when more citizens begin to get their permits but how its just outright silly to make it a no guns establishment. Those that will negatively use their firearms are always going to have them regardless of a little sign, and have already had them. She expressed to me that she didnt want customers to be intimidated by people carrying guns into the place which is when I asked her what do you mean?

She along with many other business owners in the area think that someone with their permit is going to just have their guns hanging out for all to see like the wild wild west as she put it. I giggled a little bit and told her not only was that not the case but that 99.9% of ccw holders will never even display their firearm. Along with that their are laws (although oddly written) that can essentially get people in trouble for doing so. -Carry or display a facsimile firearm in a manner that could reasonably be expected to alarm, intimidate, threaten or terrify another person. Wis. Stat. § 941.2965. The way I read that is essentially open carrying, which im sure is how most of us read it.

Either or the fact remains, unless the person is one of those idiotic people in the .01% trying to prove some point by openly carrying, her and her customers will never know when someone has a weapon. This put her in a more relaxed state of mind about conceal carry and I was informed she will take the signs down. Score one for CCW! But I was also told that my next beef briscut dinner will be burned and dry if one of those .01% nuts shows up and messes up her day LOL So If you ever carry in Pat's PLEASE dont be a .01% nut :P
    Last edited by BigSnailBuick; 11-11-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    "Plus my rats come in packs like Sammy and Dean Martin, and I got soo many keys you'd think I was Valet parking"
    1987 Buick Regal Turbo T Limited- DBB 6766, ProEFI, E-85.
    2000 Audi S4- Nogaro Blue w/ matching interior! Chipped and a maintenance nightmare.

Logic doesn't work with them. You have to hit them where it hurts. Next time explain to her that by posting a no guns sign not only is she foregoing any protection from liability in the event of a customer being injured due to the use of a gun, she is taking on additional liability by denying a lawfully carrying customer the ability to protect themselves in such an event. Add to that the fact that her NO GUNS sign is advertising an unarmed and target rich environment to those people that don't give two shits about her little sign. BTW, open carry is still perfectly legal and does not require a permit. It's even easier to open carry now because you don't have to unload you gun before casing it in your vehicle.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Well the way the law is written if you as a business owner let firearms in your business and some one is shot they can not sue the owner. Now if it is posted and that happens the owner is open game for law suit. Go figure.

Sweet well come up the way to carquest and you can carry all you want!
    This is the reason i went ahead with wanting to put thru my ccw app. we have some fishy people come in here once and a while. for most of the day the way i'm am dressed would be open carry. But if i have a jecket or hoodie on i'll be concealing and without a permit be illegal. So in the event a wako tries to go off on me i'm sure having that extra bulge at my side will detur any sort of violence or at least i'll be able to do something about it.
    Last edited by lilws6; 11-12-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    Well the way the law is written if you as a business owner let firearms in your business and some one is shot they can not sue the owner. Now if it is posted and that happens the owner is open game for law suit. Go figure.
    That i find a little bassackward but this may be why we are able to carry in the store for the insurance reasoning. by the way when is it legal to conceal i thought there was a date or something or when i get the papers am i able to carry right away??

Nov 1.
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    That i find a little bassackward but this may be why we are able to carry in the store for the insurance reasoning. by the way when is it legal to conceal i thought there was a date or something or when i get the papers am i able to carry right away??
    When you get your permit , you are legal. Before then,No, in public anyway.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    It would seem backwards on the surface but if you think about it, the whole point behind carrying is for self protection. If a business allows a person to protect themselves through use of a gun it doesn't really make sense to hold the business liable should their legal use of a firearm inadvertently injure someone else. On the flip side if a business advertises that it only allows disarmed customers, it is making a decision to take away someones right to self defense and is taking on the responsibility for providing protection while you're on their property. If they fail to protect you, then they are liable.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

What sucks is that I can not per company policy carry on company property while on the clock. I can leave my fire arm in the car on lot
    while parked in the lot but not bring it inside or I will be fired. But Joe blow can come in armed and I can't defend myself I have to take cover if something happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot View Post
    What sucks is that I can not per company policy carry on company property while on the clock. I can leave my fire arm in the car on lot
    while parked in the lot but not bring it inside or I will be fired. But Joe blow can come in armed and I can't defend myself I have to take cover if something happens.
    You will probably be seeing companies firearm policies change in the future, specifically for the reasons fivonut posted previously.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Come work with me lol after I was explaining this to the gf I came to the same conclusion fivo just started it does make more sense

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigSnailBuick View Post
    So today I went into Pat's Rib Place and was sad to see no guns allowed signs. Now I am quite a regular there and expressed my opinion on the matter. I told the owner that not only will business decline when more citizens begin to get their permits but how its just outright silly to make it a no guns establishment. Those that will negatively use their firearms are always going to have them regardless of a little sign, and have already had them. She expressed to me that she didnt want customers to be intimidated by people carrying guns into the place which is when I asked her what do you mean?

She along with many other business owners in the area think that someone with their permit is going to just have their guns hanging out for all to see like the wild wild west as she put it. I giggled a little bit and told her not only was that not the case but that 99.9% of ccw holders will never even display their firearm. Along with that their are laws (although oddly written) that can essentially get people in trouble for doing so. -Carry or display a facsimile firearm in a manner that could reasonably be expected to alarm, intimidate, threaten or terrify another person. Wis. Stat. § 941.2965. The way I read that is essentially open carrying, which im sure is how most of us read it.

Either or the fact remains, unless the person is one of those idiotic people in the .01% trying to prove some point by openly carrying, her and her customers will never know when someone has a weapon. This put her in a more relaxed state of mind about conceal carry and I was informed she will take the signs down. Score one for CCW! But I was also told that my next beef briscut dinner will be burned and dry if one of those .01% nuts shows up and messes up her day LOL So If you ever carry in Pat's PLEASE dont be a .01% nut :P
    She's Opra Winfrey's sister. (seriously!)

I believe she is her niece.

Senior Member..now yer posting! bikedad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bikedad View Post
    She's Opra Winfrey's sister. (seriously!)
    Yes. I think you're correct. I was trying to remember what my wife said about her.
    The niece Pat(or whatever her name is) bought a house from friends of ours some years ago in Waukesha over by Lowell Elementary school.
    In 3 days they gutted,rebuilt,remodeled the entire house interior. Opra paid for the house and entire remodel job.
    I think the niece still lives there.