Narrowed Rear-ends, anyone?

Thought we would post a few pictures of our newest service offered at the shop. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to customize a rear-end for you!
    DSC07560.jpg
    DSC07563.jpg
    DSC07562.jpg
    DSC07565.jpg
    DSC07564.jpg

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, why didn't you just cut the tubes off and weld on new flanges?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I DO NOT Agree doing it that way. Looks like a hack just did that at home. welds are not good eather. look at rge heat in the tubes not even. and welds look like they are growing a back bone. but a its your shop your call. but welding them like that if that car gets in a crash you better hope you have good INS
    "My cars got miles.... Garage queens, that's your style"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwII0k2bSpM

Ten years ago if you had 500HP you were the man. Now days that means you bought a new car

Post whore Lawn Pac Champion Irish's Avatar
    Is there any advantage or disadvantage narrowing a rear end this way opposed to cutting the tubes and welding new flanges on?

Welding it the way that you did, do the welds become the weak point should the rear end flex?

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    If the material is welded properly, the weld will never be the weak point. I guess I'm also wondering why new flanges weren't just welded onto the old tubes, but I don't think the way pictured above will be unsafe or anything like that.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    I've welded real tubes (read: D60 HD) with nickel rod and had them break right next to the weld. But 6,000lb vehicle bouncing violently with nearly unlimited traction at ~16,000ftlbs of torque at the wheel is a bit different from a car.

For me, I was more worried about the end tubes that were cut off staying aligned with the carrier's centerline.

Then again, that axle isn't anything to be desired to begin with. So a little hillbilly doesn't matter. I still would have spent the $15 for new flanges and saved some time.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

There aren't actually any flanges on this rear-end (small 10-bolt) the ends of the tubes are just machined with a backing plate. As for the alignment, many measurements were taken along with an alignment tool to ensure proper fit and alignment for the customers car. Thanks!

what vehicle is it going under? if its more than say a 2.2 s10 I hope bracing is the next step because those weld will be experiencing a significant torsional and bending force.

The proper way, from an engineers perspective, is to torch the slug welds and press the tubes out of the housing. shorten the tube on the machined end and remachine the end to the proper OD. press the tubes back into the housing oriented by a jig, weld new slugs and add a weld around the housing to tube interfaces for good measure. Though this method requires machinging it eliminates misalignment of the tubes due to the press fit, but does obviously require more tools than the average shade tree mechanic will have access to.

Agreed with pressing the tubes. However, this rear-end is just going under a little MG and if it were anything more substantial, greater consideration would be taken into account to ensure maximum structural strength. Rest assure :