LS1 Machine Shop

Hey everyone.

I just purchased a new rotating assembly for my LS1 today and I am looking for a machine shop to bore and hone the cylinders plus deck the block. Any suggestions on machine shops in the Milwaukee or Chicago area that do LS motors and would have a torque plate?

On a side note, the assembly is a Callies crank and rods with Diamond pistons to top it off. The new setup is a 383 stroker with close to 13:1 compression ratio. Hoping for low 400whp through the TH400 on E85.

wagner automotive. did all the ls stuff for asa I have there number at home
    "My cars got miles.... Garage queens, that's your style"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwII0k2bSpM

Ten years ago if you had 500HP you were the man. Now days that means you bought a new car

Speed Inc, in schaumburg, not that close, but they specialize in anything and everything LSX!
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSST View Post
    Speed Inc, in schaumburg, not that close, but they specialize in anything and everything LSX!
    they do not have an in house machine shop and they use MTI in texas to build/do most of their machine work i thought? Pretty much most places around can handle typical LSX machine work... balancing, crank resizing, line bore, cam bearings, decking, yada yada. the torque plate is the issue where most wont have. Wegner motorsports IS the only one i know of as mentioned by Jim, somewhat locally who can do it with a plate. For example i just had C&S do an LS block for me and i thought they did great work but i didnt have to drastically increase the bore size either. I have built iron block engines and had NVR bore them w/o a plate and it worked, not saying its right or wrong but your choices are limited. Besides if you are using an AL LS1 block, you can only go .010" over anyway to make it a 347. or 38x with a 4.00 inch crank.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 07-15-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

^^
    Ya I was like, the alum engines really cant be bored at all...

I had C and S in butler to my machining for my LS7. I had them cut the crank .9xx and balance the crank pulley.

Reving it to 7 feels great, though with the stock cam I shift at 6500 or so.

4687 N 124th St
    Butler, WI 53007-1922
    (262) 781-0469

My mistake!
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    they do not have an in house machine shop and they use MTI in texas to build/do most of their machine work i thought? Pretty much most places around can handle typical LSX machine work... balancing, crank resizing, line bore, cam bearings, decking, yada yada. the torque plate is the issue where most wont have. Wegner motorsports IS the only one i know of as mentioned by Jim, somewhat locally who can do it with a plate. For example i just had C&S do an LS block for me and i thought they did great work but i didnt have to drastically increase the bore size either. I have built iron block engines and had NVR bore them w/o a plate and it worked, not saying its right or wrong but your choices are limited. Besides if you are using an AL LS1 block, you can only go .010" over anyway to make it a 347. or 38x with a 4.00 inch crank.
    Hmmmm......maybe I need a 4.00" crank
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Always heard good stuff about C&S. They were going to do the work on my isuzu block before I pulled the plug on the project, it was a block I'm sure they'd never seen before (and an I-4) and they didn't blink at doing the work.