`05 Buick Terraza = POS......

I am looking for input regarding a clunk on my grandparents 44k mile `05 Buick Terraza (GM minivan) with the 3.5L. The clunk is very audible and appears to be coming from the passenger side of the dash/firewall when sitting inside. I also heard the clunk outside coming from the rear passenger engine bay area when rocking the passenger front wheel/tire back and forth in park. I was by myself and could not pinpoint anything beyond this. The clunk is often heard when the trans is placed in drive (sometimes reverse) and accelerating in drive (sometimes reverse). Also, the clunk can be heard when going over a medium to large bump in the road. My thought is an engine mount but would first like input from a knowledgeable GM person whether an engine mount is plausible and/or common failure with only 44k miles. Please post up if you have anything to offer, thanks!

P.S. The 'POS' in the title is a result of this van being nothing but since they purchased new. My grandparents (early 80s) are in serious failing health and do NOT need additional 'headaches' like this. This issue is one of many since the warranty expired and in addition to many issues covered under warranty as well, ugh.....
    Last edited by Car Guy; 10-31-2011 at 11:23 AM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not an expert, but engine mount or bad CV joint seem like they'd be among the most likely culprits...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

These vans also had some front frame/rad support spot welds that would create this exact situation by description. Body shops are probably most experienced with this and it's repair. Ultimately the torque when applying gears would tug on the strut tower and these aforementioned spot weld areas and create the clunk noise near the front of wheel well openings
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 10-30-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Not an expert, but engine mount or bad CV joint seem like they'd be among the most likely culprits...
    Good point Chris, I did not think of an axle....

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    These vans also had some front frame/rad support spot welds that would create this exact situation by description. Body shops are probably most experienced with this and it's repair. Ultimately the torque when applying gears would tug on the strut tower and these aforementioned spot weld areas and create the clunk noise near the front of wheel well openings
    Tom your description is perfectly in line with what I thought was noise in the strut tower. The main clunk is loud enough to where I could not determine if what I heard was accurate. Where can I find info about this? I searched online and came up with nothing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    Good point Chris, I did not think of an axle....

Tom your description is perfectly in line with what I thought was noise in the strut tower. The main clunk is loud enough to where I could not determine if what I heard was accurate. Where can I find info about this? I searched online and came up with nothing.....
    Heh not totally sure. This is info I got from a student that came thru one of my classes and was a trainer for GM during the mid 2000's and this was one of the stories he mentioned he was part of solving this issue. It didn't sound like it was a publicized thing but he did say he saw more than one. This was even in the atl ga area where corrosion is a non issue. Apparently there were 3 spot welds at some joint that may not have had good penetration and would sheer thus allowing movement and noise.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

I would say engine mount should be HYD filled did it leak out?
    Cradle mounts?
    Or maybe strut mount...
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

I did not see fluids of any kind.....

I do not know if colder weather is the reason but the clunk was a LOT louder last night. Also, the clunk is now more of a creaking sound. I hope to get an in depth look this weekend.....

Post whore
    I'd say a sway bar end link or a strut mount. Since you mentioned a creaking noise check the tie rod and ball joint as well.

4 months ago the sway bar end links and bushings were replaced.

sway links, strut mounts, control arm bushings all are among the most common and popular rattle clunk noises in late model gm cars/vans. also, and this can be a little more challenging without a drive on rack, sway bar bushings can make noise. A lot of times they will be quiet on a regular lift with the suspension unloaded, but all kinds of noisy when the suspension is loaded (like on a drive-on rack) when you said the bushings were replaced, did you mean the sway bar bushings or the control arm bushings?
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89 View Post
    I would say engine mount should be HYD filled did it leak out?
    Cradle mounts?
    Or maybe strut mount...
    Metal and rubber, no fluid.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bushing fail with "only" 44k miles as this vehicle is already 6-7 years old. Think about how many bumps it has hit in those 2190-2555 days before you call it a POS and realize that people like me wouldn't be able to support our families if cars didn't eventually fail.

i totally agree with benn they are common to have bushings fail and links. i'de check the control arms usually on a drive on rack like saying you can load the tires with the brakes and see if it moves or clunks makes it easier to pinpoint.
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Ever find your POS noise?

Post whore
    ^ Hahaha!

It's a GM so any type of noises are normal. It's called build quality.

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

Dodge had a problem like that on the SRT4's when I had one, the control arm bushings would oval out from the torque and cause a knock over bumps, on accel and sharp decel, and it would creak if eased over a speedbump etc. Replaced the bushings and it was good to go.

maybe its something similar.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e