Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar

95 LT1 rebuild advise

I know alot of you guys have played with the LT1s so Id like to know the best way to go in rebuilding for decent power without just guessing what parts to buy.

I already have a stock block with stock alum heads. I could replace the one piston that ate a valve and put my new to me stock heads on and call it a day but Im thinking since i have all winter and a daily driver I would like to try to get 350-400hp out of it while still keeping it reliable and buying a bunch of upgrades to help the chasis handle to much power. I also dont want to spend a bunch of money to have the baddest car on the street. I have nothing to prove to anyone and if i really want to go fast Ill just grab the bike.

So after knowing that

what pistons/rods would you suggest
    should I replace the crank
    what valves/rockers
    should I bother with shorty headers since ive heard the stock manifolds flow decent
    throtlebody/injectors

Ive also considered swapping in 3.73s to replace the 3.42s

The car is a 95 Formula convertible with the M6

GM is slim on this site, lol. Especially LT1, but there's 3 or 4 guys on here that have some pretty badass LT1's. You should seriously look into LS1tech.com, their write ups are pretty detailed on mostly anything you want to do, or are thinking of doing, someone has done some variation of it or the exact same thing (not inspiring but you know what I'm getting at). I coasted their suspension threads for awhile before I went with my current setup. Good luck man.
    Last edited by GHOSST; 09-25-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Thanks for the info. I did some looking of there, guess Ill just have to look harder

There is lots of info out there on proven combo's to make close to that power level you are looking for. That range, you may get right in the middle or there abouts on a 355 with LE2 heads and a decent cam and the like, but that 400+ mark is probably going to need some extra inches to get there. These motors just dont make power as easy as an LS1, but i am convinced that a properly built and properly performing LT1 can be a runnin' mother and work just as effective as an LS1.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

go with an AI head/cam setup.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Nice, I always wanted to go 355 forged with my LT1. I totally forgot about Lloyd Elliot, I used to email them about a future setup, their pretty cool and know good setups based on their head and cam packages. If I recall the LT4 "Hot Cam" kit claimed 400hp or more I think, to the crank I bet, but I'm sure a nice LE setup w/bolt ons would present a pretty stout streetable T/A
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

The LE1 head/cam combo sounds perfect for what Im looking for. I was looking for 350/400hp at the crank if i can get 350+ at the wheels Im gonna really have a blast driving this thing around. Will I have to upgrade the computer? It sounds like I shouldnt have to worry about it with the LE1 kit.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    If the car in your sig pic is the one you're talking about then i'd put wheels on the top of the priority list.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Does this work for you on the wheels advise

Heres a larger pic to get a better feel for it

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    The wheels look decent! Are the back tires to small for the wheel or is it an optical illusion?

I do need to get wider tires. Im running 245s and should have atleast 265s on them. They are just wide enough to be mounted on but I scored them for free from work so I couldnt pass up the deal. Im also trying to find a ram-air hood if anyone knows where I can find one

Nice wheels man, yea, I run 275 all around with no clearance issues. Update that sig bro! Hit up LS1tech and see if anyone is selling a used ram air hood, trust me, when I was suggested to hit up LS1Tech by the guys here to find a secondary air injection system I found one asap. Guys on here had some but they had to dig them up. I'll keep an eye out.
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    -Jimmy E.

Thanks for the advise Ghosst, Ill head over and check it out now.