Thread: shotgun help

shotgun help

Ive been "using" this shot gun for two years now and the choke has been stuck since i've had it in my possesion. So this past two weeks i've been trying everything in my possible power to try and get this un stuck at home with no luck. i'm about ready to hand this off to a good gunsmith so before i do i need some opinions. 1. any one have any ideas how to get this thing out? And 2. anyone know a good local gunsmith i don't want to hand this off to gander if there gana f it up. i don't know of any decent places around here. thanks
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I assume you've tried penetrating oil, etc?
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

oh yea i soaked it in a can of pb and for a couple days it stripped some of the paint off of the barrel and ate my optic sight off. if it matters it is a stoeger p-350 pump gun. the stoegers are aparently known for crappy chokes.

Kroil and heat.

Type 07/02 FFL - Manufacturer and Dealer of Firearms, including NFA Firearms
    sales@reapertactical.com
    Serial number requests available for RT15 receivers!!
    7% discount for BCM members (one discount applies per item)

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

Quote Originally Posted by fivonut View Post
    Kroil and heat.
    If the bluing/paint is already fubared, the yeah, I don't really see a propane torch doing any more harm...
    2006 M6 QSM GTO SOLD
    1993 Chevy K2500 SOLD

2004 Chevy Tahoe - Kid Hauler
    1999 Camaro Z28 - Traded
    2008 G8 GT - 'Dad' car

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    If the bluing/paint is already fubared, the yeah, I don't really see a propane torch doing any more harm...
    Barrels can get pretty hot just firing them. As long as you're not heating it to cherry red you won't do any damage.

sales@reapertactical.com

"Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch."

i don't have a torch handy i've gotten this thing pretty warm already with my heat gun the problem being by the time the barrel gets warm so does the choke so i'm not doing anythign useful by heating it. If i had a propane torch handy i would def. try it one more time but i already broke the new wrench i bought. and bent the other regular tool i had. i even tried a wierd method i read about. heating the barrel and sticking a frozen carrot in the choke to try and shrink the choke didnt' work everything cooled off to fast maybe i'm not doing this quick enough?

Kroil and heat, as someone already stated. If that doesn't work no home method will and it's time for a gunsmith. I recommend Todd at Dynamic Firearms Solutions http://www.dynamicfirearmsolutions.com/ if you can't get it out yourself.

Propane would be the way to go. Don't worry about cooling the choke.

sales@reapertactical.com

any idea what this is gana cost to get this out? if its more than i was plannin on paying for the gun is it worth it it shoots just fine as is i just wanted to be able to get the choke out.

ok so i snagged a propane kit from work so i'll try heating this up with a torch and see where i get how do i know if i'm geting this too hot i don't want to mess the barrel up from too much heat. if i get it glowing rd i know thats too hot but i don't want to get it to that point. god i really just wish this thing wasn't stuck lol

You probably won't be able to get it cherry hot with propane. Heat it evenly for a minute or so.

sales@reapertactical.com

will do i'll have to see if i got time to try it today would be nice to see this thing just fall out but i know its wishful thinking

ok so ive torched this beast for a good amount of time any paint that was left on it is now gone stuff was bubbling out of the threads between the choke and barrel and its still stuck!! i'm going to soak it in penatrating oil again one more time and heat it again once and i'm done trying.

might be time to turn it over to a pro.

sales@reapertactical.com

can a new barrel be ordered?? after all this Im not sure I would want to shoot a round threw that one again
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

I'm un sure but I think the benelli had the same barrel ide hate to see the cost of a new one.