Thread: Bow hunting

Bow hunting

So I have always wanted to try bow hunting and would like to try it next season. Wish things would have worked out to try it this year but can't. So I am looking for some advice if anyone here bow hunts. I was thinking about finding a used one first then moving up into a new one once I know what I am doing.

What would be a good bow for a beginner? Any type of brand to stay away from? What types of accessories should I have. I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to find a complete used one but how much do you think a good starter bow should go for so I know I am not getting ripped off?

The first thing I would do is go to an archery shop and have them fit you for a bow. Even if you don't buy one from them, you at least know what size you should be looking for in a used one.

Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond are some of the bigger named manufacturers.

There are some things you can cut corners, a good bow is not one of them. Take it from someone who tried a few times. There is a reason that a good bow costs a little more than the crap ones. And when you're dealing with taking the life of an animal versus wounding one, you want to make sure you are confident in your shot.

Good point on getting a bow that fits me. I need to go and find out what my draw length is so I can find something that will fit me like you said. This time of the season I see a lot of good bows forsale I just need to find out what good prices are for them.

I got a pse from my father in law you can get some nice ready to hunt packages at gander and cabelas for 450 or under
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

BCM Cruiser
    Go over to Forge Archery in New Berlin and talk to Steve. He is a great guy and all of the bows are made right there at the shop. Prices are comparable to others and he will let you shoot all of the bows up in the range to try them out and see what you like.