Thread: Electrical

I have no idea where I am 94greenbandit's Avatar

Electrical

Why would someone tell me that for outlets I can use a 20Amp breaker with 12g wire and then say I can use a 15amp outlet. I didn't realize about the outlets until I get home. Is this bad or can I use the outlets as is. This is for a bedroom

Looking for Fozy parts Want_Notch's Avatar
    If you have a 20A breaker your NEED 20A outlets
    2001 Subaru Forester

Sure you could do that. Should you? No. Here's why. If you use a 20amp breaker with 15 amp outlets, you could potentially overload the outlets on that circuit and never blow the breaker because they don't match. It would work though, power is power. But I highly recommend you do not do this.

Wrong, 15amp outlets are acceptable for 20amp circuits, as long as the SINGLE OUTLET and Breaker are not dedicated. I.E. Microwave, Fridge, Etc.

Last edited by nismodave; 07-07-2011 at 11:52 AM.

would it be more apt to say you shouldn't use a device on any one outlet in that scenario that exceeds the outlets rating? whereas you could run two 10 amp appliances on two different outlets in parrallel on that 20 amp circuit?

This is in a bedroom that might have a reading lamp and a alarm clock. Can't see much more being down there, no appliances for sure

You're fine. As stated above unless it's a dedicated outlet you only need 15A outlets. I promise you, the outlets in your kitchen and bathroom are 15A outlets wired to 20A circuits with 12ga wire.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    Wrong, 15amp outlets are acceptable for 20amp circuits, as long as the SINGLE OUTLET and Breaker are not dedicated. I.E. Microwave, Fridge, Etc.

FWIW, when I was in the trade, both the companies I worked for used 15A outlets for the fridge and microwave, on dedicated 20A circuits.

Thanks for the help guys