Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z33Art 3.1 Comes To Life!

I was finally able to start up the 630Z this weekend with the new setup and it is simply amazing! Motor is a 12.5:1 compression stroked LS1 running on E85! I am running rich right now and not fully tuned but the car is extremely quick already! Specs are as follows:

-LS1 Aluminum Block
    -Callies 4.00" crank (383 Stroker)
    -Callies H-Beam Rods
    -ARP Head Studs
    -Diamond Racing 12.5:1 Pistons
    -ACL Main/Rod Bearings
    -PAC Beehive Springs
    -Texas Speed Pushrods
    -Texas Speed Torquer 2 Cam
    -Custom Headers
    -Custom Exhaust
    -Ported Throttle Body
    -Electromotive TEC GT Standalone ECU
    -Howe Custom Radiator
    -TCI TH400
    -Circle D Torque Converter
    -Driveshaft Shop Custom Driveshaft
    -JAZ Fuel Cell
    -Twin Walbro 255 External Fuel Pumps
    -Percision Turbo 65lb/hr Injectors
    -Clocks Off Racing Custom Chromoly Cage
    -Speedhut Gauges

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdgZsKdG2CA

More to come very shortly including dyno numbers and track results assuming nothing breaks.

A huge thanks to all my friends who have helped me with this project including Clocks Off Racing!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Congrats!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Nice intake, ricer!

Hahaha, just kidding. Car is positively gorgeous, and I'm sure it runs nasty...do you have a ballpark power estimate?

Lol. I am actually in the process of ordering material for a single 4" intake as I don't like the twin anymore.

I am guessing somewhere in the range of 450-475whp. I am hoping to take it to the dyno sometime next week depending on how much break in time I can get and what the rest of my schedule looks like. If I drive the car to work this week I will get it weighed at Clocks Off Racing, but I am guessing it is somewhere under 3,000lbs.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Bad ass man!
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

been at the shop late and still havent seen the unicorn z roll through yet..............
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

BCM Cruiser
    its located in a huuuge cave......a man cave i hear.......loaded with beer.......lol
    03 Nissan 350z BUILT Greddy TT
    11.2 @ 128..... slow 2.0 60ft .....
    05 Titan DD

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    been at the shop late and still havent seen the unicorn z roll through yet..............
    Today is the day my man! I brought it to work and will stop over after work. Hoping we can weigh the car!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    This thing is gonna be silly with a little juice put to it!

Weighed the car today and it came in at 2,871 lbs! This is full of fluids including gas but without me in the car. I could absolutely get the car below 2,800 with some new lighter brakes, wheels and tires on it.

it sounds good!
    its actually kinda funny hearing that exhaust tone and seeing the car.lol
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    it sounds good!
    its actually kinda funny hearing that exhaust tone and seeing the car.lol
    Lol. I still haven't gotten 100% to a rumbling sound when I start the car.

I'm scheduled to hit the dyno at 4 today!

awesome!!! can't wait to hear results of the dyno

Quote Originally Posted by srt4eh View Post
    awesome!!! can't wait to hear results of the dyno
    Well things didn't go as planned which is kind of expected. I am either having timing issues or it is the E85 and how it burns. Going to do more research and go back to the dyno at a latter date.

I understand completely!

Quote Originally Posted by srt4eh View Post
    I understand completely!
    Lol. I think it was actually my spark plugs having to large of a gap. Electromotive who make the standalone and iginition setup I run, recommends a spark plug gap of .022" for anything over 10psi or 12:1 compression. Since I am at 12.5:1 this could be the problem. The issue only occured up top like misfire which I think could be irratic spark or spark blowout.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    E85 does require a stronger spark..
    With that said .022" N/A SAD. I ran between .035-.040 at 20psi of boost on E85 in the RB26 240... That was with LS2 coils.

Even with my Honda setup I did stock gap (IIRC .035") with stock coils with a little higher than 12.5:1 and E85, taking it to 8500 RPM. No issues what-so-ever.

Consider converting to LS-based coils.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    E85 does require a stronger spark..
    With that said .022" N/A SAD. I ran between .035-.040 at 20psi of boost on E85 in the RB26 240... That was with LS2 coils.

Even with my Honda setup I did stock gap (IIRC .035") with stock coils with a little higher than 12.5:1 and E85, taking it to 8500 RPM. No issues what-so-ever.

Consider converting to LS-based coils.
    I called Electromotive and they said I should have been fine at .035". I'm going to double check my timing and check that my crank signal is consistent.

What kind of plugs would you recommend for E85? I am using NGK TR6's and I actually think they may be one step to cold of a plug. The car isn't making the power it should and based on my research, the proper heat is a bit more important with alcohol based fuels as the cylinder temps are much cooler and you can get incomplete combustion quite easily with too cold of a plug. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note related to heat numbers, the car runs much harder during warmup than it should which leads me to believe I need to go one step hotter.
    Last edited by Z33Art; 09-13-2011 at 07:27 AM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Z33Art View Post
    I called Electromotive and they said I should have been fine at .035". I'm going to double check my timing and check that my crank signal is consistent.

What kind of plugs would you recommend for E85? I am using NGK TR6's and I actually think they may be one step to cold of a plug. The car isn't making the power it should and based on my research, the proper heat is a bit more important with alcohol based fuels as the cylinder temps are much cooler and you can get incomplete combustion quite easily with too cold of a plug. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note related to heat numbers, the car runs much harder during warmup than it should which leads me to believe I need to go one step hotter.
    You can certainly try to run a hotter plug, as the combustion temps and octane rating is so much better with E85. I typically run a standard NGK copper plug. Mostly familiar with the import stuff so I'm just not to sure what the TR6s are. If they are copper, resistor type, then they are likely fine. You can play with plug temp and electrode/plug sizing as you see fit.

Honestly running hard during warmup is fairly common with E85. An off-the-shelf tune with just minor fuel tweaking like injector scaling will make it that much worse. On a cold engine you need LOTS more fuel with E85, just the name of the game.

I assume you have a good power and ground run directly to the Electromotive coils?

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    You can certainly try to run a hotter plug, as the combustion temps and octane rating is so much better with E85. I typically run a standard NGK copper plug. Mostly familiar with the import stuff so I'm just not to sure what the TR6s are. If they are copper, resistor type, then they are likely fine. You can play with plug temp and electrode/plug sizing as you see fit.

Honestly running hard during warmup is fairly common with E85. An off-the-shelf tune with just minor fuel tweaking like injector scaling will make it that much worse. On a cold engine you need LOTS more fuel with E85, just the name of the game.

I assume you have a good power and ground run directly to the Electromotive coils?
    The TR6's are a resistor type plug but they are not copper. I am going attemp to find a set of copper resistor plugs in the stock heat range (7) and see how they do. At idle I am running a bit rich but I am actually idling at the minimum injector off time right now so there is little I can do to make it better short of raising my idle to 1,300-1,500 rpm's.

The coils have the recommended grounding and power supplies per Electromotive. I have verified that the grounding is good so that shouldn't be the problem. I have not been able to test if I have voltage drop up top which could be a possibility I guess. I am at the point where there are a number of small things I could do that would be added insurance such as increasing the size of my battery ground and engine ground strap.