This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar

Video Driver/Graphics Card Issues

So yesterday my computer begins not starting properly after installing a directx update, goes into startup recovery mode where it restores to last known "good" setup, no luck. Something here is really messed up, wouldn't even boot into Linux nor boot linux from disc (was going to try to copy important files, I have a dual boot setup). I reinstalled w7 which fixed things until I went to reinstall my video drivers (Nvidia 8800M GTS, this is a notebook). Each time I install the video driver (tried several different drivers, new and old), it will make it past the splash screen, but then be a blank black screen and won't do anything else. After manually restarting it will once again go into recovery mode where it will restore before the driver install, which now works fine.

Any ideas? I'm thinking my graphics card went bad or perhaps registry errors, not sure though. Any advice would be great.

EDIT: Did a full reformat and reinstall, still won't let me install the drivers or recognize the video card in the device manager.
    Last edited by FoxStang; 06-04-2011 at 11:48 PM.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

A very interesting problem, one I haven't encountered before. It is certainly possible that some part of the video circuitry went bad which is not allowing even a Linux live cd to run properly ( that was really the key test, good call on trying that). At least one of the video modes must be working or you wouldn't see anything at all. Can't be a registry issue if it's affecting a Linux live cd as well. What make model of notebook is it? It may be possible to pull the video board and replace it if you so desire. Though the labor costs could be rather high if the board is hard to get at.

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    A very interesting problem, one I haven't encountered before. It is certainly possible that some part of the video circuitry went bad which is not allowing even a Linux live cd to run properly ( that was really the key test, good call on trying that). At least one of the video modes must be working or you wouldn't see anything at all. Can't be a registry issue if it's affecting a Linux live cd as well. What make model of notebook is it? It may be possible to pull the video board and replace it if you so desire. Though the labor costs could be rather high if the board is hard to get at.
    Gateway P173FX, I've pulled it half apart before so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but unfortunately the video card is integral to the motherboard so the whole thing needs to be replaced, not something I'm willing to do for a three year old laptop. It's kind of a weird setup, its running on internal graphics right now, so it must have both. Probably a dumb question, but is it at all possible to just pull the chip somehow? This kind of sucks because they made the internal video real crappy because of the built in 8800 chip.
    2004 Explorer- Daily

No, you wouldn't want to try to pull the chip. It's likely soldered to the board and you'd need special soldering equipment to take it out.

Meh, I'll prolly just build a budget system to replace it, don't necessarily need a laptop anymore.
    2004 Explorer- Daily

How budget are you thinking? I also have a couple of HP laptops here that have been sitting in stock for a few months. You can have either one at current wholesale cost + tax.

I was going to build a desktop since I don't necessarily need a laptop anymore, and it probably wouldn't be until later this summer. Although how much did you have in mind, pm me a price if you don't want to post it, do they have hdmi outs on them?
    2004 Explorer- Daily