86'SS to the dyno

Took my SS to Late Model Throttle to see what it puts down, the original 305 was swapped out back in 2004 for a mild 383 and nothing has been done to it (the motor, not the car as much) since. Here are the pulls:

The car ran a little lean at WOT, I plan to adjust for that. I'm relatively happy with the results, it was about what I had expected when the motor was put together and based on the 1/4 mile times I ran back in 2007 with it. 313 hp and 344 ft lbs of torque.

= I can't believe how long it's been...yikes.

The plan is to get another Q-Jet I have rebuilt/built for it over winter, or at least richen my current one with the rich stop plus get some DR's for it next time I take to GLD, doubtful for this year yet but for sure next year. Damn wedding expenses taking away from buying car parts .
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Looks good.

Interesting to see what it would do at the track with stickies.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    JLP
    79 Monte
    406/2004R/Phord 9"

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cool stuff...details on the build? Heads? cam? intake?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Vortec heads, Comp cam: http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=196&sb=2 , flat top pistons, Edelbrock Performer intake, 1.5 Crane Gold roller rockers, Hooker headers, gutted cat and 2.5" cat back exhaust. Stock CCC system and Q-Jet. Ordering the hard to find Q-Jet tools to adjust the rich stop among other things this weekend, should help and hopefully I make time for a few runs (GLD) this fall yet to see if anything improves.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Sounds like a good build.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    JLP
    79 Monte
    406/2004R/Phord 9"

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Going by what you said, keep the original DR rods that came with the Quadrajet in the car and put a G hanger on it. A B hanger will probably be too rich.

That cam is a relatively lopey cam, it's probably running too lean just off idle still. A lopey cam allows for double-metering of the air and masks the lean condition from the tiny primaries.

I'd abandon the CCC carburetor and go with an electric choke 70s Quadrajet. Avoid the APT version found on the trucks in the 80s. The linkages bind on your current carb if you modify it so the secondaries open beyond 70°.

You can also modify the vacuum can so as to avoid quadrabog.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Thanks for the feedback. One thing that's true is there are many different ideas to help richen the A/F ratio at WOT. Hangers, rods and rich stop adjustment all have been mentioned to me. No plans to abandon the CCC setup here, good driveability. If I wanted to go all out, then I'll do more research on what carb to choose . The Quadrabog and Quadrajunk monikers don't really carry much weight with me. I don't pretend to be a carb expert but know enough that these carbs are misunderstood and under appreciated by many. Never really had an issue with bog on this carb. Did with a rebuilt one I tried for awhile and re-sold.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Just had my LS dyno-tuned at West Bend dyno, the person who street tuned it last fall (Brian) tuned it again. Didn't gain much but at least I know it's as good as it's going to get as is. Thought I would of had a little more hp but pretty happy with the torque.

The final peak numbers are 237hp @ 4528 RPM/ 336 ft lbs @ 3321 RPM. Might scan in the chart this week. Mild 350 with Vortec heads & few standard mods (CAI, headers/cat back exhaust) plus a few other minor things. Probably worth noting West Bend uses a Mustang Dyno and Late Model uses a Dyno Jet.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    JProbably worth noting West Bend uses a Mustang Dyno and Late Model uses a AWD Dyno Jet.
    Edited.

Will the AWD Dyno Jet read different than a non AWD Dyno Jet? That's a legit question, not snarky .
    Last edited by PB86MCSS; 10-09-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Too be honest I'm not sure.

Im sure someone will chime in though.