1999 Chevy silverado fuel gauge doesn't work

Looking at picking up a 99 Silverado. the fuel gauge doesn't work it's been owned by my uncle since 2002 and the fuel gauge has been not working for the last few years. he say's it's not a big deal if you "keep gas in it" i'd like to know if it is something in the fuel pump or the float itself? and is this a pretty big job (drop the tank/pull the bed off?)

thanks.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Trip odometer

Seriously though, my guess is a problem with the in-tank level sender. Not sure if you can get to that without dropping the tank, but should be pretty damn straightforward even if you do have to drop the tank.

Did some looking around and looks like the sending units fail frequently on these. doesn't look hard just time consuming.

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    GM trucks have had fuel pump/sending units since the 90's, good reason why they are cheaper then other pumps to replace.

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    nick, I already sent you step by step directions you homo
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

hey fuckrod. i asked this before i knew you could transport me the directions. Thanks Frank.

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    Never doubt a transporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

The only problem you will run into at that age is RUST. The lines will likely be rusted together, and you will probably need a new retaining ring for the pump itself. If you do the entire pump instead of just the sender you will probably also have to cut the harness and splice in a new flat 4 wire connector (the stocker is square.) We also have had numerous instrument cluster issues in our trucks the last 10 years+ To verify the sender is the problem, disconnect the fuel pump connector from the top of the tank, and hook a test sender up to the harness side. Or failing that, you can get yourself a few resistors. The min and max for empty and full is 40 ohm and 240ohm respectively.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

dad had an early 90 chevy truck with bad ground, we justjump wired a ground from the tank to the frame
    2016 jeep cherokee trailhawk

2006 toyota matrix

2007 Harley Ultra classic

Senior Member..now yer posting! outlawgibbs's Avatar
    This is a easy fix. Just crawl under and unbolt the box and tilt it outta the way to have easy reach to the top of the fuel pump. Also they have the quick dissconnect lines so rust wont be an issue and if you do order a new fuel pump they all come with a new wireing harness because most of the problems with them is due to the plugs shorting out not the pump going bad. Its common and one of the few problems these trucks have. The speedo cluster problems didnt start till the later models. My 99 has 208k and still running strong, my Dads 00 has 240k and runs better then my 99