12 gauge reloading

Hello I am intrested in learning to reload my own 12 ga trap shells what advise do you guys have I am leaning towards picking this up

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...H&merchID=4006

my biggest concern is I would have to do the reloading in the garage because I do not have a basement where we live is this a problem or not?

looking forward to the responses
    thanks
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

the MEC 600 jr is a good entry-level reloader. On a good day, you can expect to load 6 boxes an hour with it, not 10 as listed in the ad. I used one of these for 20+ years without a problem. You should have no problem using it in the garage, but when not in use, keep it covered to keep it clean. I would find a cool place to store the powder when not using the reloader.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Spend the money on a Lee. After the aggravation of using anything else you will appreciate it. Plus, Lee Precision is a Wisconsin company.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I thought mec was made in mayville wisconsin?? I could be wrong

my cousin reloads and I was talking with him tonight he claims there is no benifet unless you use 2000 to 3000 rounds a year the leauge I shoot I will use 3 cases this year, I also have a buddy here in town who reloads maybe I could split the cost of supplies and work with him

Mec is in mayville wi
    http://www.mecreloaders.com/
    Last edited by xxtremeteam; 07-22-2011 at 08:09 PM.
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Spend the money on a Lee. After the aggravation of using anything else you will appreciate it. Plus, Lee Precision is a Wisconsin company.
    QFT! I have a lee loader turret for brass and i love it.

guys the Lee 12 ga loader is 100.00 cheaper and looks not as well built I guess off to youtube to see a video of the lee in use
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...H&merchID=4006

The MEC is a better built unit. The design has lasted for over 40 years.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Lee is in Hartford.

MEC is in Mayville.

Richard Lee is a pretty cool guy. He's a little more dedicated. He won't make anything that isn't inexpensive and works well. Even if you buy a MEC make sure you get Lee's book on handloading. It's worth it.

I used to have MEC and RCBS stuff. I never understood why you could always buy it second hand so cheap but you'd rarely find Lee stuff. There is a reason for it. So I sold my MEC and RCBS stuff.

Two reasons migrated me to Lee... less likely to blow myself up because it handles primers better... and the dies. The dies are works of art and I rarely have to deal with trimming the cases. I usually get one more reload before the case is too work-hardened to take any more abuse.

I have a Load-All II and the reason I got it was because it was cheap and I saw how slick it was. I used to use a RCBS press.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

the price on lee is making me like it more but how many rounds a year are you guys using I might shoot maybe 4 cases a year is that enough to make reloading worth it?

I used to be able to reload trap shells for about 1/2 the cost of new. I know component prices have gone up since I reloaded. The MEC website has a reloading cost calculator that let's you figure the cost of reloading your own shells. I would start there and see if it makes sense to get into reloading. If you don't reload this year, at least start saving your empty shells in case you start reloading in the future.

I think you really need to get a reloading manual for shot shells. There is a world of difference in hulls, primers, powder, and wad, to how much shot you want to load. In my opinion Lyman's makes a good reloading manual for shotgun and you can also get more data from Hodgdon and other makers web sites.

mec reloaders | alliant powder