Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waver View Post
    I am sure Jim can do it just as fast as you, however where did he say that he is going to be helping his kids friend do anything to the car? A kid with minimal mechanical experience should first be doing basic bolt ons.....exhaust, CAI, under drives, not swapping out a whole transmission by him self.
    No, a kid with minimal mechanical experience should first do basic maintenance. If this is his daily driver there's no reason to add performance parts until the rest of the car is straightened out, which considering a 15-20 year old car, there will be plenty of work to do.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    No, a kid with minimal mechanical experience should first do basic maintenance. If this is his daily driver there's no reason to add performance parts until the rest of the car is straightened out, which considering a 15-20 year old car, there will be plenty of work to do.
    I agree with that 100%. My comment was when it was time to mod the car. On my first car, the first "mod" was a K&N filter and a set of fog lamps.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Waver View Post
    Sorry about that, I tried to avoid it. Did you also suggest an LT1 Camaro or TA to him too? Huge aftermarket, more power than a stock 96 mustang gt, and they can be found in good condition for around 3000 as well.

So you think a trans swap on a five speed is to complicated for the unbaptized, but then you recommend LT1 F-Bodies!?!?!??!?!

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    So you think a trans swap on a five speed is to complicated for the unbaptized, but then you recommend LT1 F-Bodies!?!?!??!?!
    Well chevy parts are cheap, and stock they do offer a better starting point. Besides, Beagz had one, cant be all that hard lol

Just swapping the plugs on an F body is a PITA. Stick with a Fox, they are way easier to work on.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    Jim hit up a sn95 94-95,get one with a aode throw a shift kit in it and a lock up stall.any major mods will require a tuner such as a PMS heads cam intake is a cheap mod with inj and maf,there are alot of good used parts out there as well as blower kits that can be had cheap. its a solid rear end 8.8 that car on et streets with 350 at the wheels will do 12.5 all day over 400 or a touch more it will dip into the 11s. if you need any help on one of 94-95s i know them like the back of my hand.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Yeah it sounds like the 94-95 is the best bet for this kid so far. Just to clarify, yeah he has NO experience wrenching but has been in my sons car and my cars and he is interested in getting something musclecar-ish but like I said I am thinking a 13-14 second car even would be plenty fast enough for him, and basically maintenance and bolt ons like exhaust etc. would be about as far as he would go or want to buy a car with, at least in the near or foeseeable future.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Then stick with the early sn95 or a late model fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    Jim hit up a sn95 94-95,get one with a aode throw a shift kit in it and a lock up stall.any major mods will require a tuner such as a PMS heads cam intake is a cheap mod with inj and maf,there are alot of good used parts out there as well as blower kits that can be had cheap. its a solid rear end 8.8 that car on et streets with 350 at the wheels will do 12.5 all day over 400 or a touch more it will dip into the 11s. if you need any help on one of 94-95s i know them like the back of my hand.
    <cough..cough> I think this is an excellent idea.

This may be a decent car, hard to tell from the pics. Looks to have the potential to go high 13s the way it sits
    http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/2649606201.html
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Another decent looking car for the money, although it's $3500

http://www.chitownracing.com/forums/...-mustang-gt-fs

Waver-

Please for the love of God don't use your old 88 in any Mustang examples. That thing was the biggest pile of shit. The only reason your front clip stayed on was your fenders kept it from falling off. And the only reason your floor pans were not rusted out was because your rear main pissed enough oil to coat them. What you can use your 88 for is a perfect example how your a car salesman and some salesmen can sell anything.

Jim-

I have a 95 Mustang GT. And like any car it has its pro and cons, it seems like people, love it or hate it. But once they find out that it has a 5.0 they seem to love it more. I don't understand it, like a stock 5.0 is fast? Anyways the pros are that it shares the underpinnings of any 79-2004 the body parts od the 94-98. Which is nice for over the counter parts. Some of the cons are it the odd parts like the timing cover plate and the only 2 year run of tail lights. The tail light can be changed out with 96-98 so it not that bad but still only 4 year runs on that part.

If you buy any Mustang there are major structural rust issues, strut towers, cowl, floor pans, quarter panels and torque boxes. And the torque boxes on most foxs are damaged in some way, if not rust. Most V8 mustangs are beat. If you look with Mustangs with him take someone who knows Mustangs of that era.

If you can find one that isn't a rotted out, and the torque box are not ripped out and cheap go for it. They are out there just getting harder to find. He would better off going down South, out West or look carefully of the areas that I mentioned. Or he could also google Mustang rust.

Not going to get into a discussion on this, but I think you have my 88 confused with someone elses...only rust on my car was the strut towers (typical), which I told the guy who bought it from me, and what appeared to be the rear main seal (fixed by fritz when he did the clutch about 6 months after I got the car) wasnt the problem. It was the lower intake gasket, which I fixed shortly there after. When Marv tuned it, he was surprised that it didnt leak. I sold that car about 8 months before I became a car sales person.

Granted, it wasnt perfect, and it was daily driven. However it is more of an example of "you get what you pay for".
    Last edited by Waver; 10-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    What four eye?

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    Sometimes "different" is just "ugly"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    Potentially, this could be a decent deal!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Maybe Stews mustang would be up for sale. Maybe 2000 $ would buy "they" car? ?