Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

65 Bug Build thread

Car will be here Wednesday, so thought I would start a mini build thread for shits n giggles as it seems theres a few people on here into these cars. I am lowering it as far as I can before I bottom out on my driveway and possibly getting a few cool accessories for it.

I bought a 3" narrowed beam from a guy, drop shocks from Airkewld, drop spindles from CB Performance, narrowed tierods. Also ordered bigger tie rod ends and I am drilling the spindles tomorrow at work to accept a bushing from the underside of the spindle so I can " flip " the tierods to avoid bumpsteer. As low as I am going, the angle for the tierods is going to be drastic without flipping. The flip should make them pretty level and solve that issue. Anyways I painted the beam and heres the first pic:

Oh yea, a shitty pic of the car too from previous owner:

Will get some better pics hopefully wednesday
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

this is going to be very cool
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

BCM Cruiser
    Very cool VW , I always liked the old ones (60's) . That one would look nice with the single blade bumpers.

Here's a couple of ideas http://www.oldbug.com/newmanvw.htm

Adjusters

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

New king pins, link pin bushings and link pins as well as new bearings shoes and drums assembled onto spindles

Ol' School
    white car pork??? thats a new one. How long till its painted black?

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Its beige, no white. I won't be painting this one, not the whole thing anyways. I might two-tone it a baby shit brown or something, who knows.

Drilled out the tie rod mounts on my drop spindles today so I can run 69+ bug tie rods upside down to correct terrible tierod angles from dropping it so low.

And drilled/tapped this cast aluminum skull I've had sitting around forever to use as a shift knob. A little cheesy, but I like it:

I love bugs, good luck with the project, can't wait to see the progress.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Didn't unload my camera yet, so far these are just phone pics. Heres one the wife took on thursday:

We had to shorten the tierods 2 inches on both sides as the ones that came with the new front end were way wrong. Something is funny with the carb so I dropped that off at MOFOCO to get tested and see what the deal with the electric choke is, and in the mean time I'm trying to track down a new master as mine is leaking like a siv. Also having problems with the front end binding so I am off to buy a grease gun and MOAR LUBE. Heres a teaser of where it may or may not sit height wise, I might keep it 2 inchs off the ground for now and get used to driving it like that before slamming it.

Awesome!
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

And for size comparison:

I wanna go lower still, going to drive it like this for awhile and work out the bugs. Its running a little funny and stopping a little funny so it wont be on the road till tuesday or so

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    I like the ride height! Looks dope to me. Did you get a roof rack for it?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Not yet, the one I want that looks nice is like 450

Wink

WOW Thats low! Makes the car look extra tiny...We vote for a wind up key in the back Doing anything for power or just keeping it as a cruiser?

Very nice man

Might switch power plants this winter, not sure yet. I got screwed on this front beam, taking it out tonight to try and figure out whats wrong with it. Anyone know / understand these torsion front suspension systems?

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Keeping the stocker's for wheels? Some Fuchs would look neat on there. What are you going to do for a power plant?
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

nice stuff pork. Is that Colondro's fat ass under there? He told me you were going to help him with his new bug also.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    Might switch power plants this winter, not sure yet. I got screwed on this front beam, taking it out tonight to try and figure out whats wrong with it. Anyone know / understand these torsion front suspension systems?
    Whats going on with it? Binding in travel? Its two parrallel torsion bars in steel tubes for protection. Preload on each bar is set with the adjuster, which can be used to set suspension height.

clicky linky to exploded view
    http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/8975/c...8975fig81L.gif
    Last edited by WickedSix; 05-26-2011 at 04:14 PM.